Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Red259
I was looking to use points at this property for a trip in April but on a 4 night stay every single night has a different point requirement. Is it a situation where I should book it ahead of time on points because the price in points will only go up? If I book it now on points and the price in points does go down in the future can I just cancel and rebook at that time?
I would book it now, and keep checking every day as the points cost for the same dates does change a lot. You can cancel and rebook right up until the day before, I believe. You can also change the rate without cancelling and rebooking: log in, view the reservation, and select the change option for the room choice, it should show the current options, including then-current point costs.

Be careful when you book a multi-night stay where the different nights have different costs. Often, the Hilton web site charges all nights at the highest cost. Sometimes it correctly charges different per-night rates. If it books at a higher rate, you can always create multiple one-night reservations. When you check in the front desk can merge them all.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by moa999
You can also get the Opal card at the train station itself (with minimum topup of $35 which basically covers a return - put in place to stop a rort of putting cards into negative balance - something that will stop at the airport in early Jan)
However as of early December 2018, if only wanting to take the train - you can just tap on and off with any contactless Mastercard, Visa or Amex (although recognise some US banks are a bit behind on this front) for the same price as a trip using Opal.

Still worth getting the Opal if you plan on taking buses in Sydney (contactless rollout still a few months away) as there are a few more transfer and weekly cap benefits available.

Airport gate fee is a function of funding. When built in the late 90s prior to the Olympics the two airport station (and two regular stations) were privately funded under a 30-year concession. Some talk of it being reduced, but the line itself is at capacity at peak periods so there is some reluctance to induce more demand. (Can be avoided if you've got a bit of time by taking the 400 or 420 bus to Mascot / Rockdale stations instead and transferring to train)

As for the lounges over holiday period - always packed, the ratio of leisure - business travellers changes, so the usage of lounges increases substantially, even if the same number of rooms that notionally have access.
Definitely recommended to get to the lounge before 6 and stake out a table, or after 7 when the rush subsides somewhat.
I’m arriving in Sydney on 1/24 and will only be there until 1/26. I would probably take a few bus rides, in addition to the train to & from the airport. I’m debating whether to try to squeeze by with the $35 top up or to be on the safe side, do a $50 top up. Any suggestions?
How long, approximately, is the train ride from the airport to the stop near the Hilton?
Also, as mentioned above, I’m going to try out the Sheraton Hyde Park. It seems like the two hotels are relatively close. If I take a bus from the Hilton to the Sheraton, which bus # and which stop would I get off?

Thanks to all of you for the useful help that you’ve given so far.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by anabolism
I would book it now, and keep checking every day as the points cost for the same dates does change a lot. You can cancel and rebook right up until the day before, I believe. You can also change the rate without cancelling and rebooking: log in, view the reservation, and select the change option for the room choice, it should show the current options, including then-current point costs.

Be careful when you book a multi-night stay where the different nights have different costs. Often, the Hilton web site charges all nights at the highest cost. Sometimes it correctly charges different per-night rates. If it books at a higher rate, you can always create multiple one-night reservations. When you check in the front desk can merge them all.
Thank you for the tips. I may book individual one night reservations and then just monitor it.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
It is worth noting that in my experience prices change very frequently both up and down. I normally stay here a few times per year and never book non refundable rates because it's pretty common to see prices drop closer to the time - even if it's only by $20.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle
It is worth noting that in my experience prices change very frequently both up and down. I normally stay here a few times per year and never book non refundable rates because it's pretty common to see prices drop closer to the time - even if it's only by $20.
Current sale rate is $164 if you are lucky to need those days which is as cheap as it gets with a $30 saving from the usual $195 rate which as available on the odd night.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I’m debating whether to try to squeeze by with the $35 top up or to be on the safe side, do a $50 top up. Any suggestions?
How long, approximately, is the train ride from the airport to the stop near the Hilton?
Also, as mentioned above, I’m going to try out the Sheraton Hyde Park. It seems like the two hotels are relatively close. If I take a bus from the Hilton to the Sheraton, which bus # and which stop would I get off?
You can always top-up afterwards at countless locations around the city - minimum top-up is $10.

Sydney Airport to St James is ~15 minutes (maybe a minute or two less from domestic, a minute or two more from International). It's a direct link - no need to change trains. On the return it's better to go to Town Hall which is a similar time, and again a straight shot through to the airport.

The Hilton and the Sheraton are maybe 150 feet apart, although the walk between them would a few hundred yards as you need to go around the block. No need for a bus...
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
You can always top-up afterwards at countless locations around the city - minimum top-up is $10.

Sydney Airport to St James is ~15 minutes (maybe a minute or two less from domestic, a minute or two more from International). It's a direct link - no need to change trains. On the return it's better to go to Town Hall which is a similar time, and again a straight shot through to the airport.

