Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Having an Exec lounge would be a nice bonus at the Hilton, but a lot of comments don’t put it in the best light.
Nothing wrong with the lounge IMO - it just gets busy. HSYD also has a sauna and actual gym so it is worth paying extra for me.
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Good luck with getting a decent rate.

I looked over availabilities for next 3 months, as I need a few extra nights, and near all nights seemed to be around the $A300 mark no matter what rates I asked for!
You may already know, but good value can be had by booking last minute.
Jaimito Cartero and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Good luck with getting a decent rate.

I looked over availabilities for next 3 months, as I need a few extra nights, and near all nights seemed to be around the $A300 mark no matter what rates I asked for!
I'm planning a trip to Sydney (Australia this time ) in October, and I'm finding the rates extremely high. I know there's still time, and hopefully the rates will go down. For now, I booked a fully refundable (24 hours notice), "KING HILTON DELUXE ROOM, 30 m˛/323sq.ft, " for A$330 with the AARP rate. The Honors MVP rate doesn't seem to work here
While I'm certainly hoping that the rates will go down, I figured I could snag this now, just in case they go up.

Anyway, does anyone have thoughts on the upgrade offers? I'm just Honors Gold, so any free upgrade is probably unlikely for a week stay:

* A$16/night: KING HILTON DELUXE PLUS ROOM , 30 m˛/323sq.ft
  • Located on the top 4 floors of the hotel
  • Offers breathtaking skyline views from your room
  • Offer provides a Late Check Out and a 375ml bottle of red wine and two bottles of water
* A$27/night: HIGHER FLOOR LOCATION , 30 - 43 floors
  • Add breathtaking skyline views from a high floor location to your currently confirmed room.
  • Take in enhanced views of the beautiful Sydney skyline and local surrounding area.
* A$224/night: KING RELAXATION ROOM , 48 m˛/517sq.ft
  • Enjoy this open plan living boutique room
  • For added privacy there are sliding doors to bathroom
  • Relax via the invigorating hydro spa and three-jet shower right in your hotel room
  • Offers Executive lounge access which comes with complimentary continential breakfast, Evening drinks and canapes
* A$352/night: KING RELAXATION SUITE , 54 m˛/581sq.ft
  • Enjoy a 3 zone suite which comes with a separate bed, bath & lounge areas
  • Relax in a luxury double spa bath overlooking Sydney's skyline
  • Relax in a walk in shower with massage jets
  • Enjoy amazing city view from your desk
The King Suite is A$470/night.

The Deluxe Plus and Higher Floor seem a bit like the same. If either, perhaps I'd take the Plus. I'm tempted to do the suite just to see if I'd get it...but then I probably will :P
Of course all of these are in addition to my current room rate, which hopefully I'll be able to get lower between now and then.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Have you considered points & cash?
The relaxation rooms are nice, but not for that much. You'll probably get an upgrade to Deluxe Plus or Exec from current booking.
I like this property, but will try the new Curio next week.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Have you considered points & cash?
The relaxation rooms are nice, but not for that much. You'll probably get an upgrade to Deluxe Plus or Exec from current booking.
I like this property, but will try the new Curio next week.
They don't have any points & cash offers yet. If one opens up, maybe I'll take it.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
The rates you have quoted do not strike me as particularly high either for Sydney or this hotel particularly when they include a decent continental breakfast in the executive lounge (for golds).

