FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Miami Airport Blue Lagoon {US-FL} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/123156-hilton-miami-airport-blue-lagoon-us-fl.html)

CMK10 May 24, 2016 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by aww3583 (Post 26673944)
How loud is the airport?

Noise isn't noticeable at all.

JohnnyColombia May 24, 2016 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by aww3583 (Post 26673944)
Any additional or more recent info on this property?

Considering a 2-night stay here for business in July, but am open to any other HHonors property in the area.

How loud is the airport?

I prefer the Doubletree MIA to the Hilton MIA. Shuttle runs longer for antisocial hours flights, the breakfast is full buffet (as a Gold when I stayed) Exec floor is nice and the whole ambience of the place was more appealing.

I forget where I was flying to at about 6am but when I left Hilton MIA I could not find a single member of staff, it was like one of those self service places.

The airport is really really loud, but as CMK10 says you can not hear it from the hotel

Non-NonRev May 25, 2016 1:30 am

The hotel is opposite the south side of the airport - the majority of takeoffs (especially) and landinga are on the north runway, so the noise is not as bad as it could be.

pretzlaff May 25, 2016 9:56 am

Stayed there 2 weeks ago. Had a cash, non-smoking, suite reservation. Included a note that we would arrive at midnight. Got to the hotel and all they had 'left' was a suite that 'had been smoked in'. Downgraded and told that the price would be reduced. Bill had original rate. A Diamond reservation with a note about late arrival should not get downgraded.

Breakfast was a zoo. Host sort of explained that the continental breakfast was here and there, but don't touch anything hot. I showed my breakfast vouchers and he said we could have anything. When finished, we couldn't find wait staff for the bill, so we just left the vouchers and walked out.

Also, no lounge.

Not a good experience and we won't be back.

crabbing Jun 2, 2016 12:41 pm

just had a stay at the miami airport hilton.

first, it is really close to the airport, separated from the south runway by a road and the lagoon. my room was on the west side of the building so it faced the runway. takeoffs were not common, but there were some heavies that were loud. even at 3am.

i booked a non-smoking room, yet i somehow got assigned a smoking room when i checked in. i'm guessing i didn't get my lagoon-side room, but oh well (it looks like the price for lagoon view and other rooms are the same, based on a few dummy reservations).

breakfast opens at 6.30am, pretty late for an airport hotel. one thing i really liked was the carafe of hot coffee at every table, something i hadn't seen before. as a gold, i got a coupon for continental, which basically meant anything not hot. there was a good assortment of muffins, pastries, breads, and fruits.

also unusual, the "business center" is an open space with four computers and a printer adjacent to the lobby.

Cloudship Jun 24, 2016 6:25 pm

I notice a few of the rooms are advertised as having balconies, but looking at the hotel in Bing maps it doesn't look like any of them do, unless they are the ones along the top floor. Anyone know where the balcony rooms are located?

Non-NonRev Jun 24, 2016 6:32 pm

Try this view (left side corner, right side mid-building)

https://goo.gl/maps/nLtCJXTaZRm

kahuna1993 Jul 27, 2016 8:09 am

Reviewing stay in May : needs urgent remedial action to resemble Hilton!

We :Couple , HH Diamond paying from own pocket for stay .
Stayed two separate nights in May as first and last night of our Fl. vacation .

=> Because asking & especialy getting a room-upgrade as HH diamond at this MIA Hilton is becoming worse than going to the dentist, we simply skipped all the front desk BS about "fully booked" , "no upgrades available" , "sorry computer says no" ...and booked / paid 1-bedroom suites for both stays !
Apparently HH regulations re. HH Elite treatment at this Hilton mean nothing and are never applied by staff unless quoted and insisted on by guest !

=> This Hilton had in May already the third or fourth GM since our last visit in 2015 and the most senior staffmembers are 2 of the bell boys while most front desk staff seems to leave after about 6 - 8 weeks "presence " at this Hilton, says enough IMHO .

First night arrived after 12 hr trip including 9 hr TATL flight .
Check in :
Greeted by surly lady -acting as front desk staff- by only 2 words : " checking in ? ".
To which I feel like replying :" No ! Just me , my wife and 4 suitcases coming in for a look at your lobby and then we'll be on our way :)) !"
Good I could do OLCI & choose my room before leaving Europe so the interaction with this "customer representative" was kept to an absolute minimum !
1 BDR suite on high floor was clean , missing some towels and bathrobes but these came promptly after request to housekeeping.
Slept well and did not hear any takeoff or landing during the night .Firm, good bed!

