Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton New York City - Times Square {US-NY} (no longer Honors)

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton New York City - Times Square {US-NY} (no longer Honors)

Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Is the renovated hotel going to remain in the Hilton Family?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:32 pm

Our reservation for Dev 31 was canceled today! Super short notice and we're scrambling to rebook now. Terrible experience. Received 10-20k points as a mediocre consolation for the inconvenience.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by narsil
Our reservation for Dec 31 was canceled today! Super short notice and we're scrambling to rebook now. Terrible experience. Received 10-20k points as a mediocre consolation for the inconvenience.
What explanation were you given for WHY the cancellation?

Was the reservation in dollars or points? If it was points, and you did not show, they would charge you 95K pts. Since they are not providing you a room, they should credit you at least 95K points! If it was a dollars reservation, I think I'd still demand 95K points for the inconvenience.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:12 pm

What explanation were you given for WHY the cancellation?
The hotel is being closed apparently, and all reservations after Dec 22 are being canceled. It might be for renovations, but the rep wasn't certain. The rep mentioned they are receiving a lot of calls about it today. A cancellation on any other night would have been easier to rebook, but a room on Dec 31 near Times Square is hard to find. Ended up booking a night at the HGI a block south.

Was the reservation in dollars or points? If it was points, and you did not show, they would charge you 95K pts. Since they are not providing you a room, they should credit you at least 95K points! If it was a dollars reservation, I think I'd still demand 95K points for the inconvenience.
It was a points reservation for 95k, which was refunded back to my account. They offered 10k for the inconvenience and I requested 20k, which the rep provided, although I probably should have requested more.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
The hotel is being closed apparently, and all reservations after Dec 22 are being canceled.
The reason for closure is definitely renovations ... and major ones at that (as described up-thread). But as of Nov 19, the word from HonorsRep was that it was not supposed to close until some time in January. Hard to image staying open another 10 days or so after Dec 22 would jeopardize the renovations ... and it would mean a lot of lost revenue from being vacant on NY Eve ... plus severely ticking off the hundreds whose reservations got cancelled.

A couple of months ago, I noticed that award rooms where still available (at least for Diamonds), and I almost made a reservation. Now, I'm glad I did not!!! The HH points would have been refunded, but a hotel closure would never get me an airline refund.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:19 am

plus severely ticking off the hundreds whose reservations got cancelled.
Exactly. I am a Hilton Diamond and my award room was still canceled. I messaged @HonorsRepresentative to see if they had any other info. This leaves everyone scrambling for alternatives and makes it hard to trust the Hilton brand.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:04 am

Exactly. I am a Hilton Diamond and my award room was still canceled. I messaged @HonorsRepresentative to see if they had any other info. This leaves everyone scrambling for alternatives and makes it hard to trust the Hilton brand.
I'm not sure about legally, but morally, the Hilton brand should force the property owners to provide you with comparable accommodations for the same night(s).

I would categorize the hotel's action as effectively the same as being "walked" (moved to another hotel when the original hotel could not accommodate you for a guaranteed reservation ... for whatever reason). Hotels make customers pay when we are "no shows" for a "guaranteed" reservation; the hotel should pay the customer if they are "no shows" in terms of providing the service they "contracted" to provide. IMHO.
indufan, mangoMan, B3nder and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I think it is horrible what they did. For months they have been jerking people around with "we're closing this date, no we're closing THIS date, no we're closing this date"...but to dump people out between Christmas and especially New Year's, when accommodations are already difficult to get, is beyond reprehensible. I'm sure they will say it was dictated by the Palace Theater, but I truly find it hard to believe that will start construction that week, between Christmas and New Year's, when Times Square is teeming and the weather is crap. What a black eye for Hilton.
narsil likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:39 pm

My award reservation of Dec 31 has been canceled. But the cash reservation of Dec 30 is still there so far.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:11 am

The hotel is now available again until mid Jan. Must have reverted the decision.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
The hotel is now available again until mid Jan. Must have reverted the decision.

That's awesome to hear! To do that to people's reservations around NYE is very foul.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by Cat88L3
To do that to people's reservations around NYE is very foul.
Agree - they were clearly 'ducking' out of their responsibilities

I'll get my coat......
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
I have a reservation for a couple nights in the first week of January. Cash reservation (got an awesome MVP rate) and it is still showing as OK. I hope those that had their reservations cancelled can get them reinstated.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:22 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi all,

Just confirming that the hotel will be accepting reservations through January 2019. If you have any questions about an upcoming stay, please do not hesitate to PM me with your details, or our Guest Assistance teams are always happy to assist as well.

Thank you,
Lauren
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Had a nice 2 night stay here just after New Years. Booked the corner suite which had nice views out of the bedroom section, although they are to the north of Times Square. Started to mention the resort fee when checking in and the agent immediately offered to waive it, which was a pleasant surprise. We got a total of 4 breakfast vouchers but since we were a family of four we used all four for one breakfast and ate outside the hotel the second morning.

I also asked about the hotel's closing and the agent said it was being completely torn down. Not sure if it will end up as another hotel in the Hilton family, some other hotel, or something else like an office building.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.