What the rates end up will depend on demand but they are worth regularly checking particularly in the days immediately before your stay. Further, the differences between guestroom and plus, deluxe and plus even executive and plus are minute and, in my opinion, certainly not worth paying for. You would be very Iucky to get an upgrade to a suite or even a relaxation room both as a gold and for a week stay. I like the relaxation room but not at that price. My advice would be to take the AARP rate and keep watching the situation. Alternatively, look elsewhere outside the Hilton. Enjoy your visit.
aztimm and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I've stayed at the Hilton countless times for well over a decade. While the rooms are annoyingly cramped, I've always found the staff nice, the Glass breakfast enjoyable, and really appreciate having access to a gym on site with a 25-meter pool for lap swimming. However, I've been at the Sheraton on the Park for several days now, because from February 2017 through the day before we arrived in Sydney, the Hilton had zero standard room awards available, and paid prices were extremely high. It's really aggravating that for a full year the Hilton did not have any rooms available at reasonable points levels or paid amounts. The day before we arrived they had standard award rooms available for the duration of our stay, but by then it was too late to cancel at the Sheraton.
earlyriser likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:18 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by anabolism
I've stayed at the Hilton countless times for well over a decade. While the rooms are annoyingly cramped, I've always found the staff nice, the Glass breakfast enjoyable, and really appreciate having access to a gym on site with a 25-meter pool for lap swimming. However, I've been at the Sheraton on the Park for several days now, because from February 2017 through the day before we arrived in Sydney, the Hilton had zero standard room awards available, and paid prices were extremely high. It's really aggravating that for a full year the Hilton did not have any rooms available at reasonable points levels or paid amounts. The day before we arrived they had standard award rooms available for the duration of our stay, but by then it was too late to cancel at the Sheraton.
In my view there is no comparison. The SOTP is a far superior hotel - view of the Park and the Harbour Heads from the top floors, the rooftop pool with a view as opposed to an indoor facility, one of the best club lounges in the World with outdoor balconies and with the current renovation it's even better.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC50k, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Club
Originally Posted by m0hamed
In my view there is no comparison. The SOTP is a far superior hotel - view of the Park and the Harbour Heads from the top floors, the rooftop pool with a view as opposed to an indoor facility, one of the best club lounges in the World with outdoor balconies and with the current renovation it's even better.
+1 on this. I’ve also stayed at both. However, I’ve also found the rates generally reflect the difference between the hotels.
turtlemichael and penegal like this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:17 pm

Wow, I didn't realize that the Hilton has a 25m lap pool, that definitely makes that a little more palatable. Although I still want to swim at Icebergs at least once

Just for kicks, I checked rates at the Sheraton for my dates...A$450+ per night
earlyriser likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I thought the Hilton was your favourite!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by aztimm
I'm planning a trip to Sydney (Australia this time ) in October, and I'm finding the rates extremely high. I know there's still time, and hopefully the rates will go down. For now, I booked a fully refundable (24 hours notice), "KING HILTON DELUXE ROOM, 30 m˛/323sq.ft, " for A$330 with the AARP rate. The Honors MVP rate doesn't seem to work here
I would suggest keep checking regularly.
I saw huge fluctuation in price both cash and points about a month before the stay..
I booked 5 days using points last year in July and from a starting 240000 points it came down to 133000 points about 4 weeks before the arrival date.
As long as you have a flexible booking, book the new rate then cancel the old one.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:35 am

You do get a nice view from the lounge, but I've yet to have a room with a view of anything except the windows of an office building very close by. In the Hilton I always get longer views, often of Town Hall. The Sheraton's rooftop pool is great if you want a pool to lounge near, perhaps with a drink in hand, but it's far too small for any sort of swimming at all. The Hilton has a real pool, 25 meters long, three lanes, two for lap swimming, with center lines and lane dividers. This is very much a matter of personal taste, but I can't stand Pelagrino sparkling water, which is what the Sheraton Club serves. The Hilton has, in my view, far tastier water. I can certainly see why you and others might prefer the Sheraton, I'm not saying it's bad, just that for what I value, not as enjoyable as the Hilton. The renovation has improved the rooms, I agree, although they seem to have left unchanged the ancient and poorly working toilets.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Thinking about taking my daughter here for her Spring Break this week: Does anyone know if any of the rooms/suites have a sofabed, or decent couch to sleep on? Twin bed rooms seem to be booked up.

I love this property, the lounge and Glass views over some brekkie really make it, along with the great lounge checkin staff.

TDM
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Thinking about taking my daughter here for her Spring Break this week: Does anyone know if any of the rooms/suites have a sofabed, or decent couch to sleep on? Twin bed rooms seem to be booked up.
Best to call hotel (via Skype or Google Hangouts if it would otherwise be an expensive international call). I've stayed many, many times over the last 20+ years, and never had a room with a sofa bed or sleepable couch (which is usually more of a fainting couch type thing, not very long). If you call the hotel, they might be able to give you a twin room even though they are booked (e.g., someone who booked a twin room might get upgraded to a different room). They might be able to put a rolling bed in, although I'm not sure where it could fit.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
...they might be able to put a rolling bed in, although I'm not sure where it could fit.

Yeah, I did get an email back from the property. They didn't answer the couch question, but did offer a rollaway for $75 a night. Which seems high for a cot.

GuessI'll wing it and hope for a larger suite or at least a twin "upgrade." I do wish more upper crust hotels went with sofa beds like an Embassy Suites might have. I've done a lot of travel where I've brought my family, then upgraded to some really nice suite, but then they can't fit and I have to downgrade. I'd really prefer a nice suite that has a half-decent sleeper couch!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.