Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Scandic Added To — Then Out of — Hilton Honors: The Definitive Thread

Old Apr 23, 2001, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, SK Diamond, Finnair Gold, BA Silver

Read in a Norwegian newspaper today: Hilton has made an offer to buy the Scandic hotel chain for approximately $1 billion.

This would give Hilton several (20+) properties in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark, as well as elsewhere in Europe. The only Hilton property in Scandinavia is currently in Copenhagen. More "exotic" places to spend your points...
Old Apr 23, 2001, 3:06 am
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
If this goes through I would certainly be happy!

------------------
Goldlust
Old Apr 23, 2001, 9:58 am

Great news! We even have a Scandic Hotel in my little hometown.

If you would like more info about scandic visit www.scandic.se the page is also avaible in english.

[This message has been edited by kempis (edited 04-23-2001).]
Old Apr 23, 2001, 10:07 am

Programs: Lots of different coloured cards
Great news!! Hope the deal come through!!
If it does, will all the Scandics change their name to Hiltons then? Great..welcome to helsinki, the city of 7 Hiltons...lol...or is it 6....

cheers jetboy
Old Apr 23, 2001, 2:42 pm
Original Member

According to Swedish business paper Dagens Industri, Hilton plans to rebrand only 20 Scandic properties to Hilton in Sweden, while all properties outside the Nordic countries will turn into Hiltons. Nothing said about Finland though..
Old Apr 23, 2001, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2001/04/23/europe/hotels/index.htm

Hilton bids for Scandic

UK hotelier offers $881bn for Scandic; Raffles to buy Swissotels for $307mn

April 23, 2001: 7:01 a.m. ET

LONDON (CNN) - Hilton, the UK hotelier, made an agreed bid for Scandic Hotels on Monday as Swissotel agreed to be bought by Singapore-based peer Raffles.

The British company, the operator of Hilton hotels outside the U.S., said it was offering 108 Swedish crowns ($10.70) and 1.1238 new Hilton shares for each Scandic share, valuing the firm at 612 million ($881 million).

The offer values each Scandic share at 144 crowns, a 30.9 percent premium to Friday's close. Scandic's board of directors recommended shareholders accept the offer.
Can anyone shed any light on the relationship between Hilton UK and Hilton US? I understand that during the corporate raider 80's, Hilton UK was somehow spun off from the Hilton firm. That is why for a while, Hilton US could only operate internationally under the Conrad name.

Are Hilton US and Hilton UK now somehow related under common ownership again or do they just have joint marketing/HHonors programs etc.?

Thanks

Old Apr 24, 2001, 1:12 am

Hilton proposed to buy Scandic Hotels in Europe

A press released was issued yesterday in the Nordic Countries that Hilton International Hotels wants to buy Scandic Hotels.
The Scandic Hotels is a very nice chain with pure scandinavian interior. It is 3-4 stars proporties and usually have very good offers.

The deal will include all of Scandic Hotels 174 hotels located around in Europe - (133 of these is in the Nordic Countries). It is suggested that some of the Scandic Hotels will be renamed to Hilton while others will remain Scandic hotels.

This is a great opportunity for persons in Northern Europe (especially within the Nordic Countries). Hilton is just represented with one Hilton in the Nordic countries, located in Copenhagen Airport. This hotel just opened a couple of months ago.
Old Apr 24, 2001, 1:18 am

Se also http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/001662.html
Old Apr 24, 2001, 1:40 am

Ooops... I did not see that Topic.. Sorry
Old Apr 24, 2001, 1:43 am

Ooops... I did not see that Topic.. Sorry
Old Apr 24, 2001, 3:34 am

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life
From the Tuesday London Times:

[Of the 133 Nordic hotels, 20 will be quickly converted to the Hilton brand with a further 11 to follow over time. All but four of the other 21 hotels will become Hiltons, including Scandic's Hilioday Inn franchise in London's Docklands.

The rest will stay as Scandics but over the longer term Mr. Michels is planning to "tack on" a mid-market flag from the stable of b rands owned by Hilton Hotel Corportation, its US marketing partner. These include Doubletree, Embassy Suites and Homewood Suites. "We are not selling a single property," he said.]

------------------
Have passport, will travel...
LAX, LHR, CDG, et.al.
Old Apr 24, 2001, 7:15 am
DOC 2 BE

FYI. URL to the Scandic site, so you can identify where they have hotels.

I wish they had bought them last year, when I went to Sweden to pick up my car and then traveled thru Norway!

http://www.scandic-hotels.com/br/index2.html

Old Apr 24, 2001, 1:02 pm

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
I'll be awaiting the 20 hotels that will be instantly renamed. Amongst the hotels in Norway, IMHO, none will qualify unless they are substantially upgraded. This goes for both room standard and level of service. Some Swedish properties however, should should be able to do it fairly easily.
Old Apr 24, 2001, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Onedog: My memory is getting a bit hazy, but I think the chronology is something like this.

Hilton US sold the international hotels to Howard Hughes/TWA. These hotels were eventually bought by Ladbroke, a UK gaming company.

Ladbroke operated its own hotels in the UK. These became Hilton National hotels (a ragbag of mixed standards) while the more upmarket hotels in the UK cities became Hilton International hotels. Hilton US's international hotels were branded Conrads as they weren't allowed to use the Hilton name outside the US.

Hilton hotels in the US and outside the US had different logos and branding as well as different reservations systems.

Some 3 years ago (?), somebody knocked commonsense into the two groups' heads, and they ended up sharing branding and reservations systems. The international properties joined HHonors.

The non-US properties (including those in Canada) are still part of Ladbroke, though that company has been renamed Hilton Group plc. There is speculation that Hilton Group (the UK company, remember) will dispose of its gaming interest and concentrate on hospitality.

There is also longstanding speculation that Hilton Hotels Corp and Hilton Group will one day become one.

Hope this helps.

Old Apr 24, 2001, 2:58 pm

anyone know wht the Scandic propoerties in Copenhagen are like. Also, when will this close?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.