FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Miami Airport Blue Lagoon {US-FL} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/123156-hilton-miami-airport-blue-lagoon-us-fl.html)

Russ21Atl Dec 15, 2000 5:32 pm

Hilton Miami Airport Blue Lagoon {US-FL}

I have never stayed at this property, so was wondering if anyone has. I will be confirmed in a Towers floor room ($114, $89 for a reg. room), and was told I can then standby to upg to a Jr. Suite. I called the hotel directly, and she put me on some kind of a waitlist.

Has anyone ever been in one of these suites? Do they vary from hotel to hotel?

And....this is a dumb question, but in the Executive Lounge, are the alcoholic drinks free? I know the hors d'oeuvres are, but didn't know about the drinks.

In general how is this property? Fitness center, pool, staff, etc. Thank you in advance.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif
Russ

Tomphot Dec 15, 2000 6:04 pm

I like the property. My last time there, I had a very large corner room that overlooked the airport. I liked watching the planes come and go and wondering what was going on with the unmarked 737 that was surrounded by police cars for about 30 minutes.
I'm not sure about the drinks as I didn't have time to have one. I usually find that drinks vary from property to property and I'm sure someone else knows better than I.
The fitness room was very nice and if you have a car, it will very safe with the secure parking lot.
There always seems to be a lot of meetings going on at this hotel and depending on the floor, the hallways can get loud late at night, that's why I prefer a corner room, less traffic.
Have a good stay.

FlierLie Dec 15, 2000 6:09 pm

Hi, Russ.

I stayed at that property last December for one night (mileage run). My room was a junior suite. The layout was nice, but the carpet and furniture had seen better days. I only used the lounge for breakfast so I can not answer about the alcohol. The pool area is nice, but the water temperature was very cool. They also had a hot tub. The hotel is across a small lake or bay from the airport, so don't expect too much relaxation by the pool. Although the rooms are soundproofed, jet noise can still be heard. I hope this helps.

Jim

Greytop Dec 15, 2000 6:57 pm

Got upgraded to a junior suite in July. Had an outdoor balcony, very large bedroom, living room, large marble bathroom. I was only sorry I was only staying one night. No other property has upgraded me to anything as nice.

------------------
AS MVP Gold, UA PremEx, HHonors Gold

Cambiste Dec 16, 2000 2:18 pm

As a new Diamond I have been upgraded 3/3 even when I suggested that for a 8 hour stay - late arrival - early departure - it wasn't necessary. Good suites - the circular one is best - the view is good - lounge fine. You can have a long walk from the elevators however to some suites since they seem to be on the outside periphery.

Although my timing has only allowed one evening and two breakfasts - been upgraded on $89 rate and $119. We'll see around Christmas and New Year when I have two more reservations. Although not my thing, I believe the alcoholic drinks were on an honor system and not free - but not sure.

HHonors check in desk is really an advantage since the property is a staging point for cruise passengers who form long lines as they arrive from everywhere at cheap rates.

Front desk staff good.

Good shuttle back and forward from airport.
Works well for me as a layover - wish I could spend more time.

[This message has been edited by Cambiste (edited 12-16-2000).]

Art234 Dec 17, 2000 12:45 pm

Russ,

I stayed 2 nites at that property this week, and had a junior suite--it was excellent. There was a small balcony overlooking the airport/lagoon, and it was spacious and comfortable. I arrived late at night, and found I was already checked in and upgraded (not requested!), even though I am a lowly Gold VIP (15 nights this past month though).

Regarding the lounge, although I was on the 4th floor, I had a gold room key, which included concierge lounge access. It is a nice lounge, but I was only there for breakfast--can't answer the question about drinks.

If you're interested, there is a popular salsa night club in the hotel, open Thurs-Sun.

By the way I passed through ATL 3 times this week and asked for you at each club--I know you were working days, but if anyone said there was someone asking after you, it was me. Perhaps one day I might actually find you. I spoke with the bartender at A-17 club-Steve Tillman--I showed him the pictures of the Lockheed Constellation I rode on--he'll remember me.

