Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:30 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Yes, sadly Hilton were stuck with the tiny "Archer View" vertical slit windows when they did the re-model, and Council would not allow them to be made larger and alter the exterior facade. Even the lounge has them, and they are tiny compared to how they would be done today on a new build.

Got to see someone else has actually stayed at the high floor balcony Suites at Sheraton On The Park. Nothing at Sydney Hilton can come close of course, as they are surrounded by high rise there. That is a self evident fact, and anyone who can't fathom that, really should not be making absurd sweeping comments if they have not stayed there.
Doesn't even need to be a Terrace Suites. Rooms and Executive Suites from Level 15 up have Harbour views!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:11 am

Yes, sadly Hilton were stuck with the tiny "Archer View" vertical slit windows when they did the re-model, and Council would not allow them to be made larger and alter the exterior facade. Even the lounge has them, and they are tiny compared to how they would be done today on a new build.

Got to see someone else has actually stayed at the high floor balcony Suites at Sheraton On The Park. Nothing at Sydney Hilton can come close of course, as they are surrounded by high rise there. That is a self evident fact, and anyone who can't fathom that, really should not be making absurd sweeping comments if they have not stayed there.
I stayed in an executive suite using an SNA. If you're saying why don't you stay in a terrace suite which is rare, how about compare that to a Master King Suite. Yes, Hilton surrounded by high rise, because you know. Its in the centre of the CBD??

​​​​​View is only a single factor of a hotel stay, and its very subjective. I live in Sydney, and personally do not care about a view of the park. In fact the only thing the SOTP people can keep blabbing on about is view this, view that.

Not everyone values a view as the number one priority. I mean even when talking about a pool its all about the view again and not the pool itself. Like geez, there is more to a hotel than a view. The views at Hilton aren't even bad when you're facing Pitt St. There is a huge window next to the Spa Bath overlooking the city, which is quite beautiful subjectively. For me, and as a Sydney sider, looking at some grass doesn't do it for me.

People really getting worked up over someone else's opinion, lol.

personally, this hotel has some of the best spa bath models worldwide. And I've did all the Vegas trips etc. All the jacuzzis there are tiny and depressing. Toilet unit and shower are 100x better at Hilton. Gotta love me them spabaths and bathrooms. Love the layout of the relaxation rooms and suites too, way "brighter" decor wise and beautiful looking than the bland suites at SOTP

m0hamed is a hard to please guest.. He received a relaxation suite upgrade on his very first stay despite 100+ diamonds per night and was not grateful about it at all. Also says there is no natural light but his photos are full of natural light..

even complained about the lounge despite there being king prawns on the night he went. Sheesh...

​​​​​
​​

Last edited by mingzie; Sep 5, 2018 at 5:24 am
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:25 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
And my spa bath was broken so clearly our experiences differ greatly.

I'm beginning to think you didn't request a late checkout at the SOTP now which is why housekeeping kept calling and entered the room.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
And my spa bath was broken so clearly our experiences differ greatly.

I'm beginning to think you didn't request a late checkout at the SOTP now which is why housekeeping kept calling and entered the room.
​​​​​​
yes, and technical issues will occur. You didn't even mention it to the staff so they would have a chance to compensate you. The engineer also would have fixed it in 2 minutes. I have always been compensated well if there is a technical issue. They don't differ greatly. I've had a spa bath broken too. Engineer fixed in 30 sec, compensated all movies free and had a blast.
​​​​

With SOTP, I was given a 4pm late checkout on check in. To further the sour taste, I've just been incorrectly charged the entire minibar (I assume of the previous guest). Hotel is not even helping me with the issue and saying they'll call back. I've lodged a Marriott complaint to SOTP. I can show you the lodgement if you want, cos you seem to think anyone with different experience Is a liar lol..
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I've stayed at both the Hilton and the Sheraton on the Park, alone and with others. At the Hilton I usually get the standard "Executive" rooms which are well laid out but TINY and not place to put things. I like to unpack, and the Hilton only has two drawers so not enough space. I also sometimes do stretches on a towel on the floor, and finding space is a challenge at the Hilton.

Despite the Hilton rooms being too small and not enough storage, I prefer to stay there rather than the SotP. I swim laps, and having an actual 25 meter pool with lane dividers is wonderful! The SotP pool is a typical hotel pool: only suitable for people to sit and stew in.

I find breakfast at either Glass or Feast to be fine. Years ago, Glass had much better offerings, including some local yogurt that was divine! Now, I find them comparable but of course with differences. My spouse prefers Feast, but we eat different stuff.

I agree with mingzie that the Hilton mattresses are much better. So much better. Years ago, Hilton had atrocious mattresses, but that's been fixed now.

