Community
Wiki Posts
Search

credit card charged twice....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by mnredfox
OP, not sure why your bank is giving you the run around, perhaps call another agent?

I've disputed charges (this is a dispute, not a fraud case) many times on over 4 cards with 3 different banks, all just simply open a dispute file, refund my money, and no other changes to my account.
i've tried 2 different agents & my sources at the bank....this is their policy....i think its pretty stupid but i'm not here to debate their policy....i just want my money back & would prefer to keep the same card....
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:16 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
same problem only w/ Amex Gold card

I was TRIPLE CHARGED by the hotel and the staff were clueless on how ot help. The manager took forever to speak w/ someone at Amex and kept denying they had done the overcharge, saying it was Amex problem.
One clue to the OP's challenge might be - since i was TRIPLE charged, Amex would not process the dispute online, I had to talk to someone on the phone. They wanted to consider it fraud and take my card but when I told them I thought it was just hotel incompetence they agreed to treat it like a dispute, and the credit came in a few days later.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
here is an update....i got this reply from the hotel today:

Dear Mr. Keyser,

First of all I would like to apologize for the delay in process, I have personally followed up with accounts for the refund on your credit card. I have been advised by our accounts manager that they have already processed the application for refund to the bank and it takes about 14 working days for the refund to reflect on your account. I have advised our accounts manager that the refund should be reflective in your account before the 15th of July.

Thanks & regards

***** ***** | Front Office Manager|
i have asked them to provide proof they have requested the credit....
Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by squeakr
I was TRIPLE CHARGED by the hotel and the staff were clueless on how ot help. The manager took forever to speak w/ someone at Amex and kept denying they had done the overcharge, saying it was Amex problem.
One clue to the OP's challenge might be - since i was TRIPLE charged, Amex would not process the dispute online, I had to talk to someone on the phone. They wanted to consider it fraud and take my card but when I told them I thought it was just hotel incompetence they agreed to treat it like a dispute, and the credit came in a few days later.
The OP has stated that he's verified with Citi, through multiple sources, that if he disputes the second charge, they will reissue his card with a new expiration date and code.

I realize that most of us find this hard to believe, since at least in the US, most banks would simply dispute the charge, without having to reissue the card. However, as the OP is in India, their policy there is apparently different.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

another update:

the hotel finally sent me proof yesterday that they have requested the credit....i also spoke with my bank & they told me the credit should hit my account in another week at the latest....
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:41 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Very good news, thanks for updating us.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Citi is being extremely cautious right now because they had a data breach in early June. Unfortunately, many card numbers were exposed and ended up with fraudulent charges (including one of my own). In trying to contain the problem, Citi is issuing new cards when there is a potential fraudulent charge.

That being said, the front-line agents at Citi gave conflicting responses. When I requested to speak with the fraud department, they gave me consistent, truthful answers. So, I would ask to speak to a representative in the fraud department.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by formeraa
Citi is being extremely cautious right now because they had a data breach in early June. Unfortunately, many card numbers were exposed and ended up with fraudulent charges (including one of my own). In trying to contain the problem, Citi is issuing new cards when there is a potential fraudulent charge.

That being said, the front-line agents at Citi gave conflicting responses. When I requested to speak with the fraud department, they gave me consistent, truthful answers. So, I would ask to speak to a representative in the fraud department.
i have access to their legal team so i spoke with them....they confirmed what the agents told me earlier....
Old Aug 10, 2011, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
another update:

the hotel finally sent me proof yesterday that they have requested the credit....i also spoke with my bank & they told me the credit should hit my account in another week at the latest....
the credit finally showed up yesterday....almost 8 weeks after they made the charge....

when i saw nothing on my account till the 30th of july, i called the property back a bunch of times but could not get hold of the manager....i wrote a couple of emails as well but they went unanswered for 5 days....i finally got hilton corporate involved & was contacted by a guest assistance manager the following day....he said he would deal with the hotel on my behalf & 3 days later i get the credit....i don't know if his involvement helped or whether the credit actually takes this long but i'm glad this issue is finally resolved & i got my money back....
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thank you for sticking with us and keeping us updated - I am glad you finally were able to get this resolved. You are more patient than I am - at a property near my hose I would have gone during business hours and had a session with the GM.

It also seems some of us are not aware this is about Citi in India and their policies, regardless of what we may have experienced with similar situations in the USA, UK, Canada, etc.

Originally Posted by Keyser
the credit finally showed up yesterday....almost 8 weeks after they made the charge....

when i saw nothing on my account till the 30th of july, i called the property back a bunch of times but could not get hold of the manager....i wrote a couple of emails as well but they went unanswered for 5 days....i finally got hilton corporate involved & was contacted by a guest assistance manager the following day....he said he would deal with the hotel on my behalf & 3 days later i get the credit....i don't know if his involvement helped or whether the credit actually takes this long but i'm glad this issue is finally resolved & i got my money back....
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Thank you for sticking with us and keeping us updated - I am glad you finally were able to get this resolved. You are more patient than I am - at a property near my hose I would have gone during business hours and had a session with the GM.
i actually did make a trip to the hotel a few weeks ago....both the gm & the manager i was exchanging emails with were not present....i did speak with another manager & left my business card with her....she told me she would inform the gm but of course i got no response....
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
refund

They should issue you a full refund for the inconvenience. I strongly beleive so.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airplanepeanuts
They should issue you a full refund for the inconvenience. I strongly beleive so.
i got the full refund over 6 months ago....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.