Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Does Hilton Have The Worlds Dumbest Front Desk Clerks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2000, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I thought I was doing rather well earlier this year with Hilton stays as a HH GOLD with u/g's and comp breakfasts. As I neared PLAT, really strange things started happening. When I finally attained PLAT, really negative weird stuff re upgrades and comp breakfasts came on strong. Here are some recent actual comments uttered and proudly stated by the unknowing and/or uncaring dumb front desk clerks, dumb front desk managers and even one dumb HHonors MOD when I requested such at check-in:

(1) "We dont upgrade at this (Hilton) hotel."

(2) "This (Hilton) hotel did not join in on that program. We never did."

(3) "We already gave you a "special amenity". (after reading my well worn copy of the HH Terms & Conditions)

(4) and my favorite turn-down after she (the front desk mgr) studied my worn HH T&C "Here it is, right here at the beginning ........no breakfast sir, for we are a Hilton Garden Inn and not a Hilton Hotel, so youse'n dont get no free continental breakfast. Youse'n can buy some for $5.95 each."

I did meet with one nice enlightened GM after the (1) incindent above. She expressed total surprise/shock after reading the HH T&C, comped our room, upgraded us to a suite, sent the world's largest fruit/cheese/crackers/champagne basket to our room and apologized profusely. She said their training manual was hopelessly outdated and happily copied my HH T&C and graciously thanked me for it.

To her credit, said she would have meetings with all her FD staff the next day re the newly discovered HH T&C.

ps: hotels, dates and some names can be provided upon request

[This message has been edited by MisterNice (edited 11-09-2000).]
Old Nov 9, 2000, 6:34 pm

Comon Mr Nice post the hotels

Actually I thought I met the dumbest hotel clerk in a worst Western, in Buenos Aires who wanted to charge me for phone calls made 7 hours before we checked into the room.

Needless to say I told him he was Stupid, and a few other things.

Now I'm gonna get all those Politically Correct members telling me what a ....... I am.

Frankly Mr Nice, I agree 100% with you that when you pay $200.00-$300.00 you should get good service, but many of our friends here feel that the "feelings" of the locals that serve us counts much more, so be prepared to get some heat on this one!
Old Nov 9, 2000, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
There's really no need for Nice to post the hotels.

MOST Hilton Front Desk staff don't know the VIP benefits.

It is pretty sad when you have to ask for something you are supposed to automatically receive. It's just plain stupidity for the front desk people to say, you don't get that here. Unfortunately that is when I have to get my T&C sheet out and their faces turn red. (I offer them to make a photocopy).

C'mon Hilton, why can't you train the hotels instead of us guests having to do your work.

The possibilities of these scenarios only get worse when you check in at a DoubleTree, Embassy, or Hampton.

[This message has been edited by chix (edited 11-09-2000).]
Old Nov 9, 2000, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
No, Hilton doesn't have the world's dumbest front desk clerks. Almost every chain does. And in this economy it keeps on getting worse and worse. From people who can't use the keycard machine, to people who can't tell what rooms are occupied, to people who have never heard of the hotel program to which you belong ... one thought you spelled the word "east" as "este" (an american caucasian). If I really thought about this, I could probably go on for quite a while. All this is to say that Hilton proudly shares this banner with just about every other hotel chain, and does not possess this as an exclusive prize for itself.
Old Nov 9, 2000, 9:06 pm

MisterNice

NO the dumbest Front Desk clerk works at the Hyatt Milwaukee. I am Diamond at Hyatt 9comparable to HH-Diamond). Got the wrong kind of room; NO "welcome" amenity; was told that USA Today was a $1 and could order it with my morning room service order and on and on.

Called to the Night Manager later, told him the story that he had something that really needed a fix worked on it. He Apologized and comped me fresh, hot coffee the next morning, with USA Today as well, delivered by Room Service as a wakeup call! Ah - fresh hot coffee right out of the bed, s-o-o-o nice!
Oh yes, the "guest" coffee there is in one of those "instant" machines out in the elevator lobby!

Back to the Hilton River North this coming Monday night! No more Hyatt in Milwaukee for sure, I have learned my lesson.
Old Nov 9, 2000, 9:30 pm

Programs: OWEm (lifetime OWSapph x2), lifetime *G
Eastbay1K, you're right. Almost every chain does. I've lost the incentive to renew my elite status with Starwood and Hilton, where I am platinum and gold respectively, and have been staying at a wide range of hotel chains this year. Who cares? Probability wise, your elite status makes no difference...

This is one reason why I am recently reverting to Four Seasons. I don't care if I'm a nobody with them and am not recognized as a "very special always staying money dropping" customer. I still get adequate treatment!
Old Nov 10, 2000, 6:21 pm

A newly acquired Stakis property in the South of England. Acquired by Hilton that is. I was charged for parking when my car was 5,000 miles away in Texas. Young kid was unable to appreciate the absurdity of the situation.
Old Nov 10, 2000, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
You wanna know what/who's dumb?
A counter clerk at the Budget Rent-A-Car at BWI. I had returned a car there after a 2 day rental; it had 130 miles in it, due to the drive back and forth to Washington, Virginia, and so forth. But the person at the express return service mistakenly punched in 13,000 miles, which made the rental charge to be ...(drum roll)... about $ 5,400.

Having realized this, I went to the rental desk and handed the receipt to a young agent. The agent stared at the receipt, me, the miles driven and me again, then asked:
"Where did you drive the car to?"

Not believing the question he asked and thinking that he was only joking, I said, (sarcastically): "To the moon and back, Alice!"

In which he asked again, innocently..."No, really, where did you drive the car to?"

*sigh* Vote for the public school system.

Jamester
Old Nov 13, 2000, 9:11 pm
Original Member

Jamester, that is hilarious!

Lessee...doin' the math here, say 2 days = 48 hrs. ROund up to 50 hours to make it easy. 13,000 miles divided by 50 hours comes to...260.

You were driving the rental 50 hours nonstop at *260* miles per hour??!!!

They shoulda arrested you!

P.S. What kind of car did you rent? I want one just like it.
Old Nov 14, 2000, 10:49 am

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
Originally posted by hnechets:
They shoulda arrested you!

P.S. What kind of car did you rent? I want one just like it.
hnechets,

It was actually one of them Dodge Caravan I rented with 4-5 other co-workers while attending a conference. Yes, they can go all the way to 260. (I checked the speedometer) No, they don't have Firestone tires on them.

I'm a California driver; they should arrest me anywhere I go.

Jamester
Old Nov 14, 2000, 11:06 am
Original Member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.