Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton New York City - Times Square {US-NY} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton New York City - Times Square {US-NY} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2004, 7:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by Jack
Thank you for your replies. I did call the hotel and they promised to give us a suite on a higher floor as it offers a better view and is much quieter, per the front desk. The person I spoke to was very friendly and accommodating. They also said that they offer a free breakfast buffet on the 5th floor. Other posting that say no breakfast was offered surprises me, don't these people ask for the benefits of HH?
When I was there in March of 2003 the front desk tried to tell me that I didn't qualify for breakfast as a Diamond because I was on an award stay. Fortunately I had an e-mail from HHonors confirming that we get the same benefits on award stays as on paid stays. I was able to convince the front desk person to sign me up for the free breakfasts (they didn't use coupons; they put my name on a list.) Yes, sometimes you have to ask.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I have read a lot about this hotel, as I had a stay in NYC in June. I ended up using miles for an award stay here for 2 nights.

In my opinion, this hotel was quite worn and felt to me like Southwest airlines feels to me. I did have a room, and after much begging, received a room at the end of the hall, per my request. I did not have any problems getting breatkfast as a gold, which was good. I just didn't feel the room I was in had been maintained, or that the property was anywhere near the number of points I spent on it.

I have stayed at the Millenium Hilton downtown, which I very much enjoyed. As it was renovated last year, it is nice looking, but also the staff treats you very well. This will always be my first choice here.

When I travel, I often am seeing people in my hotel room, so the look of the room and hotel is important to me. Also, the size and fact I have a seperate sitting area is important.

I am currently in NYC and staying at the ES downtown. Here, as a Diamond (my 3rd stay since hitting Diamond!) I have a good size (probably 1/3 larger than the TS DT) suite, in a nice building, with a staff that tries to make you feel welcome. I don't like it as much as the Millenium, but the staff is much better than the TS DT, from my experience.

I know many don't like downtown, but I really have no problem with it. I often have a view of water, it is somewhat quiet, there are resturants around, and in the ES there is even a movie theater. You can always grab a cab to another part of the city. I personally didn't like the throngs of people always in Times Square.

As I said, I am sure many won't agree with my choice of location, but I know I wish I would have known about the state of the DT ahead of time.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 2:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
The Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square is an ALL-SUITE hotel, so how would you NOT get one of the suites???

Ok, one of the nice corner suites with a giant corner couch and a dining area. I meant one of what they call the conference suites (12 of them), or the presidential suites.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Trying to extend 5-days GLONP2 into 6 days

I'm trying to get in Nov a 6-days GLONP2 in DT Tomes Sq. So far I got the reservation for 5 days. The days before and after (the 5) not avail (per HHonors redemption desk and via Internet).
Did anybody ever tried to call hotel directly to extend/get an award day that is not avail via HHonors? Can this work?
Old Sep 30, 2004, 5:51 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
I stayed at the ES downtown and the DT Time Square earlier this year, and I agree with previous comments that the ES is a nicer property. However the location for the DT is fantastic. I've also stayed at the Millenium Hilton, Time Square Hilton and the Waldorf Astoria.

My favourite, and always the first one I check is the Waldorf Astoria.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
The NYC DT on an award stay question...

I was wondering, I did a search and found that some people have had problems getting their breakfast certificates on an award stay at the DoubleTree in NYC. I have an award stay there this weekend. If I'm not offered the certificates and I ask and they say I don't get them on an award stay, who do I talk to regarding the situation? The Front desk manager, the general manager or call Hilton? I hate having to "fight" for breakfast certificates when on an award stay! I've stayed at the Waldorf Towers a few times, the Waldorf, the Millenium, the NY Hilton and the Times Square Hilton. When I checked availability for an award, the Hilton Times Square and the DoubleTree were available. I chose the DoubleTree just because I'd like to check it out. Then I read how hh gold people have a hard time obtaining their breakfast certificates.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by traveler4ever
I was wondering, I did a search and found that some people have had problems getting their breakfast certificates on an award stay at the DoubleTree in NYC. I have an award stay there this weekend. If I'm not offered the certificates and I ask and they say I don't get them on an award stay, who do I talk to regarding the situation? The Front desk manager, the general manager or call Hilton? I hate having to "fight" for breakfast certificates when on an award stay! I've stayed at the Waldorf Towers a few times, the Waldorf, the Millenium, the NY Hilton and the Times Square Hilton. When I checked availability for an award, the Hilton Times Square and the DoubleTree were available. I chose the DoubleTree just because I'd like to check it out. Then I read how hh gold people have a hard time obtaining their breakfast certificates.
I've never had a problem getting the certs. If they don't give them to you, just ask them for them. Last time I stayed there, they knew by my room number that I was to get free breakfast. Didn't give out the certs at all. No problem the next morning when we ordered. Just paid the tip and all was good.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 1:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I was there last week on a six night award stay combined with two paid nights. The front desk confirmed that as a Diamond I got free breakfast when I checked in for both stays (had to check out and check back in). As was pointed out, they don't use certificates there. They just put your name on a list for the restaurant people to check.