The Hilton and the Sheraton are maybe 150 feet apart, although the walk between them would a few hundred yards as you need to go around the block. No need for a bus...
Well, that certainly is convenient! Thanks for the additional information. Now I’m off to the Australia Forum for shopping and restaurant recommendations. Thank you to all who have provided such great help. I appreciate it very much and looking forward to my first visit to Sydney.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:09 pm

I’m arriving in Sydney on 1/24 and will only be there until 1/26. I would probably take a few bus rides, in addition to the train to & from the airport. I’m debating whether to try to squeeze by with the $35 top up or to be on the safe side, do a $50 top up. Any suggestions?
You can download the (free) Opal app for your phone or tablet. It can calculate routes between places and show the prices, so you can know if you will need to top-off or not. The app can also show the card balance if you forget it (it is shown when you tap off a train or bus). At the Hilton, the Woolworth's is super close (it's at Town Hall station) and provides top-off.

If you are arriving with luggage and don't want to walk further than necessary, take the train all the way to Town Hall station, but it does take a long time because you have to go all around the city loop. It always feels like it takes forever, but probably only 30 minutes in reality.

By the way, the train cars have a few seats on the level you enter, with most seats on the lower and upper levels. If you don't mind the stairs, go up or down. You'll get better views upstairs. If you'd rather not mess with the stairs, take one of the seats on the entrance level.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
... will only be there until 1/26.
I only just noticed the date you're leaving. In case you're not aware, Jan 26 is a public holiday in Australia, and a pretty major one in Sydney - in particular on and around the harbour.

Unless you're leaving late in the day you'll probably miss most of the goings on, but in particular keep in mind that trains may be running to slightly different schedules. It's a weekend anyway (holidays normally use the weekend/sunday schedules), but given the number of people headed into the city they may be running off-schedule - although I wouldn't expect too much impact.

If there's any way you can extent your stay an extra night then I'd recommend it. But yes, probably better moved over to the Australia (Oceania) forum.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold

Doing the loop to Town Hall its about 27 minutes (stay on the upper deck and look to the right at the Circular Quay Stop) or 18mins to St. James which is 2-3 blocks away. Only shave a few minutes by switching trains at Central, so not worth it.
I'd go the Opal card and $50 topup then.. Main reason is as a tourist I'd definitely recommend the ferry trip to Manly as a great opportunity to see the Harbour, and see Manly Beach. Manly ferry is about $7.50 each way. Or Taronga Zoo if thats more your thing.
Definitely walkable Hilton to Sheraton

Sydney transport is well mapped on Google Maps and the Citymapper App... locals will often use Tripview or the Opal Travel app.
kirkwoodj likes this.

Last edited by moa999; Jan 8, 2019 at 6:06 am
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by aztimm
I'm planning a trip to Sydney (Australia this time ) in October, and I'm finding the rates extremely high. I know there's still time, and hopefully the rates will go down. For now, I booked a fully refundable (24 hours notice), "KING HILTON DELUXE ROOM, 30 m˛/323sq.ft, " for A$330 with the AARP rate. The Honors MVP rate doesn't seem to work here
While I'm certainly hoping that the rates will go down, I figured I could snag this now, just in case they go up.
I saw this thread bubble up and realized that I never provided an update.

The rates never came down below the A$330 level that I originally booked at. I checked about every 2 weeks, and a bit more often as the trip got closer.

We ended up booking an Airbnb near Kings Cross that was also refundable (minus service fees), so we had our choice between the two. I had seen on some other Airbnb reviews that reservations were canceled by the owner close in, so I kept the Hilton booking as a backup, just in case anything happened.
The Hilton bookings had a 24-hour cancel, and that's about when I cancelled. I remember setting reminders on my phone to remind me to do so. We ended up having 2 Hilton reservations, one for the first night only, then one for the remainder. And I kept both until 24 hours, the second in case after we would arrive at the Airbnb that we had another place to stay if it was a dump.

The Airbnb was about a 5 minute walk from the Kings Cross station. It had 2 bedrooms, 2-1/2 bathrooms, washer/dryer, a full kitchen, living room, dining room, 2 patios (it was 2 stories, one patio upstairs, one down). We did have to fend for ourselves for breakfast, but there was a supermarket close to the station. The area seemed nice enough, tons of local restaurants, as well as all the usual fast food. We brought in take-out food for dinner several times, and it was nice having a proper place to sit and enjoy (and a full fridge to store the leftovers). We did several loads of laundry when we first arrived (had been traveling for 10 days), and almost a load a day after that. We could start it, move when we went back, then fold at our convenience. Having the 2nd bedroom gave us a place to store our bags. Plus there were tons of closets, so we were actually able to unpack. There seemed to be a few other Airbnb's in the building, but there were also people who lived there; I remember on the weekend seeing all the people in the elevator with dogs (going or coming from walks). It really gave a whole different perspective on being in Sydney.

The cost was about US$300/night, and worth every penny.

There was actually a small gym, with a few treadmills, an eliptical. There was a door person (sometimes it was a woman), and that person did the check-in/out. When we were coming in with bags, they would help with the door and call the elevator for us.