Originally Posted by m0hamed
What a bizarre review. The windows at the Hilton are tiny and the rooms lack natural light.

The Exec Suites at the SOTP have huge windows and the from Level 15 upwards have views of the Harbour Heads.

The Hilton indoor, windowless pool in the third party gym is horrid in comparison with SOTP pool on the rooftop that overlooks the City with Harbour Views.
I've never head a problem with natural light in the Hilton. Are you sure you raised the shades? They are built in to the windows so you need to use the switch by the bed. I find they work better when closed than the curtains at the SotP. I've had larger mini-suites at the SotP, but never a fancy park view. I usually have a view of an industrial building's ventilation shaft.

Neither is there Lounge versus Lounge parity. No contest. SOTP has one of thebest views in the world. Sit outside on a nice evening, and NIRVANA.
People tend to smoke outside, so I stay indoors. It does look like it would be nice.

Originally Posted by mingzie
you can also walk up to the fridge at Hilton Sydney. You are paying a premium price at Sheraton and you are not even allowed to open the fridge, L O L. It is guarded.. that's not a good thing... Overbearing service is not a good thing..
At the Hilton exec lounge, it depends on the time of day. During evening happy hour, there is staff manning the bar and you need to ask for what you want. At other times you can just walk up to the fridge and grab it, which is convenient. I agree that having staff hover around you and insist they fetch your bottle of water for you at the SotP is annoying.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by anabolism
I've stayed at both the Hilton and the Sheraton on the Park, alone and with others. At the Hilton I usually get the standard "Executive" rooms which are well laid out but TINY and not place to put things. I like to unpack, and the Hilton only has two drawers so not enough space. I also sometimes do stretches on a towel on the floor, and finding space is a challenge at the Hilton.

Despite the Hilton rooms being too small and not enough storage, I prefer to stay there rather than the SotP. I swim laps, and having an actual 25 meter pool with lane dividers is wonderful! The SotP pool is a typical hotel pool: only suitable for people to sit and stew in.

I find breakfast at either Glass or Feast to be fine. Years ago, Glass had much better offerings, including some local yogurt that was divine! Now, I find them comparable but of course with differences. My spouse prefers Feast, but we eat different stuff.

I agree with mingzie that the Hilton mattresses are much better. So much better. Years ago, Hilton had atrocious mattresses, but that's been fixed now.

I've never head a problem with natural light in the Hilton. Are you sure you raised the shades? They are built in to the windows so you need to use the switch by the bed. I find they work better when closed than the curtains at the SotP. I've had larger mini-suites at the SotP, but never a fancy park view. I usually have a view of an industrial building's ventilation shaft.

People tend to smoke outside, so I stay indoors. It does look like it would be nice.

At the Hilton exec lounge, it depends on the time of day. During evening happy hour, there is staff manning the bar and you need to ask for what you want. At other times you can just walk up to the fridge and grab it, which is convenient. I agree that having staff hover around you and insist they fetch your bottle of water for you at the SotP is annoying.

I always enjoy reading posts about this hotel because there is always so much variety of opinion. We have had good, better and best stays before during and after the renovations. When I say during, we had reservations for a christmas stay the year the hotel was closed, and hilton neglected to let us know the hotel was closed. When we learned of the closure, They were able to procure 2 rooms at the merchant court that year around the corner as our reward stay which we think was pretty good recovery on the busiest night of the year in Sydney on less than 6 months notice. We had a reward stay over New Years this year , and when we arrived a few days before and were given the standard room, we went downstairs and asked if there was anything larger available. They said not today., but if you wait until tomorrow we will move you to a junior suite - one of the few room types we had not been in. It was a little outdated, not the refurbished rooms, but it was a corner with windows on two sides, and plenty of space for us.. We ended up staying an extra couple of days due to an unexpected change in plans, and they could not have been more accomodating. I enjoy the health club next door as you certainly wont wait for equipment and even though it was closed to the public for a few days, hotel guests could use the facilities. The lounge is busy and people do have dinner there, but clearly that is the model they have chosen, and I like the food choices vs many other lounges I have been in. We always have a good attitude checking in because we never know what the stay will be, and try to go with the flow. We do check prices pretty frequently when we have a paid stay, as they tend to change quite a bit.

I do miss the local yogurt they had.. the chobani bar is not even close... I think it was called yalla and had great flavors.. pomegrante.. I remember.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:18 pm

That's true, at night they are manning the bar. I would say that's different because they are actually set up there to use the soft drinks in alcoholic drinks on the spot (e.g. gin and tonic, JD and coke). that's only for 2 hours, and they also lay out a variety of soft drinks in an ice bowl on the table which is self serve (I usually grab from here if its a soft drink, go to the bar for alcoholic). At SOTP they circle around and man the bar to guard it whilst they are doing nothing, and only bring the drink to your table, even if its just a bottle of pepsi or water. The other 13 or so hours of the day at Hilton you are free to take any drink you want.

and agree, Glass has really gone downhill these days. It's not a breakfast I'd rave about.

