Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: A3*G, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Thinking about taking my daughter here for her Spring Break this week: Does anyone know if any of the rooms/suites have a sofabed, or decent couch to sleep on? Twin bed rooms seem to be booked up.

I love this property, the lounge and Glass views over some brekkie really make it, along with the great lounge checkin staff.

TDM
I am currently in a Twin Exec Room, which coincidentally has a sofa though I don't think it would make for a comfortable sleep if your daughter is older than maybe 12. If you like to see it I could share a photo of it later.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Appreciate it, Bavariair, but I checked in this Wed morning and got a King Jr. suite. I was concerned it would just have the little chaise / fainting couch, but there IS a full sized sofa as well. Nice enough room. After a 20 hour flight, anything short of a wood picnic table would look like a heavenly bed, so no complaining here. Lounge was nice tonight, looking forward to Glass tomorrow!

btw: exercise / health club is really big and nice for a hotel gym! I hadn't been down there before, liking it.

TDM
kirkwoodj and earlyriser like this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Appreciate it, Bavariair, but I checked in this Wed morning and got a King Jr. suite. I was concerned it would just have the little chaise / fainting couch, but there IS a full sized sofa as well. Nice enough room. After a 20 hour flight, anything short of a wood picnic table would look like a heavenly bed, so no complaining here. Lounge was nice tonight, looking forward to Glass tomorrow!

btw: exercise / health club is really big and nice for a hotel gym! I hadn't been down there before, liking it.
Glad it worked out for you!

The health club is run by LivingWell, which equips and operates it as a private gym, so it is very nice for a hotel gym. (LivingWell also operates many Hilton gyms in Europe.) One reason I prefer the Hilton to other Sydney properties is the 25-meter pool for lap swimming (e.g., the Sheraton on the Park has much larger and nicer rooms, but only a tiny toe-dip pool.)
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
If you have award bookings at this property, you might want to check pricing. I had one in a few months, and saved about 8k points per night under current rates.
turtlemichael and earlyriser like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
We just finished a 5 night award booking here this week.

Nothing too exciting here, but thought it was a solid stay. Upgraded to upper floor, corner room. No extra Diamond amenities, past the two waters each day in the room. Standard lounge access and breakfast in Glass.

Lounge was fine. Nothing great, nothing bad. They get pretty busy in the evening, but we always managed to find a table. Desserts were nice. Otherwise, some sliced meats, cheeseboard, salad, bread, one or two hot items and various snacks.

Glass was ok, but I’d feel ripped off if I actually paid the asking price. Decent selection, ok pastries. I guess I’m too used to Asian Hilton properties, and this average restaurant pales in comparison. It is markedly better than the lounge breakfast, of course.

Nice Lindt mini chocolates left in the room in the evening. We came back our last day after the room was cleaned, to find one of the mini Pringles can knocked over on it’s side from the diabolical magnetic minibar stand. And I assume that’s the ridiculous AUD$16 charge that showed up on my final bill. A quick call solved that problem.

The bellmen were superhelpful here. Adele in the Exec Lounge was nice with some restaurant recommendations.

We hadn’t changed any money at the airport, as everyplace seemed a huge ripoff. I called the Magic line at the hotel, and was told they could exchange money, and was given the rate, which was good. However when I tried to exchange, I was told only to settle the bill at checkout. The Concierge pointed us to Crown Currency on the 5th floor at the nearby Westfield mall. A bit under a 3% loss on exchange.

Lots of smaller restaurants nearby only take cash.
earlyriser likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:45 pm

Finally got to try SOTP as it was on my bucket list, being a frequent Hilton stayer.

