Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton New York City - Times Square {US-NY} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton New York City - Times Square {US-NY} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by js1metsfan
How do you get the MVP rate at NYC hotels?
In the Corporate Rate box place one of the following codes: 0041604 for Hilton and HGI; 0560041604 all others

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-mvp-rate.html
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: Delta , Hilton (Diamond), Hertz (gold), AA (plat)
Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square-New York City

Thanks I added them to my search tools as I'm in NYC each week.
I wish the hilton website allowed you to search with multiple corporate codes at once like SPG does.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by js1metsfan
. . .
I wish the hilton website allowed you to search with multiple corporate codes at once like SPG does.
Yes, I've also wished that many times!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:02 am

Programs: QF SQ VA CX DL UA PR MH MU
Thanks so much everyone for your invaluable contributions - esp Controller1 - code worked a treat - owe you a beer or 3 mate.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Cruiser Elite
Thanks so much everyone for your invaluable contributions - esp Controller1 - code worked a treat - owe you a beer or 3 mate.
^
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by Cruiser Elite
Hey where's my beer, i suggested it
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:36 am

Programs: QF SQ VA CX DL UA PR MH MU
Originally Posted by snevillio
Hey where's my beer, i suggested it
Any time mate - I am in NY Sep 15 to 23 - you about?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA MM; UA-S; HH-D; Marriott-LTP
Stayed at the DT Suites Times Square this week. Boy the area has changed since I was last there...much more of a Vegas feel with all the gigantic bright lights and people on the streets slapping/offering cards/booklets/coupons/etc.

From Penn Station/Madison Square Garden, the DT TS is about a 13 block walk straight up 7th, on the right corner of 47th St. Not terribly well marked, meaning, more subdued signage in comparison to things around it. It's across from the W and maybe a block before the Renaissance on the opposite side of the street.

Walked into an unassuming lobby with concierge desk, up the elevator to the 3rd floor hotel lobby. The rooms are up a different set of elevators. We had a corner room on the 15th floor that came with two complementary bottles of water. Plenty of windows offered quite a bright view of 7th Ave activity, activity which could be heard if we opened the window but was quiet when the window was closed. Room darkening drapes certainly functioned as they were meant to. Two room suite, living room with desk, sofa bed, coffee table and LG tv. The bathroom was in the bedroom, bedroom had queen bed and tv. Clean and current room.

Restaurant was on 5, and we did grab a tasty app there to take the starve off of our travels. Two non alcoholic drinks and two apps under $30, not terribly absurd. Small restaurant (where comped breakfast would be), small lobby bar. The bar was already closed when we got back around midnight.

Of course the hotel is in a very touristy area of NYC but we would stay there again if need be. Comfortable, clean, food was decent in a pinch, and the staff was fine.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Stayed at the Doubletree Suites for three nights last week, and wanted to provide my impressions. I picked the hotel based on flyertalk comments from various threads, recommending it as a good place to stay with the family. I was a bit disappointed with the stay overall, and wished I had chosen a different option, even at a higher cost in space and dollars.

The hotel was extremely crowded, and there were always very long lines at the reception desk-- it took me about 20 minutes to check in when I first arrived, and I saw lines at all hours of the day and night. Most of the time they had no more than 2 people working the desk, and there was no elite check-in. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived (around 3pm) so we wanted to store our bags, only to encounter a similar problem with the bellhop desk, which had a very long line and one person working. Later, when we were checking out and wanted to store our bags, the bellhop had completely disappeared and I had to contact a manager and then wait about 15 minutes for him to show...

The room was exactly as I expected-- a very large 2 room suite, in good condition. I think many of the positive recommendations on flyertalk are based on the room size when travelling with a family, and I can't disagree. If you want/need the space, this is as good as you'll get in the city for a reasonable cost. We had a sideways view to the billboards of times square, which was nice.

