Community
Wiki Posts
Search

credit card charged twice....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by RogerD408
The few times I've disputed a charge to my cc, they have suspended the charge while they investigated. That reduced my required payment and kept it from incurring finance charges. Once resolved, if deemed valid, it was replaced on my account and as long as paid during the current cycle and no finance charges.
like i said before, if i dispute the charge, citi will cancel the card & issue a replacement....the amount is not so big that i can't pay it & get the refund later....i would just prefer it was sorted out before the payment was due....

As to needing to replace the card because the hotel still has the card info, that strikes me as bogus since just about every merchant has your card info and they should be replacing your card after every charge! I'm thinking the agent is making things up.
its not bogus & the agent did not make it up....citi is a client of mine & i checked with my sources in their legal department as well....they confirmed that it is the bank's policy to cancel the card if i dispute a charge or initiate a chargeback....
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I'd suggest call back and get a different rep on the phone. Explain the hotel has acknowledged their error and ask if they can suspend the charge while the credit is being processed. I can't believe they replace a card every time there is a dispute filed.
that is their policy....i've confirmed....
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Keyser
that is their policy....i've confirmed....
Say what? --

I've had cards where I've had to dispute charges because I was either charged twice for the same item, or charged for something that wasn't delivered. In all three of those cases, I wasn't required to pay the disputed charge and was able to work things out with the vendors and didn't have to get a new card number.

I also had one case with a Hilton card that I used just at Hiltons and had stayed at an ES, but got charged for some flights in Europe that I didn't book.

In that case, because fraud was involved I had the charge card number changed and got a new one about a week after I called in.

Bob H
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
My guess is that the credit may have been sent to Citi within the 5 days, but that it may take a while until the credit posts to Citi.

Rather than call about it, send a certified letter to the hotel, requesting proof of the credit. If you don't receive proof or the credit before the deadline for disputing charges on your card, dispute the charge and change all of the automatic payments. If you do receive proof before that, or the credit itself hits, then no worries.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by BobH
Say what? --

I've had cards where I've had to dispute charges because I was either charged twice for the same item, or charged for something that wasn't delivered. In all three of those cases, I wasn't required to pay the disputed charge and was able to work things out with the vendors and didn't have to get a new card number.

I also had one case with a Hilton card that I used just at Hiltons and had stayed at an ES, but got charged for some flights in Europe that I didn't book.

In that case, because fraud was involved I had the charge card number changed and got a new one about a week after I called in.

Bob H
Were the cards on which you had disputed charges Citi cards?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kipper
My guess is that the credit may have been sent to Citi within the 5 days, but that it may take a while until the credit posts to Citi.

Rather than call about it, send a certified letter to the hotel, requesting proof of the credit. If you don't receive proof or the credit before the deadline for disputing charges on your card, dispute the charge and change all of the automatic payments. If you do receive proof before that, or the credit itself hits, then no worries.
cordelli suggested this as well & its what i'm going to do tomorrow....thanks for the advice....
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
It's funny how charges process in minutes, but credits take forever... That minus sign must be pretty heavy. Definately a disconnect in the process to me.

Merchant sends to CC processing agent, they send it to their bank, they send it to CC company (Visa, MC, etc.), they send it to your bank.

I don't do business with Citi anymore, and glad I don't hearing this.

Good luck getting everything resolved.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:58 am

It's funny how charges process in minutes, but credits take forever... That minus sign must be pretty heavy. Definately a disconnect in the process to me.

Merchant sends to CC processing agent, they send it to their bank, they send it to CC company (Visa, MC, etc.), they send it to your bank.

I don't do business with Citi anymore, and glad I don't hearing this.

Good luck getting everything resolved.
They're in a hurry to take your money, so they can use it, but they aren't in a hurry to give it back, because they are using it in some way.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
no confusion....like i said before, i spoke with my bank & in order to initiate the 'chargeback' inquiry the bank will cancel my card & issue a new one....a process i want to avoid unless it is necessary....

no crooked employee here....the hotel has admitted that the second charge was made & are agreeing to refund it....its the lackluster response regarding the refund i am concerned about....
When you call, there is no record of what ocurred. Use the bank's website. There should be a link to "dispute a charge" and one of the options is generally "duplicate charge."

Just because someone you've never met at a hotel tells you that they know they made an error and fix it doesn't mean that there isn't a fraud and they don't want to tell you.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
When you call, there is no record of what ocurred. Use the bank's website. There should be a link to "dispute a charge" and one of the options is generally "duplicate charge."