I didn't miss the 25m pool at the Hilton at all...as there was a 50m pool about a 15-minute walk away (Andrew Boy Charlton). Great pool, outside, and I think the fee was A$5.40. Most of the times I swam there I had my own lane (for anyone who swims, having your own 50m lane is like winning the lottery). I did visit Icebergs and North Sydney pools also.

Overall, this episode taught me a lesson. Sometimes being comfortable while traveling is more important than earning points and having status.
I'm looking at upcoming travel to the Phoenix area. I looked at the local Hilton properties (there are tons), and rates are at least $130/night for a plain Hampton Inn. Airbnb has 2-bed/2-bath, kitchen, living room, washer/dryer, etc. units starting at $80/night. I think my days of staying mostly at Hilton properties--or hotels at all--are coming to an end.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
You can download the (free) Opal app for your phone or tablet. It can calculate routes between places and show the prices, so you can know if you will need to top-off or not. The app can also show the card balance if you forget it (it is shown when you tap off a train or bus). At the Hilton, the Woolworth's is super close (it's at Town Hall station) and provides top-off.

If you are arriving with luggage and don't want to walk further than necessary, take the train all the way to Town Hall station, but it does take a long time because you have to go all around the city loop. It always feels like it takes forever, but probably only 30 minutes in reality.

By the way, the train cars have a few seats on the level you enter, with most seats on the lower and upper levels. If you don't mind the stairs, go up or down. You'll get better views upstairs. If you'd rather not mess with the stairs, take one of the seats on the entrance level.
I’ll only have one carryon rollaboard, so it shouldn’t be much of a problem. I do have a new AMEX which I could use, but since I plan on using a few buses, it probably makes more sense just to get an Opal card.

Originally Posted by docbert
I only just noticed the date you're leaving. In case you're not aware, Jan 26 is a public holiday in Australia, and a pretty major one in Sydney - in particular on and around the harbour.

Unless you're leaving late in the day you'll probably miss most of the goings on, but in particular keep in mind that trains may be running to slightly different schedules. It's a weekend anyway (holidays normally use the weekend/sunday schedules), but given the number of people headed into the city they may be running off-schedule - although I wouldn't expect too much impact.

If there's any way you can extent your stay an extra night then I'd recommend it. But yes, probably better moved over to the Australia (Oceania) forum.
Unfortunately, no way to extend the trip. I think my flight out is around 11:00 AM on Saturday morning. I think that I read somewhere that it is highly recommended to get to SYD at least 3 hours before your flight because of immigration and security. That means it’ll be a relatively early departure from the hotel. A half hour for the train ride plus 3 hours at the airport - YIKES!

Originally Posted by moa999
Doing the loop to Town Hall its about 27 minutes (stay on the upper deck and look to the right at the Circular Quay Stop) or 18mins to St. James which is 2-3 blocks away. Only shave a few minutes by switching trains at Central, so not worth it.
I'd go the Opal card and $50 topup then.. Main reason is as a tourist I'd definitely recommend the ferry trip to Manly as a great opportunity to see the Harbour, and see Manly Beach. Manly ferry is about $7.50 each way. Or Taronga Zoo if thats more your thing.
Definitely walkable Hilton to Sheraton

Sydney transport is well mapped on Google Maps and the Citymapper App... locals will often use Tripview or the Opal Travel app.
Is Manly a whole day trip? As an FYI, I’m not really a beach goer. I wouldn’t mind going if there was other things to do, although just the ferry ride might be worth it. I guess the weather would be a deciding factor, also.

Y’all are being really helpful. I appreciate it.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:12 pm

I think that I read somewhere that it is highly recommended to get to SYD at least 3 hours before your flight because of immigration and security. That means it’ll be a relatively early departure from the hotel. A half hour for the train ride plus 3 hours at the airport - YIKES!
Sydney has e-gates for departures that are usable by people with biometric passports (those with a chip) from many countries. International security is stricter than domestic security in Australia, but in my experience it has never been too long. I don't think three hours is necessary unless you have status and want to hang in a lounge.

Is Manly a whole day trip? As an FYI, I’m not really a beach goer. I wouldn’t mind going if there was other things to do, although just the ferry ride might be worth it. I guess the weather would be a deciding factor, also.
It's about a half hour ferry ride each way, and aside from the beach there is a shopping area and plenty of people watching. If you aren't a beach person but the weather is decent then take the ferry there, walk around a bit, look at the beach (at the edge of the beach there is grass and trees), then head back. So maybe two hours total, more if you want to eat something there? You can check the ferry schedule ahead of time or in the Opal app, so you don't have to waste time waiting for a ferry.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I agree with anabolism, you should consider the ferry trip to Manly, if you have not done this before and there is good weather. You will get great photos of the opera house and bridge from the ferry. There are several cafes at Manly and it is pleasant to walk along the beach.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:49 pm

Manly seems like a great place to spend a few hours and have lunch. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.