Happy Holidays and
Regards

Art at ISP

yyzflyer Feb 28, 2002 9:36 pm

Hilton MIA question

I've read all the threads I could find on Miami airport hotels and conclude the Hilton is preferred over the Embassy Suites. They've got good rates for my dates, but there is $23 difference for exec. level. Is the lounge open on weekends or am I wasting my 23 bucks? Better yet, is it easy to get an upgrade without paying the extra? (I should be Gold by then.)

mpc1 Mar 1, 2002 1:10 am

Don't count on an upgrade at the MIA Airport Hilton on Blue Lagoon. During a Nov 2001 stay, they upgraded a 30-hour-old blue basicmember who was traveling with me and as a HHonors gold, I got a basic wheel-chair accessible room right next the elevator. (I'm not in a wheel chair and my HHnonor profile specifies not near the elevator)

Otherwise, the property has a very nice location as a 'base of operations' in South Flordia. The hotel lounge is a "very happening" Cuban dance bar. Hotel guests enjoy 'front of the line' privileges during the frequent weekend long entry lines.

[This message has been edited by mpc1 (edited 03-01-2002).]

fetchem Mar 1, 2002 3:37 am

Your Gold Card should give you lounge access if you don't mind taking the elevator. Drinks are served by honor bar. Therefore, you are probably wasting $23.

Save your money and spend it downstairs at Club Mystique like mpc1 suggests. Friday happy hours are popular with free sushi and champagne. Miami's best salsa dancers hang out Thursday and Sunday evenings. Grupo Niche, Gran Combo, Eddie Santiago, Puertorican Power and Frankie Negron will be playing next Saturday for Carnival.

http://www.clubmystique.com/

RTWSTARALLIANCE Jun 6, 2002 8:12 am

Hilton Miami Airport Reviewed

I have no luck with Hilton. Upon check in
ask for quiet room. Given upgraded corner
"suite" by active runway. Ask to be moved
even to just regular room. Second given
room next to elevator. At last given corner
"suite" on quiet side of Hotel. Room I was
told at check-in not available. Lounge is
nothing. TV was not even working. Staff was
bad. No personality just robots. Free
shuttle to and from MIA. As I left Hotel I
noted others in the area. See ya!

aussiemate Sep 8, 2003 11:20 am

Hilton Miami Airport - Nice Service!

Just wanted to write a quick blurb here to say that when we checked in to the hotel on Saturday, we learned that the Executive Lounge was under renovation and was closed. No complaints as we were upgraded to a beautiful corner suite with private balcony and got breakfast coupons for full American breakfast for everyone in our room. I really enjoy it when we receive Gold perks without asking. This was my second stay here this year. Last time the Exec. Lounge was open, and I had access but no suite. I was really surprised we got the nice upgrade since the hotel was sold out.

Aussiemate

El Cochinito Sep 8, 2003 2:31 pm

We were just there at the Miami Airport Hilton Friday night and had a similar experience! On check-in I mentioned to the clerk that I needed to switch from a king bed room to a room with two beds because "mi suegra" (my mother-in-law) joined us on vacation at the last minute. She said she'd do one better and give me a nice corner suite so we could have more room. Vouchers for full breakfast offered w/o prompting.

JONEZY00 Sep 8, 2003 4:06 pm

I'll also chime in my praises of the Miami Hilton. Our flights were cancelled last winter due to snow in MSP and DTW. I called them for a room, within 30 minutes I was checked in and upgraded to a corner suite. Very efficient and professional property (even w/o the upograde!!).

[This message has been edited by JONEZY00 (edited 09-08-2003).]

CLG Jul 1, 2005 6:47 am

Recommendations about Hilton MIA?

Hey all, tried a search for reports about the Hilton Miami Airport, but no luck finding any trip reports, etc. I am considering booking here for next week, and I was wondering what a HH Gold could expect (lounge? executive rooms? both?). Any help would be great!
-CLG

JDiver Jul 1, 2005 6:48 am

I stayed there once on a short overnight and don't remember much about the perks. But I normally stay at the ES MIA as it is nearby, has airport views and decent service, usually decent rates.