Hilton Vienna Park {AUT}

Old Mar 31, 20, 12:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by rcmiller View Post
I noticed on the Hilton website that it said renovations should be complete by June 2020. Is that the original projection (pre-covid 19) or is that a realistic date?
That was the original projection and I don't expect them to meet it. For anyone who needs more than a room I would advise against staying here until they complete renovations.
Old Apr 1, 20, 11:43 am

Programs: Primarily Hilton & Delta
Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
That was the original projection and I don't expect them to meet it. For anyone who needs more than a room I would advise against staying here until they complete renovations.
Thanks for the info. I will look into the Vienna Plaza.
Old Jul 16, 21, 9:37 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold. Hold AA, UA, BA, LH, SQ, VX, AF, AMEX, Citi, Chase balances
Anyone know if renos have been completed and any recent stays? Thanks
Old Jul 16, 21, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
Anyone know if renos have been completed and any recent stays? Thanks
A simple web search yields a number of sources confirming the completion of the renovation, and showcasing the process that went into the design and execution of the renovation. Here is a recap from the general contractor.

As an aside, @Moderators - can we get a thread retitle here? There are three Hilton-branded properties in Vienna: 1) Hilton Vienna Park, 2) Hilton Vienna Plaza, 3) Hilton Vienna Danube Waterfront. There is no hotel called "Hilton Vienna". Adjusting this would likely decrease the confusion that some readers who are less familiar with the area might have going forward.
Old Jul 16, 21, 10:59 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The pictures you see via Hilton app or on the property website are all reflecting the refurbished rooms of the Hilton Vienna Park in case one is unfamiliar with what they used to look like. The entire 15th floor is new and was added on top. All works in the hotel are done as the other poster had shared already.
Old Aug 28, 21, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, NW Plat, UA 2P
Hilton Vienna Park

Just returned from a 7-day stay here. The rooms have all been refreshed and remodeled, done attractively. Breakfast is still served in the ground floor dining room, which has been re-done into more "private" sections, not to my liking. The veranda off the dining room has been raised onto a platform, and oversize potted plants placed everywhere. A very poor job in my view, now seems "busy" with the plants and claustrophobic. The dining room buffet area has been chopped into areas, and again there is a feeling of being closed in, with people crowded into small areas. There was a staff shortage at breakfast, which is understandable, given that they are just coming back on-stream. An area within the bar section has been sectioned off to serve as the Executive Lounge from 5PM-7PM. Drinks are self-service, and there is a plate of appetizers given to each customer.

The staff are very welcoming at check-in, but they were working under some strain while I was there, because they were clearly short-staffed, and there seemed to be an abundance of guests. They asked to see vaccination certificates upon check-in, and also upon entry into the dining room. Masks were required in all public areas, and the elevators (new & very efficient) were sectioned so that social distancing was made easy.
Old Aug 28, 21, 9:54 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold. Hold AA, UA, BA, LH, SQ, VX, AF, AMEX, Citi, Chase balances
This hotel is..... meh.

Currently, 2/3 of the rooms are open, but management won't open the EL until they're hitting 50%+ capacity of those subset of rooms.

Booked an Exec Room and was upgraded morning of arrival (My guess is the overnight person processes upgrades and they won't do them before) to a "panorama one bedroom suite." It's not a suite. It's a decent-sized room with an extra half bath. There's an indent to the wall of about 3 feet, so I guess they consider that a separation. There's one TV, so if you're trying to watch in bed, it's rather far off.

Requested a morning check in and they were selling this suite type, a park view panorama suite and a loft suite the previous night as well as the day of check in. I was told my room was blocked but not ready. I asked if I was going to wait anyway, could I have a loft suite. I was told yes, the guest would have to check out by noon and had no status. I said, that's fine. Will you text or call me when the room is ready. I was told no, the digital key will be in the app (I've found this rarely happens when they re-allocate your room day of arrival).

So I left and returned around 2 pm and was told the person in the loft suite never checked out and they had no idea when or IF it could be ready. And of course, no one ever put a digital key in my app, or called or texted to tell me this and let me know my original room was ready to give me the option of returning earlier. Sleep deprived off a TATL flight, I took the original room.

I had a pre-arrival request by e-mail and also followed up on at check in. Please leave extra towels in my room. Apparently "extra" in English translates to "subtract" in German. There was ONE bath towel in my room. So I asked the front desk to please leave towels for me in any type of closed contained of their choosing and leave it outside my door or place it just inside the door as I didn't want housekeeping in there which is my choice due to COVID. This is now the third time I've made this request. Sure enough, housekeeping goes in to the bathroom and has obviously touched every surface, which then caused me to clean the room to my satisfaction a second time, You can have whatever opinion of my new-era cleaning regimen you like, but had the hotel followed a simple instruction the first three times, I wouldn't have had to double the elbow grease. There were long hairs from previous guests on the bathroom floor.