Here is the comparison:

- Glass breakfast (even though its gone downhill) is significantly better than Feast breakfast. Pastries are of much higher quality. And imo, better variety at Glass. It's also nice that you get both the amenity ($5 of hilton points) as well as full restaurant breakfast. That being said, the breakfast at the new West Hotel Curio BLOWS both out of the water - like - better than asian hotels. Eggs benedict/hash/avocado as a la carte Diamond items are to die for. I don't think either Glass or Feast are amazing, just that Glass is better than Feast. Glass is 'ok'
- Despite the Hyde Park view at SOTP (which being a Sydney sider is nice but not very impressive for me) as well as the slightly higher sqm, there is no way an Executive Suite at SOTP is better than Relaxation Room or Relaxation Suite. Hilton has nicer deco, amazing, huge spa baths, nicer shower and bathroom, bright and more comfy bed. Sheraton was like 'cool', Hilton, I remember the first time seeing the relaxation rooms and suites and trying out the spa baths were like WOW.
- Better pool and gym at Hilton.
- Hilton hotel and exec lounge has gone downhill lately (reduced items and cost cutting - things like reducing water amenity to 250ml and no toothbrushes), but when it as top of its game it can rival Sheraton. Better desserts, better afternoon tea (admittedly tasty supermarket cupcakes at Sheraton but thats vs a scone/jam/cream and additional desert service at Hilton - I'd take the scones + extra dessert any day)
- Awesome self serve policy at Hilton, with no staff hawking you. Grab 10 soft drinks from the fridge, Coke varieties, nice water, hot chocolate. In comparison SOTP lounge is extremely awkward, imagine having to face a staff member if you want a... water... or being watched while you are getting a gummy lolly. Some people prefer this, I'd rather grab my 20 soft drinks and relax in a corner.
- AWESOME bar set up at Hilton Sydney, providing both sit down ask for drink service AND a line up. I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about and complaining about, being able to walk up to a casual line and ask for what drink you want is the bomb.
- Very friendly / down to earth lounge staff at Hilton. Pretentious / upmarket staff at SOTP. Although they are polite, there is no need to hand out or pour a PEPSI MAX like it is a fine dining restaurant.
- Decent prawns at the SOTP lounge, but Hilton also has prawns on some days. I don't eat oysters so can't comment.
- Just as cool options and variety at Hilton lounge imo. Although this has gone downhill as of late and I've noticed they've reduced their options.

So yeah, I don't really see the big fuss about SOTP.

I'll take Relax Room/Suite @ Hilton over Executive Suite @ SOTP any day, I'll take the afternoon tea and breakfast any day, and for that awesome drink line up I'd take hilton lounge on a prawns day anyday.

For how much people rave about SOTP I expected way more.

Last edited by mingzie; Sep 4, 2018 at 11:54 pm
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mingzie

Awesome self serve policy at Hilton, with no staff hawking you.

Grab 10 soft drinks from the fridge, Coke varieties, nice water, hot chocolate.

I'd rather grab my 20 soft drinks and relax in a corner.
And some wonder why cost cutting takes place in Lounges. TWENTY beverages at a time?????? Good grief.

It is an Executive Lounge .. not a Costco Warehouse.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
And some wonder why cost cutting takes place in Lounges. TWENTY beverages at a time?????? Good grief.
Of course, its an exaggeration. Just to emphasise the point - if you wanted to take 20 drinks, you could. Much like the QF lounge, if you want to order one of every menu item, you could. Its the freedom of being able to do so, not the fact that someone would do so.

And this seems to be the case of any lounge with a fridge of soft drinks.

Soft drinks are dirt cheap to hotels. I mean a normal consumer can buy 24 cans for $10 AUD reliably.

Yes, its an executive lounge, not a prison cafeteria. Having to police the soft drink section is not very executive. Why do I need to ASK to get a water or pepsi max? Am I executive or a beggar..

Last edited by mingzie; Sep 5, 2018 at 12:14 am
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:33 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
What a bizarre review. The windows at the Hilton are tiny and the rooms lack natural light.

The Exec Suites at the SOTP have huge windows and the from Level 15 upwards have views of the Harbour Heads.

The Hilton indoor, windowless pool in the third party gym is horrid in comparison with SOTP pool on the rooftop that overlooks the City with Harbour Views.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Checked out of Hilton this morning, just a one-night stay. Upgraded to Relaxation Room. There were toothbrush/paste kits in the room (re mingzie‘s comment above). Light in room (43rd floor) was lovely when shades up, despite it being a cloudy & rainy morning). Staff all great, and was given 2p late checkout, which I ended up not needing. Enjoyed Glass brekkie. Have stayed at Curio several times now too—the breakfast there is great if you have no time concerns. I find the Hilton location more convenient too. YMMV.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
What a bizarre review. The windows at the Hilton are tiny and the rooms lack natural light.

