Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Beano

Originally Posted by DELee
Why Here? ..(blah, blah, blah)....
are the USA executive lounges different ?
Wow, who knew I was so wordy? (950+!)

Anyway, to answer your question (less wordy but obviously not as pithily as @kirkwoodj) in one word, yes.

I would say the following: In other parts of the world with upper end-ish hotel brands, executive and concierge lounges (and Regency Clubs, etc.) are designed into those hotels 1) because lounges are expected and 2) they are a core part of the experience and draw for their guest clientele. Additionally, the costs of operating the lounge (staffing, food & beverages, wear & tear replacement) are considered as part of the cost of running the hotel and then built into the room rates accordingly. Further, for some/many of the hotels around Asia and Australia, the owners of the hotels may see themselves and manage the lounge experience accordingly.

Unfortunately, in the United States, what is an executive lounge has evolved over time as well as what a hotel operator is willing to dedicate to a lounge in terms of space and operating cost. Also, with respect to complimentary alcoholic drinks, American corporations are both a bit puritanical as well as liability risk adverse not to mention cheap. Additionally, brand standards as to what constitutes an executive lounge have not always been clearly defined so that some hotel operators (and their staffs of bean counters and legal weasels) have seized upon doing as little as possible or, sometimes, not complying with brand standards - and not being held to account for such.

Getting back to the Executive Lounge at the Hilton Sydney, I agree with others who find it to be quite acceptable. There is a sufficiency of space and a fair number of food offerings provided during both the evening reception and breakfast. There were folks of many cultures who were a bit boorish and grabby as well as many who were quite well behaved and mannered.

David
kirkwoodj and Beano like this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Additionally, the costs of operating the lounge (staffing, food & beverages, wear & tear replacement) are considered as part of the cost of running the hotel and then built into the room rates accordingly. Further, for some/many of the hotels around Asia and Australia, the owners of the hotels may see themselves and manage the lounge experience accordingly.
I suspect at many properties in Asia/Oceania, the lounge actually MAKES money rather than costing money. As a diamond it's easy to consider the lounge as being free, but it's clear a lot of people actually pay for the privilege. At Sydney, an Exec room will cost you $100+/night extra, which is still cheaper than paying for breakfast in Glass and a few drinks of an evening at the bar if there's 2 of you. It's hard to know exactly how many people actually pay, but the Tokyo Hilton gives some idea based on how many people they used to shuffle off to the "exclusive diamond-only" lounge - it was a small percentage of the total number of people in the lounge. (Obviously not everyone wants to go to that lounge, but I sat near the entrance one night and it was less than 25% of people that even got the option, which implies that well over 50% were not diamond but actually paying for the lounge access).
earlyriser likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Aeolus
Large glass desk is gone, in its place is a nice comfy swivel lounge chair with a separate legrest and small coffee table. The desk is now a long narrow wooden table below the TV on the wall close to the window side of the room. TV is much bigger and mounted
I'm quite disappointed that the large glass desk is gone. I always use every inch of that desk, with my laptop and papers on one end, and using the other end as a table to keep the stuff that's in my pockets and the stuff that there is literally no place for in the room. Removing all that usable surface space and replacing it with another chair is not useful. Now, if they added more shelves along the wall and drawers opposite the bathroom, then it might be OK.

Originally Posted by Beano
are the USA executive lounges different ?
For a long time, Hilton and Hilton International were two separate companies, with different policies and standards. The legacy of this seems to persist. As an example, in the U.S. and Canada, Diamond guests only get limited Continental breakfast, almost always in the lounge only when there is a lounge. Typically it is just cereals, pastries, unripe fruit, gelatinous oversweet yogurt, one nasty egg dish (e.g., powdered scrambled eggs or hard-boiled eggs), and maybe one kind of greasy pork product. Evening service is typically a few cheap finger foods (e.g., frozen egg rolls) and sweets (e.g., cookies).
earlyriser likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
From what I could find out the room renovations where to start end of june so should be under way. I gather they will be doing all room types and will ask if I get the chance as I am interested in what they will do with the suites.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Yes, they generally "suck" in comparison to pretty much anywhere else in the world. I can't say for sure, but I have not encountered a Hilton or Conrad in the US that doesn't have an "honor" bar, where you are supposed to write down which drink you had during HH so they can be charged for at checkout. ...
Purely as a Data Point, the Hilton BWI had decent (for a US Exec Lounge) complimentary F&B during 'Happy Hour' when stayed there a couple of years ago. Also the breakfast was quite reasonable.

The $$$ rates were 'up there' though.

... now back to the Hilton Sydney.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I certainly hope and expect USB charging connectors to be added liberally around the rooms. The ability to charge multiple USB-connectable devices simultaneously without AU-compatible power adapters in our room at the SOTP was superior.
Getting slightly off topic here but to the best of my knowledge (and I spent some time researching this for a customer recently) there is no AS/NZ electrical certified wall socket of good quality that supports USB-C PD with a minimum 60W PD as well as a USB-A port available on the market in Australia or New Zealand. USB-A wall sockets are a waste of time these days as something that simply says "2.4A output" will not fast charge the majority of devices at anything other than slow trickle speeds (lacks QC3.0 or any fast charging standard) and USB-A is incapable of charging a laptop or tablet that requires type C PD support. Having a USB-C only port is not much use as some people (many iPhone users as an example) only carry a USB-A to Lightning cable even though you can't fast charge an iPhone at max speed unless you have a USB-C to Lightning cable.