My biggest disappointment was the breakfast (always a key part of the travel experience for my kids). I probably had my expectations set too high, but was hoping for something like the usual Doubletree/Hilton breakfasts I get when travelling elsewhere, given the list price of $30 for adults and $15 for kids. The actual breakfast was similar to the standard Hampton Inn offerings (plus made to order eggs, waffles, and pancakes), but with the bread products of much lower quality than HI. My pastry loving children took one bite of the "croissants" and refused to eat any more. They also found the waffles and pancakes inedible. The coffee was also quite awful. As such, I found that I had to take the family to a coffee shop or bakery each morning after the hotel breakfast, since they didn't find much they actually were willing to eat. Again, had this been a Hampton Inn, I would have considered it slightly under par, but it was a long way from the breakfasts I've had at Garden Inns and Doubletrees elsewhere in the US.

The location was pretty good as a tourist, as you're in the middle of the Times Square madness, and an easy walk to many of the usual sights. I found the Doubletree concierges to be mixed-- one gave us reasonable directions to where we were going, and another provided us with completely inaccurate information regarding some attraction timings.
A warning if you're planning to use hotel parking-- the garage is across the street, about half a block before you reach the hotel. Most of the time we were there, the local streets were jammed solid; had we gone to the hotel to unload our bags and then tried to park our car, it would have taken an extra 20-30 minutes to drive around the block again. Fortunately we called while stuck in traffic and they told us we could garage the car before checking in. Parking is handled by paying at the hotel desk before going to retrieve your car; if you check out earlier than you want the car (as we did), you need to go back and wait in line yet again to get to the desk in order to pay. I spent a lot of time in that line...
To summarize, if you value the space, this hotel is likely a good value. Not caring as much about the space, I found the service and breakfast to be quite lacking and will choose elsewhere the next time I find myself in NYC.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by whimsey21
Stayed at the Doubletree Suites for three nights last week, and wanted to provide my impressions. I picked the hotel based on flyertalk comments from various threads, recommending it as a good place to stay with the family. I was a bit disappointed with the stay overall, and wished I had chosen a different option, even at a higher cost in space and dollars.

The hotel was extremely crowded, and there were always very long lines at the reception desk-- it took me about 20 minutes to check in when I first arrived, and I saw lines at all hours of the day and night. Most of the time they had no more than 2 people working the desk, and there was no elite check-in. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived (around 3pm) so we wanted to store our bags, only to encounter a similar problem with the bellhop desk, which had a very long line and one person working. Later, when we were checking out and wanted to store our bags, the bellhop had completely disappeared and I had to contact a manager and then wait about 15 minutes for him to show...

The room was exactly as I expected-- a very large 2 room suite, in good condition. I think many of the positive recommendations on flyertalk are based on the room size when travelling with a family, and I can't disagree. If you want/need the space, this is as good as you'll get in the city for a reasonable cost. We had a sideways view to the billboards of times square, which was nice.

My biggest disappointment was the breakfast (always a key part of the travel experience for my kids). I probably had my expectations set too high, but was hoping for something like the usual Doubletree/Hilton breakfasts I get when travelling elsewhere, given the list price of $30 for adults and $15 for kids. The actual breakfast was similar to the standard Hampton Inn offerings (plus made to order eggs, waffles, and pancakes), but with the bread products of much lower quality than HI. My pastry loving children took one bite of the "croissants" and refused to eat any more. They also found the waffles and pancakes inedible. The coffee was also quite awful. As such, I found that I had to take the family to a coffee shop or bakery each morning after the hotel breakfast, since they didn't find much they actually were willing to eat. Again, had this been a Hampton Inn, I would have considered it slightly under par, but it was a long way from the breakfasts I've had at Garden Inns and Doubletrees elsewhere in the US.