Breakfast :
buffetstyle , got full buffet and enjoyed fruits and granola while my wife loves their cuban breakfast pastries , freshmade on site !!
Server - which we know from previous visits - excused herself as "new chef has just started and he was in proccess of cost cutting in F&B dept. so: less fresh fruit and less selection of meat cuts at buffet".OMG!

Requested late -check out at 2 pm as HH diamond from front desk bcse we had to go pick up rental car at MIA.
Denied !!
Latest check out possible without paying extra$ is 1 pm ,this according to front desk& per regulations from new GM ...
Have to ask to talk to front desk manager who approves "exceptional" late check out of 1:30 pm.
Check out at 1:30 pm ...

Second stay end of May .
Arrive from Naples Hilton to MIA Hilton at 5 pm , again did OLCI and choice of suite before arrival .
Get friendlier welcome from front desk staff member - turns out it is his second week here at MIA Hilton ;)))) - who gives us " ok " for late check out of 2 pm without any problem...
Manager comes from back office , mumbles something to FD employe and disappears to the back without aknowledging us ,not even nodding nor saying hello !!

Suite is same as last stay : clean but again short on towels and no bathrobes in the suite .
The lightbulbs in the livingroom which were broken last stay - and this was signaled to FD- have not been replaced so only 1 lamp for entire living room.
Might get extra charged by management for "romantic stay at MIA Hilton" ?

Breakfast buffet :
More choices of fruit and meat cuts than 2 weeks ago so "cost-cutting chef "may be out or on vacation today ?
Good cuban pastries and granola ...

Check out at 2 pm without further problems .

=>The staff at this MIA Hilton clearly has a growing problem re. lack of motivation and training which the high turnover of GM's and middle managers certainly will not help.

This makes us as paying HH guests wonder if each stay is worth all the hassle while there are many, many more newer Hilton group hotels around MIA providing better service for the same or lower rates?

Room Tip: plane lovers choose rooms overlooking MIA runways , others best ask for lagoon view

aww3583 Jul 27, 2016 8:54 am

Originally Posted by kahuna1993 (Post 26975399)
We :Couple , HH Diamond paying from own pocket for stay .
Stayed two separate nights in May as first and last night of our Fl. vacation .

=> Because asking & especialy getting a room-upgrade as HH diamond at this MIA Hilton is becoming worse than going to the dentist, we simply skipped all the front desk BS about "fully booked" , "no upgrades available" , "sorry computer says no" ...and booked / paid 1-bedroom suites for both stays !
Apparently HH regulations re. HH Elite treatment at this Hilton mean nothing and are never applied by staff unless quoted and insisted on by guest !

=> This Hilton had in May already the third or fourth GM since our last visit in 2015 and the most senior staffmembers are 2 of the bell boys while most front desk staff seems to leave after about 6 - 8 weeks "presence " at this Hilton, says enough IMHO .

First night arrived after 12 hr trip including 9 hr TATL flight .
Check in :
Greeted by surly lady -acting as front desk staff- by only 2 words : " checking in ? ".
To which I feel like replying :" No ! Just me , my wife and 4 suitcases coming in for a look at your lobby and then we'll be on our way :)) !"
Good I could do OLCI & choose my room before leaving Europe so the interaction with this "customer representative" was kept to an absolute minimum !
1 BDR suite on high floor was clean , missing some towels and bathrobes but these came promptly after request to housekeeping.
Slept well and did not hear any takeoff or landing during the night .Firm, good bed!

Breakfast :
buffetstyle , got full buffet and enjoyed fruits and granola while my wife loves their cuban breakfast pastries , freshmade on site !!
Server - which we know from previous visits - excused herself as "new chef has just started and he was in proccess of cost cutting in F&B dept. so: less fresh fruit and less selection of meat cuts at buffet".OMG!

Requested late -check out at 2 pm as HH diamond from front desk bcse we had to go pick up rental car at MIA.
Denied !!
Latest check out possible without paying extra$ is 1 pm ,this according to front desk& per regulations from new GM ...
Have to ask to talk to front desk manager who approves "exceptional" late check out of 1:30 pm.
Check out at 1:30 pm ...

