Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Antwerp {BEL}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:22 am

Programs: Onetime bmi * Gold lifetime membership, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold
I stayed for one night at the Antwerp Hilton on November 28 2009 and following an upgrade to an executive room, have to say that I found the Executive Lounge to be one of the best I've used. The standard of European lounges is generally better than those offered in the US but this lounge was outstanding. Breakfast consisted of an extensive range of cold - and unusually - hot food with tea and coffee brought to the table. I can't think of another lounge where I haven't had to get my own coffee.

At other times of day the food was more limited. I had a couple of nice cakes for afternoon tea but dined in the hotel restaurant for dinner so didn't use the lounge then.

I think what impressed me most about the lounge was its size and location. It's on the top floor of the hotel with large windows with an outdoor terrace for use in summer. It is very large - maybe the largest - lounge I've used. It's also in a hotel which, whilst well appointed with a good range of facilities, might not have a lounge at all. I stayed in the Hilton Brussels City two days before with no lounge and the Conrad Brussels which didn't have a lounge either.

Overall my experience was rather different than the previous reviewer, although I agree with many of their positive comments. Also I didn't encounter drunken Dutch-speaking teenagers in the corridor. I wonder if it might not have been so bad had they been speaking French... ;-)

bmifly
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I've stayed here a couple of times very recently, both times to an executive floor. Once in a junior suite overlooking the square by the restaurant, which was a great view. The other time I had an interior room, looking at other rooms across the shopping mall glass roof. I don't much care for interior rooms because I always feel self-conscious about walking around not wearing much.

Staff are very helpful.

At check-in (only once per stay), a plate of something or other was delivered to the room, typically some cheese and/or meats of some sort. Also, a small box of Guylian sea shell chocolates and large bottle Vittel still water were provided at check-in (once per stay).

Breakfast in the lounge was better than domestic U.S., but not nearly as good as I've come to expect from European Hiltons -- no salmon, for example. Also, even at the restaurant in the lobby, salmon is only available at breakfast during the week, not on weekends!

Outside of breakfast, lounge food/snacks are very limited.

As others have noted, the hotel is in a terrific location, with easy walking access to much that Antwerp has, and close by a few tram stops.

The bathrooms of both rooms were nice, but the stall shower could use some minor improvements. At present, it's a very high step up, which can be a little dangerous when wet. A small extra step would make it much easier. More annoying, there is no place for a towel, so one must drip across the floor to the tub to get one. A simple towel rack affixed to the outside of the shower door would fix this.

The safe is far too small for a laptop.

A proper tea kettle is provided for heating water.

Last edited by anabolism; Feb 27, 2011 at 8:54 am Reason: Clarify that meat/cheese and Guylian chocolates are once per stay
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I am a fan of this property, somewhat perhaps given the nearly alternatives, but still in 7-8 stays I have always been upgraded to the EL and the lounge is decent. Parking is convenient and attached/covered but expensive. I have never gotten to use the gym (concession) as it opens at some absurd hour like 10 am.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 3:08 am
AHN

Programs: SK EBG
And I meet such nice people in the lounge there!
Old Mar 2, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
This is a new one for me: today in the lounge three business people conducting a conference call over a cellphone (seemed to be about buying used cars or something )! Rather disruptive. I guess they didn't want to conduct the call in one of their rooms because they wanted to chow down, and didn't want to wait. (An older fat man, whose phone it was, and doing most of the shouting; a younger guy; and a woman, who looked a tiny bit embarrassed at the group being so loud and obnoxious, or perhaps it was at the prices for the used cars, not sure which )

In the scale of things, I'll take loud used-car buyers over smokers, any day of the week! (Drunken teens in their underwear might be amusing, although not at 5:30 AM!)

Originally Posted by nollag
sundaymorning we woke up at 05:30 am because of a group of drunk Dutch speaking youngsters( boys and girls ) sitting in the corridor in their underwear while commenting on their evening out in Antwerp .

One evening there was a gang of teenage boys in there smoking away, and coughing and spluttering all over the food.
Originally Posted by AHN
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by AHN
Old Jan 29, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Food/drink provision in Antwerp Hilton Lounge

I would be grateful if someone could outline the food provision in the Antwerp Hilton lounge. In my own experience, Hilton lounges are VERY variable, e.g. Hilton Salt Lake City was just bottles of water (literally nothing else!), while both Sorrento and Tokyo had wonderful spreads, with lots of assorted snacks/food/drink throughout the entire day. So, I wonder where Antwerp falls in the scale of things.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The various Hilton Antwerp threads seem to indicate variable experiences, but I remember it as being in the middle - not as spare as some in Europe, certainly not USA Hiltons and their penurious ways, though not the Conrad Singapore or Hong Kong. The hotel is a bit "old school" but ideally situated for some great walking - Rubenshuis (Peter Paul rubern's house) and other sites, the Koninklijk Museum voor Schone Kunsten, Sir Anthony Van Dijck restaurant (the chef gave up his Michelin stars to enjoy greater freedom), etc. all very nice, the hotel an ideal spot to enjoy it all from (and easy to get to from Centraal rail station on the tram).
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:07 am

I have always found something to eat there. After breakfast I have seen them leaving for instance some pastries (instead of removing them like in most hotels). And in the afternoon they generally have some cake and cookies. (However, I don't remember seeing anything there that could be considered a "lunch".)

Anyway, there are plenty of food options in the streets surrounding the hotel, and a supermarket in the basement.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:09 pm

Dinner time 6-8 they have warm food such as meatballs, chicken nuggets, fish, beef dishes etc, enough food for those nights when I don't feel like eating in a restaurant.
But instead of eating at the lounge, you should get something at one of those fries shop, for a few euro you can get a warm and taste dinner.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:25 pm

Email for Hilton Antwerp?

Why do Hilton treat their hotel email addresses as state secrets? I have a question for the Hilton Antwerp staff, so if anyone has an email for them, please post!
For those interested, the question is that their online room descriptions say the rooms take 2 adults, 1 child, but the booking engine does not allow more than 2 per room...

Thanks,
Wexflyer
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Why not just book a room for two people? Front desk staff won't care how many people will end up in the room.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by lewende
Why not just book a room for two people? Front desk staff won't care how many people will end up in the room.
They will just as soon as I ask for a rollaway. Otherwise nowhere to sleep...
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:57 am

Programs: HHonors: Diamond, DL: Plat
Here are the contacts I have from my stay last week. I sent and email to Chantal and received a response within 15 minutes.

Chantal Brion – Journey Ambassador ([email protected])
Luuk Kok – Duty Manager ([email protected])
Leen De Win - Guest Service Agent ([email protected])

Tel: +32 (0)3 204 12 16
Fax: +32 (0)3 204 12 13
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by samikitty
Here are the contacts I have from my stay last week. I sent and email to Chantal and received a response within 15 minutes.

Chantal Brion – Journey Ambassador ([email protected])
Luuk Kok – Duty Manager ([email protected])
Leen De Win - Guest Service Agent ([email protected])

Tel: +32 (0)3 204 12 16
Fax: +32 (0)3 204 12 13
Thanks a million, emails on their way....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.