I've never head a problem with natural light in the Hilton. Are you sure you raised the shades? They are built in to the windows so you need to use the switch by the bed. I find they work better when closed than the curtains at the SotP. I've had larger mini-suites at the SotP, but never a fancy park view. I usually have a view of an industrial building's ventilation shaft
I think he is exaggerating. If you click his review above, he took a lot of photos of the room full of natural light.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 7, 2018 at 7:03 pm Reason: quoted deleted post
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
We just finished a 5 night award booking here this week.

Nothing too exciting here, but thought it was a solid stay. Upgraded to upper floor, corner room. No extra Diamond amenities, past the two waters each day in the room. Standard lounge access and breakfast in Glass.

Lounge was fine. Nothing great, nothing bad. They get pretty busy in the evening, but we always managed to find a table. Desserts were nice. Otherwise, some sliced meats, cheeseboard, salad, bread, one or two hot items and various snacks.

Glass was ok, but I’d feel ripped off if I actually paid the asking price. Decent selection, ok pastries. I guess I’m too used to Asian Hilton properties, and this average restaurant pales in comparison. It is markedly better than the lounge breakfast, of course.

Nice Lindt mini chocolates left in the room in the evening. We came back our last day after the room was cleaned, to find one of the mini Pringles can knocked over on it’s side from the diabolical magnetic minibar stand. And I assume that’s the ridiculous AUD$16 charge that showed up on my final bill. A quick call solved that problem.

The bellmen were superhelpful here. Adele in the Exec Lounge was nice with some restaurant recommendations.

We hadn’t changed any money at the airport, as everyplace seemed a huge ripoff. I called the Magic line at the hotel, and was told they could exchange money, and was given the rate, which was good. However when I tried to exchange, I was told only to settle the bill at checkout. The Concierge pointed us to Crown Currency on the 5th floor at the nearby Westfield mall. A bit under a 3% loss on exchange.

Lots of smaller restaurants nearby only take cash.
Thanks for the review. As for changing money: why do people still do this when there are always ATM's which don't rip anyone off? Maybe a transaction charge but that is always clear. I stopped changing money years ago, except in very random countries where ATM's are not readily available, or working.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by sbams
Thanks for the review. As for changing money: why do people still do this when there are always ATM's which don't rip anyone off? Maybe a transaction charge but that is always clear. I stopped changing money years ago, except in very random countries where ATM's are not readily available, or working.
I agree with this. I use Citibank Plus in Australia when travelling overseas for near xe.com rates. I assume overseas visitors could sign up for the same debit card. Either way, ATM fee will usually be cheaper than getting rorted at a currency exchange.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)

Originally Posted by worldiswide
I do miss the local yogurt they had.. the chobani bar is not even close... I think it was called yalla and had great flavors.. pomegrante.. I remember.
i loved the pomegranate! I think it had passion fruit as well. So delicious, so creamy.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by sbams
The ATMs I spotted at the airport were all of the scamish variety. In much of the world I’ll use credit cards exclusively, and don’t even need to change any money.

I think I had $50 left over from my last trip in 2012, but that doesn’t last too long in Australia. Lots of cash only restaurants near the hotel. Good food!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:46 pm

Just a few quick queries ahead of a stay this weekend; one of the reviews online mentioned that checkin is possible at the Executive Lounge; can I just head directly there on arrival, or will the executive level only be accessible with a key card for the lift?

Secondly, is it definitely the case that Diamonds can choose between breakfast in the lounge or Glass, or is that only when the lounge is at capacity?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:57 pm

This Diamond has always had breakfast at Glass (after a paid night) and also occasionally at the lounge after arriving on an early flight and checking in at 8 AM or so! At the Glass they charge you for specialty coffee while at the lounge you can use the machine without charge of course.

Originally Posted by FormalHall
Just a few quick queries ahead of a stay this weekend; one of the reviews online mentioned that checkin is possible at the Executive Lounge; can I just head directly there on arrival, or will the executive level only be accessible with a key card for the lift?

Secondly, is it definitely the case that Diamonds can choose between breakfast in the lounge or Glass, or is that only when the lounge is at capacity?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by FormalHall

On my last visit (last month) they had changed it so that you needed a keycard to access the Executive Lounge floor via the Lift. I had checked in at the front desk so it did not worry me. Getting a staff member to provide access might be a real hassle even if they will do it.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It appears Hilton has literally wiped Sydney off the map...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.