Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What Constitutes a Stay? What is a Qualifying Stay? The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Constitutes a Stay? What is a Qualifying Stay? The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Evan!
With most of my stays at Hilton properties I simply either leave the key in the room or drop it off at the desk or in a drop box near the desk when I depart. I think this is called "express check-out". Do you need the paper hotel bill? If not, just check-in, stay your 5 hours, and leave. But if you need the paper hotel bill you can check out anytime you want.

I have had IROPS leave me in a situation where I might get the next flight out, in 4-5 hours, or be stuck until the next day. So I have stayed in a Hilton room in the past just long enough to take a quick nap. The stays have always counted.

The hotel wants your money and "park and fly" is one of the features they use to attract guests. I don't think the hotel will care if you rent a room for parking purposes only.
i've often asked the hotel to email me the folio & they normally do it the same day....

Originally Posted by MachOne
It is also possible to log into HHonors and print your folio at a later date.

MO
folios are only available on your hh account for stays in the US....most international stays do not have the folio available online....

i have had a number of stays where i have checked in late at night & then checked out early in the morning for a flight, thereby only spending 5-6 hours at the hotel....have never had a problem with a stay posting....
Old Oct 18, 2009, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Evan!
With most of my stays at Hilton properties I simply either leave the key in the room or drop it off at the desk or in a drop box near the desk when I depart. I think this is called "express check-out". Do you need the paper hotel bill? If not, just check-in, stay your 5 hours, and leave. But if you need the paper hotel bill you can check out anytime you want.
Or he can pay at the check-in, go to the room, have a drink or a shower, leave the key in the room and go out of the hotel

That's what I often do and I always get the night credits
Old Oct 18, 2009, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
As long as you check-in and they have your CC info, you don't even have to go to your room or check-out to get credit for the stay
Old Oct 18, 2009, 6:34 pm

I don't know that I have "checked out" of a hotel in a while. But that just might be the hotels I use. I check-in with my Amex. The day I am leaving the bill is under the door and I am good to go - I don't usually stop by the front desk. They knew I was leaving, I knew I was leaving, no need for extra conversation about it unless I need to question something on the bill.

This is all domestic and I have yet to have a problem. I have asked at the Embassy Suites I use and they told me it was not a problem.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
with most stays outside the US, you have to check out....some of them will slide the folio under the door but some won't....nevertheless you have to check out....i stay a lot at hilton poperties in places like dubai, bangkok, singapore & they always require a check out....
Old Oct 19, 2009, 2:14 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, HHonors Diamond (earned), Aer Lingus Gold Circle, ex-UA,ex-NZ
Originally Posted by saad
with most stays outside the US, you have to check out....some of them will slide the folio under the door but some won't....nevertheless you have to check out....i stay a lot at hilton poperties in places like dubai, bangkok, singapore & they always require a check out....
In London, almost every time I've had the folio under the door. Check it, sign it, drop it in a box near the front desk. That's it. No talking unless there's a dispute. (No, I never touch your £3.95 water, no I didn't take a drink out of the minibar at 3 on Thursday afternoon: I was working in the city at the time.) But if it runs smoothly, I don't check out in person. The paper copy of the settled account gets sent to my home by mail the same day. Points post within 72 hours, just like it says.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, SPG Gold
What is a "stay?"

This may be a stupid question, but I'm new to HHonors (and performed a search). What counts as a "stay" for purposes of earning status? If I need 6 stays in 90 days for a Gold status offer, but I'm staying a week at a time at 3 Hiltons over the next 90 days, can't I just stay one night at one hotel, then go across town and stay another night, and go across town again and stay the next night at the first hotel, etc. etc.

I'm sure Hilton is smarter than this in how they structured their status earning, so can you guys tell me what counts as a 'stay' in their eyes?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:47 pm

each time you switch hotels it will be a stay.
If you check out and back into the same hotel 2 nights in a row it will be only 1 stay (unless they screw up)
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:50 pm

From T&C:

A "stay" is defined as the total number of consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, whether or not a guest checks out and checks back in again.

Staying at Hotel A for one night, next night at Hotel B and coming back to Hotel A on the third night creates three stays.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by pknegten
This may be a stupid question, but I'm new to HHonors (and performed a search).
That's funny -- I performed a search just now and found other threads with "stay" in the title, such as "Definition of a stay." So perhaps you need some tips on effective searching? My recommendation is usually to use "Search this forum" (NOT just "Search"), Advanced, Titles-only, and pick meaningful keywords while eliminating too-common words.

Also there is a "PLEASE READ FIRST" FAQ sticky thread at the top of this forum that contains a link to a lengthy thread on this question ("stays" vs. "nights" etc.). And finally, if you go to www.hiltonhhonors.com, there is a link to HHonors Terms & Conditions at the bottom of the page. So it is easy to find answers to these kinds of frequently-asked questions.

What counts as a "stay" for purposes of earning status? If I need 6 stays in 90 days for a Gold status offer, but I'm staying a week at a time at 3 Hiltons over the next 90 days, can't I just stay one night at one hotel, then go across town and stay another night, and go across town again and stay the next night at the first hotel, etc. etc.
Of course you can, and if you're willing to endure the slight inconvenience of changing hotels in this manner, you will get your stay credits, thus advancing to Gold sooner than you would otherwise.

I'm sure Hilton is smarter than this in how they structured their status earning, so can you guys tell me what counts as a 'stay' in their eyes?
Why are you "sure Hilton is smarter than this...?" Do you honestly think they're going to come up with some bizarre, opaque, complex algorithm for determining stays? Every hotel program I am familiar with has the same basic definition of a stay. One major difference is that in the HHonors program (unlike most others), even award stays count as stays for purposes of earning status (and even for completing stay-based promos).
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pknegten
This may be a stupid question, but I'm new to HHonors (and performed a search). What counts as a "stay" for purposes of earning status? If I need 6 stays in 90 days for a Gold status offer, but I'm staying a week at a time at 3 Hiltons over the next 90 days, can't I just stay one night at one hotel, then go across town and stay another night, and go across town again and stay the next night at the first hotel, etc. etc.

6 stays in 90 days = Gold Status? How?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Why are you "sure Hilton is smarter than this...?" Do you honestly think they're going to come up with some bizarre, opaque, complex algorithm for determining stays?
Ahem...ah, it would seem that's exactly how some (or most?) would describe the dearly departed rolling-tier system.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by danishtraveller
If you google search Hilton MVP Program you will find a link to Fast Track to gold. 4 stays in 90 days

https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/landingpages/mvp.aspx

"Being a valued member of the Hilton Family MVP program pays off. Just complete four qualifying stays or nine qualifying nights within the 90-day period of your choice and reach Gold VIP status faster than ever!"
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:06 am

Programs: United 1K Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jrpaguia
Ahem...ah, it would seem that's exactly how some (or most?) would describe the dearly departed rolling-tier system.
I actually preferred the old rolling-tier system... I travel a lot but it's in "bursts" every couple months and rarely lines up with the calendar year. I'm always way too busy at the end of the CY to take vacations or marginally necessary business trips for mattress runs due to Christmas, whereas in mid-June being told I need 3 more stays in a month to maintain a status I could easily accomplish that.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by danishtraveller
Ever heard of "TARGETED OFFER" ?

And if you do a search, you would find plenty of threads on this topic.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jan 8, 2010 at 4:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.