FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA {US-PA} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/123069-discussion-hilton-honors-hotels-near-pittsburgh-pennsylvania-usa-us-pa.html)

BillMorrow Nov 12, 2000 4:17 am

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA {US-PA}

I'm planning a quick trip to PIT and am looking for advice about these two Hotels.

I have previously stayed at the Hilton (when I was not Gold with HHonors) and was not impressed. The rooms were small and the public areas seemed overun with people at times.

What has your experience been staying these hotels as a Gold/Diamond? Were you upgraded to concierge/executive floors? Are the lounges open on the weekend? How are the rooms/public facilities?

Thanks for your help.

chix Nov 12, 2000 5:47 am

PIT HH towers lounge was very nice. Yes rooms were old and need an update. However, the junior suite upgrade was very good.

Only thing that could have made the stay better was a room on the entrance side for a riverview.

UpgradeMe Nov 12, 2000 8:06 am

Stayed at the Doubletree in April, very shortly after the HHonors expansion. I am Gold.

My rate was just over $100 per night. My club level upgrade was waiting for me at check-in. They screwed up my partner credits, but Adam and his staff cured that problem.

I would stay there again.

BillMorrow Nov 13, 2000 5:13 am

Thanks for the information.

I decided to go with the Doubletree. I called them and the lounge there is open on the weekend and it's less pricy than the Hilton .

stimpy Nov 13, 2000 6:41 am

I spent 8 days at the Doubletree in August and it was fine. HHonors Gold/Diamond members get free access to the health club which is nice. There are some nice clubs within walking distance too, but the same goes for the Hilton. The best part of the Doubletree is the access to the Convention Center.

Boring747 Jul 14, 2003 9:05 am

Hilton HHonors Properties in Pittsburgh

Hello! I will be in the Pittsburgh area in late August (Fri-Mon)to experience Kennywood and was wondering if anyone could provide recommendations for properties in the area.

Baze Jul 14, 2003 9:35 am

I always stay at the Hampton In in Greentree just outside Pittsburgh. In a nice wooded area right near the freeway. Nothing special about the hotel but can usually get for $79 per night. They do host a happy hour in the lobby weekday nights with beer and soda. With traffic takes about 20 minutes to get into downtown weekday mornings. Lots of fast food and a few restaurants within 5 minute drive of hotel.

Boring747 Jul 14, 2003 10:01 am

Baze-

Appreciate your prompt response. It appears to be just what I am looking for, don't plan on spending much time at the property but do like the idea of easy access to and from the frwy.

Thanks!

papergal Jul 14, 2003 2:21 pm

I usually stay at the Hilton downtown. Very nice - walking distance to the Pirates stadium (PNC Park). I get upgraded everytime. Only complaint is that showers, as I remember, had a little mold in them.

It is pretty pricey, though. I think a new Hampton has opened in Cranberry, too.

kam Jul 14, 2003 5:49 pm

I have stayed(using points) at the Hilton downtown. It is often on the point stretcher list. Very nice rooms but as in any big city the hotel was empty on a weekend. Very pricey to park in their garage. Restaurant was also very expensive. Good luck driving around Pittsburgh.

Canarsie Jul 14, 2003 6:07 pm

Heinz-sight is 20-20.

--------------

Now let's ketchup to other Hilton properties in the Pittsburgh area...

gsthome Jul 14, 2003 6:15 pm

I hope you are planning on doing some other things in the 5 days you'll in the 'Burgh besides visit Kennywood. I live in Pittsburgh so I hope I can help. There are Hampton Inns in West Mifflin and Monroeville. The West Mifflin location is closer to Kennywood than the Greentree location. The Monroeville location is about the same distance as the Greentree. The Greentree location may not be a good choice because of construction on the Ft. Pitt Bridge and Tunnel and the associated detour There's a lot of places to go for food and entertainment on the east side of the city. That is where Kennywood is. If you want more information, let me know.

Boring747 Jul 14, 2003 8:08 pm

gsthome,

It always helps to have a local who is willing to help out those of us not in the know! I appreciate your help.

I am arriving in PIT late Friday night and had planned on Kennywood either Saturday or Sunday, depending on the weather. Thought about driving to Niagara Falls and back to Pittsburgh on the other day. Want to see as much as possible and don't mind the driving. Flight back to LAX leaves on Monday morning.

Now where would you stay? Want easy access on and off highway as well as easy access to the airport.

gsthome Jul 14, 2003 9:33 pm

Since you'll be here over the weekend, the detour shouldn't cause you many problems. Just be careful and follow the signs. The bridge and tunnel under construction is the primary way in and out of the city from the western and suburbs. Since you are leaving Monday morning, it would make your trip to the airport easier if you stay in Greentree. There is also easy access to I-79, that is what you would take north to go to Niagra Falls. If you are an amusement park fan, there is a Six Flags park about 1.5 hours from PIT near Cleveland. And it would make an easier day trip than Niagra Falls. Or, you could go to Cleveland and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. If you send me your e-mail address, I can give you some more information.

HomeToPit Jul 16, 2003 12:00 pm

Kennywood is a great place! I grew up within walking distance from the park and pretty much lived there as a kid...unfortunately no time now to enjoy!

Kennywood has a website which has a lot of good information about the park:
http://www.kennywood.com

They have made arrangements with a lot of the hotels in the surrounding areas. You don't mention if your coming out to the 'burgh alone, most of the special packages include two tickets to the park:
http://www.kennywood.com/hso.cfm

Also, take a look at the calendar, the end of August is when the park is winding down and has the Fall Fantasy parade. Really cool old fashioned fun. The calendar of events is at:
http://www.kennywood.com/ev.cfm

Since you posted in the Hilton forum, I'm going to assume that you would prefer the Hilton family. I'd agree that the Greentree Hampton Inn is probably your best bet, especially for the early Monday flight. Nothing really special, but a nice Hampton.

A day trip to Niagara Falls would be long. It's about 4 hours total on I79 to Erie and then I90 to Buffalo. I drive this way almost every month and it's a very boring drive from Pittsburgh to Erie. It's no so bad from Erie to Niagra Falls, you'll be alongside the lake and if you catch the weather just right, it can be a very nice drive.

Not trying to talk you out of it but it will be a long day. Cleveland's Rock and Roll hall of fame is fun and only about two hours away.

Kennywood also has two sister parks, SandCastle, which is a water park and very close to Kennywood. The other park is Idlewild/Story Book Forest which is about an hour east of Kennywood. My favorite is Idlewilde/Storybook. It's old and full of memories. And it's in the foothills of the Allegheny mountains which is absolutely beautiful. There is info about each park on Kennywoods main webpage.

If you decide to go to Story Book Forest, there a lot of other attraction in the general area. My favorite is Fallingwater, which was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.

You can find info about the area here:
http://www2.thingstodo.com/states/PA/lh_sa.htm

Hope this info helps. Feel free to email me with any questions.