The location was pretty good as a tourist, as you're in the middle of the Times Square madness, and an easy walk to many of the usual sights. I found the Doubletree concierges to be mixed-- one gave us reasonable directions to where we were going, and another provided us with completely inaccurate information regarding some attraction timings.
A warning if you're planning to use hotel parking-- the garage is across the street, about half a block before you reach the hotel. Most of the time we were there, the local streets were jammed solid; had we gone to the hotel to unload our bags and then tried to park our car, it would have taken an extra 20-30 minutes to drive around the block again. Fortunately we called while stuck in traffic and they told us we could garage the car before checking in. Parking is handled by paying at the hotel desk before going to retrieve your car; if you check out earlier than you want the car (as we did), you need to go back and wait in line yet again to get to the desk in order to pay. I spent a lot of time in that line...
To summarize, if you value the space, this hotel is likely a good value. Not caring as much about the space, I found the service and breakfast to be quite lacking and will choose elsewhere the next time I find myself in NYC.
We used to stay here every Christmas, at about the same time that you did (we stopped when they raised the points to a ridiculous amount around the holidays). Uhmmm, it's Christmas in NYC. Every hotel is jammed. Every check-in desk is swamped. Every concierge is overwhelmed. So I don't think these comments are fair.

We always found the breakfast to be very nice. You didn't mention the smoked salmon which they typically have (don't see that at a lot of hotels). And they can make you pancakes or waffles from scratch if you find the pre-made ones to not be to your liking.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by elitefreak
We used to stay here every Christmas, at about the same time that you did (we stopped when they raised the points to a ridiculous amount around the holidays). Uhmmm, it's Christmas in NYC. Every hotel is jammed. Every check-in desk is swamped. Every concierge is overwhelmed. So I don't think these comments are fair.

We always found the breakfast to be very nice. You didn't mention the smoked salmon which they typically have (don't see that at a lot of hotels). And they can make you pancakes or waffles from scratch if you find the pre-made ones to not be to your liking.
I use to stay there every New Years for a four day stay until they raised the rates to an absurd level.

I agree with your comments. Every hotel in NYC (and most major cities) are very busy this time of year.

I thought the breakfast at the DT is the best I have had at any NYC Hilton. Every time I have had waffles or French toast they cooked them while I waited. Only complaint I had with the breakfast was the wait, last time I stayed there on New Years eve, but the hotel was packed and it was the year they started handing out gold access like Candy with the reserve card and I couldn't blame the hotel for that.

My only complaint with the property is they are stingy with giving diamonds a late checkout but again it is new years day when they are full
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by elitefreak

I agree that I might have been overly critical regarding the crowding-- I would like to think they could have staffed the desk and luggage room with a few more people knowing how crowded they would be, but I'm willing to accept that it gets buy in NYC and Christmas.
The breakfast, though, must have changed since you and the last poster were there. I didn't mention the smoked salmon because there wasn't any-- that certainly would have been something that I'd have appreciated.

Last edited by whimsey21; Dec 31, 2014 at 9:07 am Reason: Edited to fix the quotation formatting
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I agree that I might have been overly critical regarding the crowding-- I would like to think they could have staffed the desk and luggage room with a few more people knowing how crowded they would be, but I'm willing to accept that it gets buy in NYC and Christmas.
The breakfast, though, must have changed since you and the last poster were there. I didn't mention the smoked salmon because there wasn't any-- that certainly would have been something that I'd have appreciated.
It's been a couple years since I've been there and I hope the breakfast hasn't declined. The breakfast was the best of any NYC hilton property and one of the best of any U.S. property

I do agree about the long lines. They need a dedicated diamond check in and check out line but o have that complaint about a lot of Hiltons
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
From your detailed description the prior post it does sounds like there has been a material downgrade at breakfast since when I was last about this time two years ago. That is a shame because they can obviously get by because of their location and because of the room size/layout. Maybe they were getting too many families and a higher kid concentration at breakfast led them to believe they could coast there.

Midtown is a zoo in December and it doesn't take much for Midtown hotel lobbies to back up and look almost like a refuge situation with 100% occupancy and people wanting to check in within the same narrow time window (that is why it was a very easy decision to stay at the Conrad for December stay)
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Until a day or two ago this place was available for tonight (NYE) for 90k points (or some absurd amount like $3,500.) I was surprised at the standard rate award availability. I thought about getting a room for a friend who is visiting from Europe and is determine to see the ball drop but it didn't seem a room at this place did anything for you other than give you a place to go after the festivities are over, so I passed on it. (BTW I am a life long New Yorker who has never seen the ball drop myself )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.