I did run into a problem one morning of the award stay when the restaurant staff said that my name was not on the list. They called the front desk and then told me that I wasn't supposed to get free breakfast on an "Honors certificate" stay but that they would make an exception that one time. After I ate I stopped by the front desk to find out what was going on. They told me that I should receive breakfast and that I had been given incorrect info in the restaurant. The lady was apologetic about the error and assured me that everything was all set for the rest of my stay.

Bottom line was that I got all of my breakfasts, but did have that one little glitch. If you're going to stay there, just confirm when you check in that you will receive breakfast.

Edited to add that I'm talking about the DT in Times Square. I understand that there is another DT in NYC now too, although I'm not certain whether it has opened yet.

Last edited by Westcoaster; Nov 1, 2004 at 1:36 pm Reason: to clarify which DT I'm talking about
Old Nov 1, 2004, 9:00 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Edited to add that I'm talking about the DT in Times Square. I understand that there is another DT in NYC now too, although I'm not certain whether it has opened yet.
Scheduled for the first of the year, Lex and 51st.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Just a point of clarification: As you may have gathered from some of the other posts here, there are NO breakfast certificates at this hotel.

They just put your name on a list and at breakfast, the host/hostess looks you up on the list.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 12:07 pm

No Problem

10-22-04 Visit
You should have no problem. If they don't tell you about the free breakfast at the time of your check-in, just ask. As a previous said your name is added to a list in the restaurant and your meal is billed and credited. After you are done with you breakfast you will receive a check, but it is for zero dollars. I just added a tip to mine, which was billed to my room. Please remember that even if these meals are free, we should still tip the staff in these restaurants.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 1:04 pm
In Memoriam

I would double check either at the front desk or before I sat down and had a meal. I wouldn't want a surprize of a $20 breakfast or whatever it is if I was thinking it was free and then have to argue it away.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 5:40 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks for all the replies! Well, I have returned from NYC. Beautiful there. Central Park was gorgeous. It was so breezy. I forgot about those beautiful fall days up North.

Anyway, when I checked in, we were given a nice corner room. Front facing seventh avenue and the side facing downtown. I didn't have to ask, they told me right away that we had a complimentary breakfast for each morning of our stay. It was very nice actually. Made to order french toast, pancakes, omlettes, or eggs prepared any way you ask for them. Great happy hour at the bar also. Half price domestic (bottle) beer, well drinks or wine from 6:00-8:00. Overall, I thought the room was kinda small for a double tree but about the same size as the "suite" we were given at the New York Millenium. I'd stay there again. Good location.

Oh, and just to inform anyone that stays st the Doubletree or the Hilton Times Square on 42nd street... Across the street there is a "Sketchers" shoe store. In the back of the store there is a water bar! They have all kinds of bottled water including that new Vitamin water, and sparkling water for $1.00 a bottle!! I paid $4.25 for a bottle of water in the mini bar one evening. The next morning we went to the sketcher store and bought a couple of waters to put in the little fridge in our room. I can't believe water costs so much in a mini bar!
Old Dec 19, 2004, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR Plat Premier, Nat'l Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs up Times Square DT...Awesome Trip Report!

Just got back from the DT Times Square. It cost me 120K for three nites, but I found a new home in NYC. We had room XX01 (a corner king) & the view was fantastic!! Right in the heart of all the action.

Last night we came off of the C train at 50th St & there was a female whining about the chilly weather. The voice sounded familiar...sort of. When Mrs Hazmike & I turned around we both were surprised to see the actress (no idea of her name) but it's the lady that plays the sister (Janice) of Tony Soprano on the Sopranos! Very nice, really went with the flow, got pics with her.

Mrs Hazmike got an NYC Cop to put her in the front row of an Avril Levigne concert (filmed Thurs nite) on the street where the Today show does their concerts. It'll be played on New Year's Eve.

Great full breakfast, elevators were super fast.

Happy Holidays,

Mike
Old Dec 19, 2004, 8:29 pm
In Memoriam

Do I want to ask why it cost $120k for three nights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.