Second stay end of May .
Arrive from Naples Hilton to MIA Hilton at 5 pm , again did OLCI and choice of suite before arrival .
Get friendlier welcome from front desk staff member - turns out it is his second week here at MIA Hilton ;)))) - who gives us " ok " for late check out of 2 pm without any problem...
Manager comes from back office , mumbles something to FD employe and disappears to the back without aknowledging us ,not even nodding nor saying hello !!

Suite is same as last stay : clean but again short on towels and no bathrobes in the suite .
The lightbulbs in the livingroom which were broken last stay - and this was signaled to FD- have not been replaced so only 1 lamp for entire living room.
Might get extra charged by management for "romantic stay at MIA Hilton" ?

Breakfast buffet :
More choices of fruit and meat cuts than 2 weeks ago so "cost-cutting chef "may be out or on vacation today ?
Good cuban pastries and granola ...

Check out at 2 pm without further problems .

=>The staff at this MIA Hilton clearly has a growing problem re. lack of motivation and training which the high turnover of GM's and middle managers certainly will not help.

This makes us as paying HH guests wonder if each stay is worth all the hassle while there are many, many more newer Hilton group hotels around MIA providing better service for the same or lower rates?

Room Tip: plane lovers choose rooms overlooking MIA runways , others best ask for lagoon view

Just left here after a 2-night business stay.

I thought the staff was great. All of my interactions (check-in, housekeeping, breakfast) were great. There is no lounge, but they gave us drink/appetizer coupons for use at the bar.

We had a 1K reservation and used OLCI to pick a room on the 9th floor. Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a huge suite. This is the first upgrade after OLCI I've ever had. It was a pleasant surprise! There were no issues with linen, housekeeping, or noise. The A/C wasn't great, but the room faced east, so it wasn't hot in the afternoon.

We asked for a 2PM check-out and were granted it without any questions. The agent did say "Any later and we have to charge you."

The breakfast buffet was a huge spread with hot and cold items fully complementary. Again, this is becoming rarer among full-service Hiltons.

The lunch at the cafe was really bad, but it was our only major negative complaint. The server said "I wouldn't order that" when my wife selected a chicken sandwich. She settled for a BLT which was mostly lettuce and mayo.

The rooms don't have fridges for personal use. There is a large note saying "Storing of items in the fridge is subject to a $25/day penalty." We could request a fridge for $20/day. I'm sorry, this is a full-service, lounge-less Hilton. Give me a fridge.

xenole Sep 1, 2016 3:25 pm

I assume this is fine for an overnight stay, say 8:30pm-5am if I was to use 12000 points + $50?

jerry a. laska Sep 1, 2016 3:44 pm

I had a recent stay here. As a diamond I was upgraded to a large king suite. The drink/appetizer coupon that you are provided (referred to by kahuna 1993 above) are for nonalcoholic drinks only. The pool area is large with a large number of lounge chairs so there should be no shortages. Every staff person I dealt with was pleasant and helpful. Ate at the bar and the meal was fine while watching the Olympics. The shuttle was on time in the morning. An excellent stay.

xenole: The rates are low enough here at times I'm not sure I would go for a P + M rate.

CMK10 Sep 2, 2016 11:27 am

Originally Posted by xenole (Post 27152908)
I assume this is fine for an overnight stay, say 8:30pm-5am if I was to use 12000 points + $50?

I'd gladly pay that rate for this hotel for the times you have listed ^

Cloudship Sep 2, 2016 7:29 pm

I am not sure what dates you are looking at, but this hotel is often well under $100 a night, so unless your dates are during a peak time, I would think the points worth more than the savings.

xenole Sep 3, 2016 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Cloudship (Post 27158445)
I am not sure what dates you are looking at, but this hotel is often well under $100 a night, so unless your dates are during a peak time, I would think the points worth more than the savings.

There on Sat 12th Nov and it seems to be around $179 (+taxes?).

It's just from (earlier flight now compared to what I said earlier) after 3:30pm (arrival at MIA) to 9:44am (departure) and without knowing my way around public transport, not sure about venturing further afield. Don't want to be paying loads for cabs if there's no other easy way to and from the airport (Supershuttle could be an option as could the local bus but that might not run early enough for the return)

Cloudship Sep 3, 2016 7:05 am

I think the place isn't bad, and is worth the cost if you want to reserve it now. Is there a big event going on that weekend? They often times have much better rates a week or so out, so maybe see if the rate is cancellable, and then check to see if a much better rate comes out then.