Diamond members get two bottles of water per stay, which they forgot to give me at check in.

Diamond members get 1 dated voucher per day for a beer, wine, soda or tea in the bar. The front desk shorted me a voucher at check in (although they did offer to make it up to me even though I didn't ask for it). The bar is sticklers about the vouchers. A glass of wine can be 9 Euros and a cocktail can be 8.50 Euro, but they won't interchange them. I basically begged the bartender to trade 2 vouchers for one mixed drink and he agreed to do it for ONE drink only, so everything else was on my dime and I threw out several vouchers.

The canapes in the roped-off section of the bar for the makeshift EL are completely inedible. It's 3 different items on a plate. If you don't want that, you're SOL. Not even a bowl of nuts. You can pour your own beverage, but I think there were three spirits, soda and a type of beer. I don't recall seeing wine or sparking, but it might have been there. Even a nice charcuterie and cheese spread would have been welcome.

Breakfast items were of low-to-medium quality. Fruit presentations swimming in water with no slotted spoon. Shown to tables that hadn't been cleaned. There is an egg chef, but you have to stand in line like an Embassy Suites. Poor fellow is overworked. They don't take your orders at the table. No pancakes, breakfast potatoes or local specialties.

Most of the staff is courteous and top-quality, but management is clearly cheap and cutting corners on a "new" hotel, some of which may be legit due to COVID, but certainly not all.

I filled out the survey with mixed scores and no comments and got a cut and paste e-mail reply. Clearly they weren't interested in an actual follow up or dialogue on how to improves the service standard.
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by saaveraward; Aug 28, 21 at 10:00 pm
Old Aug 28, 21, 10:12 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Hmm, that doesn't sound too promising. I do like a good breakfast when on vacation and in Vienna I have some expectations. I know it is a Hilton, but in the old days many years ago well before the renovation breakfast was quite decent. Not PH Vienna, but solid even with fresh OJ.

I have bookings for late this year and next, but am pondering between this (renovated rooms) and the IC (old rooms, low corp rate and they have a pretty good breakfast). Well, worst case one can have breakfast at Cafe Oberlaa just across the street). To be seen. Will wait for some more reports.
Old Aug 29, 21, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by demue View Post
Hmm, that doesn't sound too promising. I do like a good breakfast when on vacation and in Vienna I have some expectations. I know it is a Hilton, but in the old days many years ago well before the renovation breakfast was quite decent. Not PH Vienna, but solid even with fresh OJ.

I have bookings for late this year and next, but am pondering between this (renovated rooms) and the IC (old rooms, low corp rate and they have a pretty good breakfast). Well, worst case one can have breakfast at Cafe Oberlaa just across the street). To be seen. Will wait for some more reports.
I stayed at IC in 2018. It was ancient then and apparently they haven't put any money in to it since (according to FT reviews). The tear-down has been pushed back years.

Despite my review above, I would choose the Hilton, just lower expectations for a premium experience. The hard product is decent and depending on where you want to go in Vienna, convenient.
Old Aug 29, 21, 7:53 am

I live in Vienna and my company used this Hilton for a conference (pre-COVID) - luckily for them, they have the biggest conference space in the city and we could get a good price, so it was an acceptable risk, but service was not at an acceptable level and guests staying in were not really happy (and many chose to stay in other hotels despite having to pay more).

If you are looking to stay in a Hilton property, I would strongly recommend the Plaza one (on Schottenring) - much smaller, more personal and great feedback from everyone whom I recommended to stay there. (Even the Danube Waterfront property is a better option than the Stadtpark one.)

I would strongly advise against staying in IC - it is atrocious ... fooled by the brand, I booked a room for my family who was visiting and they said never again. If you are looking for a 19th century experience, there are better choices in Vienna and these are definitely worth the premium. I was actually under the impression that IC should have been demolished by now but it seems COVID delayed the plans for rebuilding this area of the city.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Aug 29, 21, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
As an aside, @Moderators - can we get a thread retitle here? There are three Hilton-branded properties in Vienna: 1) Hilton Vienna Park, 2) Hilton Vienna Plaza, 3) Hilton Vienna Danube Waterfront. There is no hotel called "Hilton Vienna". Adjusting this would likely decrease the confusion that some readers who are less familiar with the area might have going forward.
I would like to second this recommendation.
jefftiger likes this.
Old Aug 29, 21, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by MichaelA380 View Post
I live in Vienna and my company used this Hilton for a conference (pre-COVID) - luckily for them, they have the biggest conference space in the city and we could get a good price, so it was an acceptable risk, but service was not at an acceptable level and guests staying in were not really happy (and many chose to stay in other hotels despite having to pay more).