Like USB-A ports on planes they're a waste and I never ever use any of the USB sockets in hotels or planes and regard them simply as a gimmick simply because they're useless when it comes to charging most devices. I always carry my multi port charger with me as I can then charge my laptop, phone, headphones and Bluetooth transmitter (for the plane) all at the same time and all at maximum speed. Air New Zealand have the new Panasonic IFE on their A320neo/A321neo aircraft that also has dual USB-A/USB-C and supports USB-C PD profiles up to 20V (but is only limited to 27W maximum) that is great because it actually allows you to charge a phone on the plane. On a USB-A port on a plane you'll be lucky to see 500mA on a good day which can mean around 7 hours to fully charge a phone vs 90 mins with USB-C PD.

When we start seeing more in wall USB-C chargers with decent PD support hitting the market it will be great... Apple finally adoping USB-C oh phones will also help greatly as it'll help USB-A die.
Beano likes this.

Last edited by sbiddle; Jul 4, 2019 at 2:03 pm
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by docbert
I suspect at many properties in Asia/Oceania, the lounge actually MAKES money rather than costing money. As a diamond it's easy to consider the lounge as being free, but it's clear a lot of people actually pay for the privilege. At Sydney, an Exec room will cost you $100+/night extra, which is still cheaper than paying for breakfast in Glass and a few drinks of an evening at the bar if there's 2 of you. It's hard to know exactly how many people actually pay, but the Tokyo Hilton gives some idea based on how many people they used to shuffle off to the "exclusive diamond-only" lounge - it was a small percentage of the total number of people in the lounge. (Obviously not everyone wants to go to that lounge, but I sat near the entrance one night and it was less than 25% of people that even got the option, which implies that well over 50% were not diamond but actually paying for the lounge access).
Some simple math here to calculate whether paying for Executive Lounge access (extra A$100 per night) is worth it:
1. They charge like A$25 per room per night for breakfast at glass. I guess you're talking about the walk-in rate, which is much higher.
2. You've still got A$75 for drinks at glass or Marble Bar, and that amounts to a lot of drinks at Marble Bar or glass (which is overpriced by Sydney standards)

Anyway, I had some conversation with some guests who paid for the EL access, they said EL isn't worth it at all at the price point.

Last edited by antebellum; Jul 5, 2019 at 2:59 am
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by antebellum
1. They charge like A$25 per room per night for breakfast at glass. I guess you're talking about the walk-in rate, which is much higher.
While on some specific dates, and specific rate plans the difference between a breakfast and non-breakfast rate is indeed A$25. More often than not the difference is around A$50-75... That makes the happy-hour quite reasonable, of you manage to squeeze at least 2-3 drinks per person or of it.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:17 am

More updates on the renovation, it has begun, starting on 20th floor. Renovation will take roughly 2 weeks per floor and they will be renovating all room types on the floor.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:48 am

More updates on the renovation, it has begun, starting on 20th floor. Renovation will take roughly 2 weeks per floor and they will be renovating all room types on the floor.
Fantastic! Thanks for the update.

On another note related to this hotel, does anyone remember the old rooftop swimming pool area (from memory, level 18, and up a few steps)? Or the old Pitt street arcade? I am trying really hard to picture it, and would love to hear if anyone can remember it. I stayed here a lot as a kid. I can remember swimming underneath the Sydney Tower as a 6ish year old while my dad stayed there for business.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:53 am

Not sure if you mentioned that they will be finally changing the night blinds to be automatic, so no longer having to hold down the switch. Which will be nice for rooms with 2 sets of switches.
Lately I have been around level 30 so won't take long to reach these rooms so looking forward to see what they do with them. Thankfully the timber floors are staying.
bl010203 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ozfe1
Fantastic! Thanks for the update.

On another note related to this hotel, does anyone remember the old rooftop swimming pool area (from memory, level 18, and up a few steps)? Or the old Pitt street arcade? I am trying really hard to picture it, and would love to hear if anyone can remember it. I stayed here a lot as a kid. I can remember swimming underneath the Sydney Tower as a 6ish year old while my dad stayed there for business.
I've only been staying for maybe 20 years, so it was before my time. What is in that space now? Zeta bar?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
I've only been staying for maybe 20 years, so it was before my time. What is in that space now? Zeta bar?
Nope I think the Zeta bar is around level 4. I think the old pool has been filled in, as there is now an indoor pool downstairs.

I vaguely remember getting out of the lift at level 18 (it wasn't nicely done up), and walking up some steps to the outdoor pool/spa area

​​​​​​​
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by ozztraveller
Not sure if you mentioned that they will be finally changing the night blinds to be automatic, so no longer having to hold down the switch.
But that’s what turn down service is for To be honest I couldn’t remember but there were some additional IT stuff that weren’t quite set up in that room that would be available in the renovated rooms as well. Anyway, bad news for those longing for king suites, it will get even harder to get post reno as 4 of them are going, and converted into additional standard rooms.

Last edited by Aeolus; Jul 17, 2019 at 6:12 am
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:07 pm

But that’s what turn down service is for To be honest I couldn’t remember but there were some additional IT stuff that weren’t quite set up in that room that would be available in the renovated rooms as well. Anyway, bad news for those longing for king suites, it will get even harder to get post reno as 4 of them are going, and converted into additional standard rooms.
I have only ever had one king suite upgrade so won't miss them, plus I prefer the open room design of the relax. suite.
kirkwoodj and earlyriser like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.