Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by docbert
It appears Hilton has literally wiped Sydney off the map...

Weird bug, but you can just pick Sydney airport or opera house or harbor bridge or....
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by anabolism
Weird bug, but you can just pick Sydney airport or opera house or harbor bridge or....
Yeah, any of the landmarks (including the airports) work fine, as does Pyrmont which is the Suburb next to what is officially "Sydney" (ie, the CBD area). Just odd that Sydney itself has disappeared from the list, and just as odd that "Opera de Sydney, Australia" has appeared on it...
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by turtlemichael
On my last visit (last month) they had changed it so that you needed a keycard to access the Executive Lounge floor via the Lift. I had checked in at the front desk so it did not worry me. Getting a staff member to provide access might be a real hassle even if they will do it.
When I arrived for checkin a couple weeks ago, there was a big queue at front desk. I went to the porter desk, and they quickly & gladly walked over to the lift with me and tapped the sensor so that I could check in at the EL. No worries.
turtlemichael likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by docbert
Yeah, any of the landmarks (including the airports) work fine, as does Pyrmont which is the Suburb next to what is officially "Sydney" (ie, the CBD area). Just odd that Sydney itself has disappeared from the list, and just as odd that "Opera de Sydney, Australia" has appeared on it...
I book many stays a year here and noticed it get worse lately to the point I just use the link to book again at this hotel as I found Sydney start to disappear off the list when using the search.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj

When I arrived for checkin a couple weeks ago, there was a big queue at front desk. I went to the porter desk, and they quickly & gladly walked over to the lift with me and tapped the sensor so that I could check in at the EL. No worries.
I always used the exec lounge for check in whenever I had a relax room upgrade or above showing. But lately I have just used the front desk and on a few occasions been further upgraded so the lift thing has worked in my favour.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ozztraveller
I book many stays a year here and noticed it get worse lately to the point I just use the link to book again at this hotel as I found Sydney start to disappear off the list when using the search.
Still better than the Marriott/Starwood apps. You get all sorts of garbage in them.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
For everyone staying at this property, look careful at the points you earn.

I had it in December and again a few weeks back where reservations were combined but only the amount of the last reservation earned points, the added amount on the invoice from the adjacent reservation did not earn anything.

It seems a consistent failure that only gets corrected if you write in. I am sure they save a lot on members that don’t check their balance based on their spend.

Globalist
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by Globalist
For everyone staying at this property, look careful at the points you earn.

I had it in December and again a few weeks back where reservations were combined but only the amount of the last reservation earned points, the added amount on the invoice from the adjacent reservation did not earn anything.

It seems a consistent failure that only gets corrected if you write in. I am sure they save a lot on members that don’t check their balance based on their spend.

Globalist
I've found that issue is not exclusive to Sydney Hilton. I've had it happen there but also at other hotels - about one in two stays in fact. It can be a shortfall of points and/or nights. I think it comes down to how the hotel manages the two folios into one. Your message is correct - always check.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by turtlemichael
I've found that issue is not exclusive to Sydney Hilton. I've had it happen there but also at other hotels - about one in two stays in fact. It can be a shortfall of points and/or nights. I think it comes down to how the hotel manages the two folios into one. Your message is correct - always check.
I feel this is a staff issue in that some hotels I use had no previous issues but suddenly stays would not credit.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:05 pm

How convenient is public transportation (bus/subway) to/from the airport (SYD) from the Hilton? I’m traveling with one carryon rollaboard.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
How convenient is public transportation (bus/subway) to/from the airport (SYD) from the Hilton? I’m traveling with one carryon rollaboard.
It's easy, but takes a long time. You get on the train at the airport and ride it all the way to Town Hall, which is half a block from the Hilton. You can buy a one-way or round-trip ticket at the airport, but be aware that the Domestic and International terminals are different stops with different fares, so, e.g., a round-trip from the Domestic terminal won't be enough to get back to the International terminal from town. Or, buy an Opal card and use it for the train to the Hilton plus riding trains and busses around Sydney, then the train back to the Airport.

At Town Hall, easiest is to walk towards the Queen Victoria Building, then after exiting the station keep to the right (the Queen Victoria Building will be to the left). There is a New Zealand Naturals ice cream stall right there. Keep walking, staying to the right, and take the escalator up to street level. The Hilton is next door.

Last edited by anabolism; Dec 25, 2018 at 4:06 pm Reason: Fix typo
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Almost right on top of Town Hall station, and you can stay inside/underground almost the entire way between them if the weather is crook. Super easy, will do it with my larger bag later today! Plenty of lifts, escalators as well.

Last edited by kirkwoodj; Dec 25, 2018 at 3:22 pm Reason: addendum
Old Dec 25, 2018, 4:02 pm

The hotel is basically on top of Town Hall station, so very convenient. If you don't want to ride all the way around the city circle, which takes about 15 minutes, you could either change trains at Central and get one going straight to Town Hall or hop of at Museum or St James stations from where it's about a 10 minute walk to the Hilton.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Be aware that for the last couple of days the escalator at Town Hall station from the concourse to ground level has been out of operation. The options are the stairs (no fun with heavy bags) or turn round and walk back to take the lift to street level. Of course, it may also be operating now.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Almost right on top of Town Hall station, and you can stay inside/underground almost the entire way between them if the weather is crook. Super easy, will do it with my larger bag later today! Plenty of lifts, escalators as well.
I will take the easy option and use a car when I arrive tomorrow night. Hope the lounge is not too crowded tonight and if you have not been there for a few weeks the new Lounge Manager may be working. I gave him a bit of a warning what to expect but he used to work at a golf course so may find the crowd mellow in comparison.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.