Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels at San Francisco Airport SFO, California {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels at San Francisco Airport SFO, California {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2001, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Arrow DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels at San Francisco Airport SFO, California {US-CA}

Hi,

there are several Hilton Properties around
this area like Doubletree, Embassy Suite,
Hampton Inn and the Garden Inn. I was
wondering if someone could tell me which
would best suite someone who cares most
for the following.

1. Great Room Service Selection of healty
meals.
2. Good Gym.
3. Nice rooms with amenities for diamond
members.

Price is not a problem. Thanks.

Sunil

P.S. Please feel free to recommend Hyatt and
Starwood properties as well, as I'm plat.
with both.
Old Jan 16, 2001, 2:51 pm

sunil -

I work for a company 10 miles down the road from SFO and have stayed at ALL the hotels in the SFO/San Mateo area over the past six years. Since I am on a "Hilton" quest for Diamond this year, I have been stayoing exclusively at HH properties for the past few months out there. Oh yes, I am out to SFO once each month, on average.

I stay at the San Mateo Garden Inn just off of Hwy-92. There is also one up at the airport across the street from the Double Tree and just a half block from the Embassy Suites. I do not like the DT - it is old and worn down. I do not believe the food there would meet your needs. The EMB does have a restaurant but not sure it would work either.

The Hyatt-SFO is "nice" but your food choice is a limiting factor. Since you are not Diamond at Hyatt you will not get an amenity at that property.

Marriott-SFO has a "Heart Health" menu from Room Service and their gym is quite good. But vary pricy hotel as is the Hyatt. There is also the Westin on the corner where you turn to go down Bayshore Hwy to the Marriott. Never stayed there ($$$). The rest of the hotels in the SFO area are dumps and this includes the newly re-branded "Sheraton" which is an old old Crown Plaza from HI.

The is a new Marriott at Hwy-101 and Hwy-92 if you can get into it. Siebel keeps it very full though. Don't know about the Restaurant as I have never eaten there.

There is such a great chice of healthy restaurants within a five mile radius of Hwys-101 and -92, why don't you just pick the hotel and eat out. That is what I do.

dAAvid -
Old Jan 16, 2001, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sunil... Interesting enough that you are going to be in the Bay Area and the hotel price doesn't matter. Work perhaps? (expect a 20-25 minute commute in the mornings).

Anyways, there are 3 Airport Hilton properties. They are actually in Burlingame off of the Anza Street exit (heading north) and the Broadway exit (heading south) on 101. I have stayed at all 3 within the past month. The Garden Inn, is well, a Garden Inn. And then as Bigtex1 mentioned, there is the Doubletree and Embassy Suites.

Although the DT was nice, I was unimpressed. Also there is an $11 a day charge for parking there (I know that financially it doesn't make a deal, but I just hate having to have to expense more things for work).

So my bet would be with the Embassy Suites. It has a great view of the bay and a very impressive inside (with 8 story palm trees). And as all Embassy Suites, there is the made to order breakfast and the complimentary happy hour from 5:30 to 7:30 which is fun to take advantage of. The hotel bar is often filled with people until closing as well.

As a gold, I did receive a "welcome kit" of snacks upon my arrival (they were in my room). But nothing else (except complimentary breakfast at the DT)
Old Jan 16, 2001, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

chexfan, right on ...work it is, and I think
you know where ; ) . Anyway I'm currently
staying at the Garden Inn in Burlingame
and boy is the gym small. I'm thinking
of moving over to the Westin. Any thoughts ?

Sunil
Old Apr 10, 2001, 11:36 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Arrow DISCUSSION for Hilton HHonors Hotels at San Francisco Airport SFO, California {US-CA}

Planning a stay for Apr 14 - 16, which Airport Hilton should I choose? I am a bit confused as there are 3 nearby the airport it seems and rates for this weekend are quite similar..

Hilton Garden Inn SFO Airport North: $79 Standard Rate $99 Rate with Breakfast
Hilton Garden Inn SFO Airport/Burlingame : $$98 Standard Rate or Rate with Breakfast
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo: $94 Standard Rate, $114 Rate with breakfast

Do they all have free shuttle from the airport?
How are the rooms like?
Could I expect free breakfast as a GLD member if I just pay the standard rate?

A bit off topic from Hilton, Westin SFO airport have a rate of $110 this weekend, Should I go for that instead or the Hilton would be good enough? I'll probably be just at the hotel at the night time.