Just because someone you've never met at a hotel tells you that they know they made an error and fix it doesn't mean that there isn't a fraud and they don't want to tell you.
i agree with you about the fraud....however, i have re-checked with the bank & even if i use the website they will still cancel the card & issue a new one....if this does not get resolved by the 16th then i'm afraid i'll have to do so....tomorrow i'm going to ask the hotel to give me confirmation that they have reversed the charge....
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by kipper
Were the cards on which you had disputed charges Citi cards?
One was and it was a fraud case -- the others were not.

You may have a bargaining chip with them in as much as they want to change your card number --- at a minimum I would ask them to change all the automatic charge stuff -- or tell them that if you switch it to another card, you're not going to switch it a second time.

Let us know how this sorts out.

Bob H
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
i agree with you about the fraud....however, i have re-checked with the bank & even if i use the website they will still cancel the card & issue a new one....if this does not get resolved by the 16th then i'm afraid i'll have to do so....tomorrow i'm going to ask the hotel to give me confirmation that they have reversed the charge....
This IS NOT TRUE.

When I log into my Citi cards account, I can dispute a charge online, using the form, and there is NO verbiage or indication that my card will be re-issued (just as I'd expect). NONE.

I'm not sure what the OP's problem is, but would guess it's not understanding how to file a dispute online.

Again, Citi DOES NOT require a card re-issue to simply dispute a charge. It does, however, require that the charge have posted to a statement, and not simply be in "recent charges." Since you have 30 days beyond the statement date to pay, though, and a dispute is resolved before that date, it's NOT an issue.

The exact veribage from Citi's dispute form:

If you wish to dispute a charge, first select the statement period in which the charge appears from the “Select Time Period” dropdown menu. Then select the “+” next to the transaction in question and click the “Dispute This Charge” link. Once you have submitted the form, we’ll work with the merchant on your behalf, and send a letter, email or statement message notifying you of the outcome.

Be sure that you've tried contacting the merchant about your dispute before proceeding. You'll need to provide an explanation of your experience in the form below. Complete one form for each item you are disputing.

If you are disputing a transaction that is no longer available online or does not have a link to “Dispute this Charge” call Customer Service at 1-866-449-2484 or fax a letter to 1-866-799-4758.

Note: If your card has been lost, stolen or you haven’t received it, don’t complete this form. Call our Customer Service department immediately at 1-866-449-2484.
And the dropdown list of reasons for the dispute:

Old Jul 12, 2011, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
He's not saying the web site states a new card will be issued, but people he's talked to are telling him regardless of calling in the despute or using the web site a new card will be issued as company policy. I don't believe they have such a policy, but he's done his due dilegence and then some. I understand not wanting to change all the card payment setups and would avoid it if I could. Fortunately it's not a case of someone going crazy charging his card so giving the hotel time to correct the problem is reasonable (although I think they have had enough time).

Not all CC companies have the same policy as I have disputed a few charges on my AMEX and I still have the same card number and the autopays were unaffectived. If Citi wants to burn through card numbers, then that's their choice.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ColumbiaPete
You don't have to deal with the hotel at all. Just report it to your credit card issuer as an unauthorized charge. They'll deal with the merchant.
+1

as mentioned before, it is a credit card....the amount has been clearly charged twice, once on the 1st & then again on the 17th....the hotel has admitted that the card has been charged twice....its just the laid back casual attitude of the property that is causing me concern....

i have spoken to my bank about this....if i report it as a double charge then that means the merchant has my card details & as far as the bank is concerned they can use it again....they will therefore cancel the card & issue a new one....my card number will remain the same but the expiry date & cvv code will change....it is the policy of the bank....
OP, not sure why your bank is giving you the run around, perhaps call another agent?

I've disputed charges (this is a dispute, not a fraud case) many times on over 4 cards with 3 different banks, all just simply open a dispute file, refund my money, and no other changes to my account.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mreed911
This IS NOT TRUE.

When I log into my Citi cards account, I can dispute a charge online, using the form, and there is NO verbiage or indication that my card will be re-issued (just as I'd expect). NONE.

I'm not sure what the OP's problem is, but would guess it's not understanding how to file a dispute online.

Again, Citi DOES NOT require a card re-issue to simply dispute a charge. It does, however, require that the charge have posted to a statement, and not simply be in "recent charges." Since you have 30 days beyond the statement date to pay, though, and a dispute is resolved before that date, it's NOT an issue.
i'm not quite sure what your problem is but i think you lack the ability to understand that different countries have different banking laws & just because the citi website in the united states says something then it does not mean the citi website in india would say the same thing....

i have checked & re-checked with citi & it is their policy in india to issue a new card in the event of a dispute....posting a reply in bold letters will not change that fact....if you don't have anything useful to say then please just move on to a different thread....

Last edited by Keyser; Jul 13, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.