The Exec Suites at the SOTP have huge windows and the from Level 15 upwards have views of the Harbour Heads.

The Hilton indoor, windowless pool in the third party gym is horrid in comparison with SOTP pool on the rooftop that overlooks the City with Harbour Views.
Not bizarre, just subjective. I've had no issues with light in any of the Hilton rooms. You can flip most of the windows to allow natural light in.

As mentioned earlier, you may prefer the tiny/shallow SOTP pool to the proper Hilton Sydney pool with multiple lanes where you can do laps. But to us, thats bizarre. It is normal in Australia for a proper pool to be indoor with no windows.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Checked out of Hilton this morning, just a one-night stay. Upgraded to Relaxation Room. There were toothbrush/paste kits in the room (re mingzie‘s comment above). Light in room (43rd floor) was lovely when shades up, despite it being a cloudy & rainy morning). Staff all great, and was given 2p late checkout, which I ended up not needing. Enjoyed Glass brekkie. Have stayed at Curio several times now too—the breakfast there is great if you have no time concerns. I find the Hilton location more convenient too. YMMV.
Excellent to hear about the toothbrushes.

The past 5 or so stays they haven't given toothbrushes (which is a bit disheartening) - you have to ask for it. Agreed with Curio + time concerns, and yes. Hilton Sydney location is 100x better. Right next to QVB in middle of city vs. Barangaroo in the middle of nowhere.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mingzie
Am I executive or a beggar ..

Coming from someone admitting to hoovering up 10 or 20 drinks at a time, "just because I can" I know where my vote would go.

I've stayed at many Relaxation Rooms and Suites at Sydney Hilton, and high floor water view Suites at Sheraton in the Park, and there is absolutely no comparison. SOTP wins hands down.

Neither is there Lounge versus Lounge parity. No contest. SOTP has one of thebest views in the world. Sit outside on a nice evening, and NIRVANA.

But I admit, we only ever drink or order one beverage a time, so my views might be old fashioned these days.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Coming from someone admitting to hoovering up 10 or 20 drinks at a time, "just because I can" I know where my vote would go.

I've stayed at many Relaxation Rooms and Suites at Sydney Hilton, and high floor water view Suites at Sheraton in the Park, and there is absolutely no comparison. SOTP wins hands down.

Neither is there Lounge versus Lounge parity. No contest. SOTP has one of thebest views in the world. Sit outside on a nice evening, and NIRVANA.

But I admit, we only ever drink or order one beverage a time, so my views might be old fashioned these days.
Maybe you should learn to read someones post correctly? I said, having the option and freedom to do so is a big plus. Of course, I am not taking 20 drinks... only 10 drinks By the way, call me beggar all you like, I am paying $200-300+ a night on multiple rooms.

I really find the attitude funny where people think they are 'better' than everyone in the lounge, and those who have their dinner in the lounge or multiple drinks (which they paid access for and are entitled to by the way and probably multiples of your room rate) are scum.

No, you're not a better person than the families having their dinner, and no, not everyone has the same opinion as you about what constitutes a good lounge/service/view. No need for this snotty attitude towards everyone who has an opinion different to yours.

If you think about it, they're enjoying their life, entitled to access, having fun with their family, enjoying and making use of the food and drinks (a lot of people are not frequent stayers and only get to stay at a hotel occasionally). Whilst you are thinking how low class they are. The irony...
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m0hamed

Yes, sadly Hilton were stuck with the tiny "Archer View" vertical slit windows when they did the re-model, and Council would not allow them to be made larger and alter the exterior facade. Even the lounge has them, and they are tiny compared to how they would be done today on a new build.

Got to see someone else has actually stayed at the high floor balcony Suites at Sheraton On The Park. Nothing at Sydney Hilton can come close of course, as they are surrounded by high rise there. That is a self evident fact, and anyone who can't fathom that, really should not be making absurd sweeping comments if they have not stayed there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.