Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Between the Hilton and the Curio, I just pick the one with the better rate

Both are good, different vibe for sure
which one has got better breakfast?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Ausriver
Hilton much better. Many more choices of cuisine, great benefit
earlyriser likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Ausriver
The Hilton is a buffet while the Curio is more of a order off a menu + small buffet.

Given my usual breakfast routine, it is about the same for me.

To me...for what I use it for (business) I am happy with both hotels.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by mattya9

Booked the base room with a king bed as it was cheapest.
There is zero chance of a suite upgrade from a cheap room. This hotel has an unbelievably high occupancy rate and huge numbers of VIP guests.

Standard upgrade for a Diamond from a base room is to the Exec floors or to corner rooms on other floors (since you get Exec lounge access anyway). On occasion I've received a Relaxation Room which is very nice. In line with the suite upgrade, do not expect one of these for a multi night stay,
moa999, kirkwoodj and mattya9 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
And certainly from my experience they seem to process upgrades based on the paid rate.

On sub-A$200 rates I think I've only ever received an Exec or Deluxe/Deluxe Plus (certainly if booked as a Guestroom not GuestroomPlus)

Slightly higher I've sometime received the Relaxation Room (which is a double room and listed by the hotel as a suite which I think is fair enough - https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/new-south-wales/hilton-sydney-SYDHITW/accommodations/suites.html)
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999
The Hilton is a buffet while the Curio is more of a order off a menu + small buffet.
Curio stopped the breakfast menu for a few months now. Anyway due to negative feedback, they will bring it back in a few weeks’ time. No nibbles with the drinks voucher, however, they have upgraded their complementary fridge offerings which is great.

kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Originally Posted by moa999
And certainly from my experience they seem to process upgrades based on the paid rate.

On sub-A$200 rates I think I've only ever received an Exec or Deluxe/Deluxe Plus (certainly if booked as a Guestroom not GuestroomPlus)

Slightly higher I've sometime received the Relaxation Room (which is a double room and listed by the hotel as a suite which I think is fair enough - https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/ne...ns/suites.html)
I received a relaxation room two days ago despite only paying $192. May have been my 20th stay though. I figured I was due for an upgrade and there it was.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:08 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I'm going to be more scathing and say this property has nothing but contempt for Diamonds. An Australian based Frequent Flyer group actually refer to anyone staying at the Hilton as having Stockholm Syndrome because no-one, including those with lengthy stay history, receives a suite without fighting with front desk or involving the Diamond Line.

Of course they do sell suites, but the reality is they do not seem to upgrade Diamonds, even on higher room types to suites.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I'm going to be more scathing and say this property has nothing but contempt for Diamonds. An Australian based Frequent Flyer group actually refer to anyone staying at the Hilton as having Stockholm Syndrome because no-one, including those with lengthy stay history, receives a suite without fighting with front desk or involving the Diamond Line.

Of course they do sell suites, but the reality is they do not seem to upgrade Diamonds, even on higher room types to suites.
That is not true. I have been upgraded to its junior suite few weeks ago, without asking for it. It did show as in the room type on the app hours before I check in so it was an automatic upgrade done at the hotel office.
Room rate was around $200. Over my around 20 stays as Diamond at this hotel, I think I have been upgraded to relaxation room twice or three time, including once I pushed and front desk was happy to give me a relaxation if I can wait until 3:30pm. My stay were mostly cheap $200 ones (I always book last minute), guess meaning the hotel was running a low occupancy.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:26 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I was referring to Relaxtion or King Suites.

If you are grateful for a Junior Suite, that is certainly your choice, but I would not be.

My reference point is also backed up by a Senior Hilton Exec in Sydney who confirmed they don’t upgrade to full suites because they can get away with it.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I was referring to Relaxtion or King Suites.

If you are grateful for a Junior Suite, that is certainly your choice, but I would not be.

My reference point is also backed up by a Senior Hilton Exec in Sydney who confirmed they don’t upgrade to full suites because they can get away with it.
I believe once you have exceeded a certain amount of stays or marked a vip, not only do you get the suites but they will also try to put you in the exact same room. I know that because I’m on of those lucky ones and I know of another person who gets the same.
Also, the relaxation suites are actually really popular on the weekends so if you’re staying over the weekend, it’ll be almost impossible getting one.
kirkwoodj likes this.

Last edited by Aeolus; Apr 7, 2019 at 2:55 pm
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by sbiddle
There is zero chance of a suite upgrade from a cheap room. This hotel has an unbelievably high occupancy rate and huge numbers of VIP guests.

Standard upgrade for a Diamond from a base room is to the Exec floors or to corner rooms on other floors (since you get Exec lounge access anyway). On occasion I've received a Relaxation Room which is very nice. In line with the suite upgrade, do not expect one of these for a multi night stay,
A relaxation room would be nice! Even an upgrade to an Executive room or corner room, as you mentioned, would be great. Any idea if I would have a chance at getting one of those for the stay?

OPS
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Can anyone comment on the Zeta rooftop bar compared to the Marble bar? Going to be there on business next week and would like to know pros/cons for a group of about 12-15 people? Do they have tables or seating areas that can accommodate such a large group? Any happy hour specials, etc.?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by groovbusta
Can anyone comment on the Zeta rooftop bar compared to the Marble bar? Going to be there on business next week and would like to know pros/cons for a group of about 12-15 people? Do they have tables or seating areas that can accommodate such a large group? Any happy hour specials, etc.?
Given these questions, you might give the hotel and the bar(s) a call and ask them directly.

David
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by groovbusta
Marble bar is beautiful and definitely worth having a look if the people you are with have never been there before. The cons would be it’s small and if you want seating for 15, you’ll need to reserve a section and have them reconfigure the seating.
Zeta is much bigger and existing configuration should easily able to host 12-15. Zeta is not on the rooftop by the way, it’s on the 2nd floor but there’s a balcony section overlooking QVB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.