Thanks
Old Apr 11, 2001, 12:19 am

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
I have stayed at the Garden Inn SFO North and SFO Burlingame. Both offered shuttle services to SFO; however, I didn't use it since I rented car. I didn't stay at the Garden Inn San Mateo yet, so couldn't tell you much about it. Both the SFO North and the SFO Burlingame's rooms are pretty standard Garden Inn Room. Comfortable for a good night rest, but nothing fancy. We were given breakfast coupons at both Garden Inns (but when Airport North first opened, the front desk didn't know about HHonor Gold's benefit, so I actually had to go back to the room and printed out the term before she would give me the breakfast coupons.) But, I heard it's better now. So, you should be fine w/ just standard rate. Btw, the $79 rate's pretty good.
Old Apr 11, 2001, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will ditto Helen123's recap for the Burlingame GI. I have stayed there twice since december. I was given my breakfast coupons w/o asking.
Old Aug 17, 2001, 5:27 am

SFO Garden Inn Which?

Any reasons to pick the Garden Inn North or the Garden Inn/Burlingame at the Airport in SF? Does one offer a shuttle, is one newer,
better breakfast for a Gold? Just want a reason to pick one over the other. Is it worth 25,000 of my HH points to stay one night? The Embassy Suites at the airport is 30,000 HH points. Is it worth it? or should I just pocket my 5000 points?
Old Aug 17, 2001, 7:04 am

Programs: Skyteam, *A, 1W
I have stayed at both locations last June.

Overall, I have to say I prefer the HGI in Burlingame. It's located in a more interesting location (you can even see SFO across the bay). Doubletree and Embassy Suites are just across the steets.
It's also newer in comparison to HGI SFO North.
Meanwhile, HGI SFO North is located in a middle of nowhere (surrounded by office buildings).
Both HGIs provide free shuttle to the airport.
However, as a Gold member, if breakfast is really important to you, the one in SFO North will be a better choice as it provides free buffet. The one in Burlingame only gives free continental breakfast.
If you are using your points for the stay, I would rather chip in another 5,000 points for a suite and guaranteed free breakfast buffet! Better value for your points. Just my opinion...

Funny thing is back in June, only HGI SFO North charged me for $2.50 energy surcharge...and it wasn't listed on the website! Considering it is in CA, I didn't argue about it.

Have a pleasant stay there!
Old Aug 17, 2001, 2:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
We are looking at the same choice of hotels(HGI North or South) but we also like to use the leisure/pool facilities so is there one better than the other.
Thanks
Alan
Old Aug 17, 2001, 6:43 pm

If I take your advice and go to Embassy Suites, does the one in Burlingame have a free shuttle and the great view of SF? I love the view from Sausalito.
Old Aug 18, 2001, 1:00 am

Programs: Skyteam, *A, 1W
Lorra - First of all, the Embassy Suites in Burlingame does have a free shuttle to/from the airport.
However, I have to disappoint you that it does not have a view of SF (downtown San Francisco)....I would say more like a view of SFO (San Francisco Int'l Airport). In fact, none of the hotels in Burlingame nor South San Francisco has any view of the downtown area.
I would say it's a far cry from the spectacular view from Sausalito!! Just so you know...

Alan - Sorry I can't really answer your question since I didn't pay much attention to the pool/sauna area.
However, I do know the rooms on the top floor of HGI North have jacuzzis in it. I was upgraded once to the top floor...
Old Aug 18, 2001, 8:26 am
Original Poster

I've stayed at both locations and would
never stay at the HGI at the Airport.
Overall terrible experience . In fact if
you stay at the HGI in Burlingame, say
Hi to Roger to me, the front desk manager.
He takes good care of people !
Old Aug 18, 2001, 7:14 pm

I've stayed at both and think their almost identical. The one in Burlingame was a little nicer, but not much. They both hava a pool and hot tub. I'd probably stay at the Embassy Suites.
Old Aug 19, 2001, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA LIFETIME GOLD, 1.7MM; HH Diamond
I've stayed at the HGI North several times in the last few months and enjoyed my stay. It isn't the best Hilton property but it had a nice pool and hot tub which no one seems to use and an exercise room with very little equipment. I did use the treadmill and, again, there was no one in the exercise room either.

The restaurant has a good buffet breakfast but the rest of the day I would avoid it. Food is only passing fair.

Have a good trip.

Chris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.