Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton San Diego Airport / Harbor Island {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton San Diego Airport / Harbor Island {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HariBlue108
How bad was the noise from the construction if you happened to be around during the daytime? When I called the hotel yesterday they mentioned that all the construction is almost complete and its only areas of the lobby that are under construction now and was assured that the rooms were away from the lobby. Is this true? I've booked a 9-day stay here and will be working from the hotel part of the time, so I'll appreciate any feedback.

Thank you!
I wasn't around the hotel during the day so I cannot comment on the construction noise. I was just disappointed at the whole property and the condition of the guest rooms, the lobby and the restaurant.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by poser
Is there parking near so you can skip the $22 a day at the hotel ?
There is parking... however it is till sunset/2200lcl time. If you are really, and mean really trying to stretch a few bucks. park your car in Bankers Hill in a non-metered area, and then cab it back (2-3miles).

That particular Hilton has been terrific! I recommend it to any family and friends who are flying into town. The view of the bay/Coronado is reason enough.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by shadowbozo
I wasn't around the hotel during the day so I cannot comment on the construction noise. I was just disappointed at the whole property and the condition of the guest rooms, the lobby and the restaurant.
Thank you! I called the Hilton Bayfront and they had availability. So I ended up booking there as I did not want to take a chance with the construction in the lobby, even if its far away from the guest rooms. I had a REALLY bad experience with construction going on at the outside pool a couple of years ago at the Hilton in Destin, FL and that totally ruined my stay. I had this as a back up reservation, but ended up canceling it.

Thanks again for your time and feedback!
Old Jul 2, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
What are my options - need advice ASAP

I booked a room at the Hilton San Diego Harbor Island for July 3-4 back in December. I chose the Superior Harbor View category because that would have a direct view of the Harbor and the Fireworks (quite great in SD I hear).

Went to do OLCI this morning and coming up with that I cannot choose a room. I called the hotel to ask about options and was told ALL Harbor View rooms have already been pre-assigned, and I was not one of them.

Poor night desk clerk was quite apologetic and blubbery, said he was told not to touch any room assignments, and I was told to call back after 8 to speak to the powers that be (I have names).

I know my choices will be "cancel or come and have a non-view room". If we go...and yes, we can just walk outside and see the fireworks but that's not the point...should I be entitled to anything beyond that?

And if we cancel, is it just a simple cancellation or should I ask for any points, etc. as goodwill?

Another issue: I reserved that room/view at a very good rate back in December, and the non-view rooms are now (and have been for a while) higher in price than the spectacular view room I did reserve.

I'm Gold, so was I bumped for Diamonds/their personal friends/ or who? to have those rooms already assigned (without me in one of them) when I made the reservation so long ago?

I know room types/views are not guaranteed, but when they individually sell the specific categories, are you not supposed to get the view/type you purchase? This is not a "request" for a better view, it is a specific category.

Want to know what to do when I call in an hour.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC Gold (OWE)
My knowledge is if they can't offer you that room category, then they have to offer you better. They most certainly cannot "downgrade" you. That's my two cents, I'd imagine someone knows all the T&Cs etc.

If you do cancel, I'd ask for compensation. Bit of a ridiculous situation in all honesty, I'd just push to be assigned the category I booked. Not acceptable in my eyes.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 8:42 am

I would push for what was booked or something better as well. In your case, you booked a specific room type at a premium (at the time of booking) so property should accomodate you.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 8:49 am

That's great to say but if they simply do not have that category available (which is the highest) and they are not going to toss out someone already in there, what options do I realistically have?

What would be a reasonable compensation for a lower category room and/or cancelling completely (can they possibly charge me since it's beyond the cancellation deadline???).
Old Jul 2, 2016, 9:54 am

In your case, if you are willing to cancel the trip, I believe there is no issue getting a full refund as the property dropped the ball on this instance. If done properly, you might even get some extra points. Alternatively, show up and see if you get your room. If you do not, you can still decide to walk out for the view and then follow up with the property GM about your disappointing stay as you booked the room for the view. You might get a night off, equivalent points or a BMG cert.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:06 am

Well, this was completely unexpected.

Just called and was told "I'm so sorry you were told that, we can give you an assigned room in that category"...got the room number, got the person's name, asked if there was ANY possibility we might be walked, was told no, so I guess we're good to go!
Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Good to hear- if it goes downhill, I'd take the downgrade only if they comp it.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:37 am

I think we'll be ok. This all started when I tried to do OLCI this morning. But after getting the room assignment from the hotel an hour ago I just got another OLCI e-mail just a few minutes ago with the correct room assigned.

I know things can happen after this point but I'll deal with them if and when they arise - hopefully they won't.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Much Ado About Nothing (W. Shakespeare 1564-1616)
Old Jul 2, 2016, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by sbams
Much Ado About Nothing (W. Shakespeare 1564-1616)
Really, sbams? So if you had made a reservation 7 months ago for a view of the fireworks, and were told the day before that all those rooms were assigned, and you were not one of them, that would be ok with you?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Really, sbams? So if you had made a reservaItion 7 months ago for a view of the fireworks, and were told the day before that all those rooms were asetsigned, and you were not one of them, that would be ok with you?
Certainly not MAAN, but dealing with a non-empowered night clerk might have been a clue. I did not post when I first saw the thread, but I did think to myself "I bet the view room is already assigned, and neither the clerk nor the OLCI system can see that".

Anyway, glad it worked out, and please let us know how it went overall.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jul 3, 2016 at 9:30 am
Old Jul 3, 2016, 3:16 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Really, sbams? So if you had made a reservation 7 months ago for a view of the fireworks, and were told the day before that all those rooms were assigned, and you were not one of them, that would be ok with you?
No, of course not, not at all. I understand your predicament. But I would have dealt with it differently. I am glad it worked out - enjoy the fireworks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.