If you are looking to stay in a Hilton property, I would strongly recommend the Plaza one (on Schottenring) - much smaller, more personal and great feedback from everyone whom I recommended to stay there. (Even the Danube Waterfront property is a better option than the Stadtpark one.)

I would strongly advise against staying in IC - it is atrocious ... fooled by the brand, I booked a room for my family who was visiting and they said never again. If you are looking for a 19th century experience, there are better choices in Vienna and these are definitely worth the premium. I was actually under the impression that IC should have been demolished by now but it seems COVID delayed the plans for rebuilding this area of the city.
I appreciate the pointers, I have stayed at the IC probably over 100 nights and yes it is tired and yes it was supposed to be torn down years ago. In this case, I know what I'm getting myself into and I have good contacts in the hotel. Our corp rate is under 100€ incl. breakfast and I'll get upgraded to a Jr Suite and cleanliness and breakfast are good.

I have also stayed at the Hilton Vienna many times, but that was before the refurb and right now they seem to struggle with staffing issues. I read not so good feedback about poor housekeeping and very mediocre breakfast which is a bit concerning. We do really like the location as it works very well for what we need to do, but am wagering whether we should rather go for another property.

I'll consider the Hilton Plaza again and maybe even Andaz or something like Altstadt Vienna (SLH). Thank you.
Old Aug 30, 21, 1:48 am

@demue, as you correctly point out, it is all down to personal preferences, personally I will not pay that price for IC as you can very often find publicly available rates sub-€80 (without even being RC member).

Not sure what your areas of interest in the city are, however Andaz, although fairly new, is close to nothing - it is on the back of the main railway station (+ a bit of a walk to reach) and if you choose it as a base for your stay you will need to commute to the centre daily (public transport options are though widely available). A far better (but far pricier) option is the Park Hyatt, great location and a lovely historical building (converted from a former bank).

Otherwise, if interested, just as a point of reference, while we still got clients coming regularly pre-COVID, Americans would normally stay in Le Meridien (the Marriott is probably as worse as IC), British would normally stay in Ritz Carlton (I heard most had corporate contracts and thus good rates) and Europeans would normally opt for Sofitel (cannot beat the rooftop bar view).
Old Aug 30, 21, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by MichaelA380 View Post
@demue, as you correctly point out, it is all down to personal preferences, personally I will not pay that price for IC as you can very often find publicly available rates sub-€80 (without even being RC member).

Not sure what your areas of interest in the city are, however Andaz, although fairly new, is close to nothing - it is on the back of the main railway station (+ a bit of a walk to reach) and if you choose it as a base for your stay you will need to commute to the centre daily (public transport options are though widely available). A far better (but far pricier) option is the Park Hyatt, great location and a lovely historical building (converted from a former bank).

Otherwise, if interested, just as a point of reference, while we still got clients coming regularly pre-COVID, Americans would normally stay in Le Meridien (the Marriott is probably as worse as IC), British would normally stay in Ritz Carlton (I heard most had corporate contracts and thus good rates) and Europeans would normally opt for Sofitel (cannot beat the rooftop bar view).
Thank you, I worked for a year in Vienna on a project many moons ago and our usual hotels were Hilton Plaza, Hilton Vienna (Stadtpark) and IC. Corporate contracts, what can I say.

Love the PH, but we need two rooms for 5 days and not keen to drop 5k € on hotel only. I know the Andaz location, just considering as we are likely coming by rail and Prive rates offer interesting option.

I'll check Hilton Plaza again, just I recall the rooms being quite odd shaped at times and a bit dark. May try out something totally different and go for Hotel Altstadt Vienna or Sans Souci in the Museumsquartier.
Old Feb 2, 22, 12:35 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, LC Sterling, HH Gld, ALL Gld, WoH Disc, Bonvoy, LH M&M FT
Greetings from Vienna Park, nicely renovated, cool club music and good burgers in the bar/restaurant, nice staff, best value for money in Vienna, central location 10 mins walking to Stephansdom. New TV sets. 5* classification, 24h room service with hot dishes. Lot of German English and local people, our American friends still missing, but soon again here I hope.

The Kim Chicken Burger, Korean style

View to the bar

View out of the restaurant window to „Kurkonditorei Oberlaa“

Burger menu

Corner junior suite

restaurant

entrance restaurant from lobby

Corner deluxe 8th floor

restaurant
Andriyko and bitterproffit like this.

Last edited by submonte; Feb 2, 22 at 12:57 pm

Search this Thread