Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 2MM
It is too bad this is the only Hilton property in Sydney. I checked some dates in February, and it is actually sold out for several dates!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:56 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sydneyboi
Just completed a two night stay here - I was told there was no upgradable rooms available as I checked in. I checked the app and could see there was suits etc
not impressed - the room was very small. The club lounge is really like a zoo, the food was ok, but there is no privacy and it seems like the staff just do not care.
I prefer the Marriott and the Sheraton for Sydney stays.
I have several friends who are Diamond. They have matched to Hyatt and others because the Hilton SYD began behaving this way and denying upgrades.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I have several friends who are Diamond. They have matched to Hyatt and others because the Hilton SYD began behaving this way and denying upgrades.
Hilton SYD has been stingy with upgrades for years.

I've stayed at that property off and on since 2008 out of loyalty to Hhonors more than anything else.

So easily 10-15 times, if not more.

I have received a total of one upgrade to a relaxation room in that time.

The rest have been the usual exec floors. Compared to the Melbourne Hilton, it is night and day.

That said, Glass is a fantastic comped breakfest even though they have taken away the Espresso coffee.

I am giving it another go in a few weeks. I do (sadly) expect much of the same. At least I got a decent rate this time.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:09 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
When we stayed we received no turn down thus no bottle of water by the bed.

We used one bottle that was above the fridge next to the glasses. I explained this to front desk and he said not a problem as Diamonds are entitled to two bottles of water.

Today I see a charge of $8. I call the hotel and the operator gives me a lecture that only the ones by the bed are free. I make it clear that if it's not reversed I will perform a chargeback. It's not the amount it's the principle and the fact that I physically checked out to prevent issues like this from occurring.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Every time I've stayed there the free bottles of water have been located on the desk with a sign saying they're the comp bottles.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Every time I've stayed there the free bottles of water have been located on the desk with a sign saying they're the comp bottles.
I received an email today stating they were placed in the room (they were not), basically calling me a liar and stating 'as a gesture of goodwill' they will reverse the charge. The email came from the same staff member I spoke to on the phone today.

I am so appalled by the customer service I have responded and cc'd the GM. What kind of 5 star hotel operates with such contempt not just for guests but their highest tier?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, OZ Dia, HH Dia, SPG Plat25, MR Plat, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by lcohen999
I've stayed at that property off and on since 2008 out of loyalty to Hhonors more than anything else.

So easily 10-15 times, if not more.

I have received a total of one upgrade to a relaxation room in that time.

The rest have been the usual exec floors.
I stayed here for about 25 nights in the space of about 6 months, for stays between 1 to 5 nights. Only got suite upgrades twice.

Glass has gone downhill re quality, as has the exec lounge which has a smaller spread now.

Not only has the stinginess of this Hilton made me stop staying here (except for maybe 1 or 2 more stays) I've moved all my stays to SPG. And I was quite a fan of this property as I've posted upthread.

Way to go Hilton Sydney. You may have the wholesale airline crowd, but your other guests are getting mighty peeved.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
I have a totally different experience with most of my stays for status each year earned at this hotel. Last years upgrades where one king suite, 2 relax. suites and alot of relax. rooms all one night stays which helps.

As far as the the staff go I find them to be excellent at what they do with service to match. Theres the occasional small problem but nothing that cannot be sorted quickly. The odd time when there has been no waters a quick call to magic and they will bring them up.Although being a fully stocked fridge in the exec lounge it is just as easy to get something from there.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
I received an email today stating they were placed in the room (they were not), basically calling me a liar and stating 'as a gesture of goodwill' they will reverse the charge. The email came from the same staff member I spoke to on the phone today.

I am so appalled by the customer service I have responded and cc'd the GM. What kind of 5 star hotel operates with such contempt not just for guests but their highest tier?

That's pretty poor.

This place really has gone downhill - I used to say regularly (2-3 stays, 4-6 nights a month) for a few years and haven't stayed there since late 2015.

I burned some points for my wife and I to spend the night just after Christmas so she could do some CBD shopping for a full day.

- Reward stay but upgraded to an "executive room" (cough) - not a suite.
- Lounge food was pathetic. Miserable dried pizza.
- Lounge bar has gone from bad to worse. If I can self-serve at OOL, BNE, ADL, MEL, etc why not SYD? Complete WOFTAM to have two staff members tied up and guests lining up.
- Glass breakfast was about the best thing - but I eat a light breakfast and my wife just had eggs & mushrooms.
- Room service prices are through the roof for what you get. We went out for Thai instead. Compared to the pricing (and generosity of serves) at the BNE and ADL Hiltons, this is a complete rip-off.

I was also slugged something like $80 for valet parking. I work in Sydney so I know parking isn't cheap - but seriously?

Definitely enough to make you think about switching to another brand in SYD. I must be close to 100 stays at this hotel (I got a 75 stay gift sometime mid-2015), the trend line is definitely down.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:19 am

You should do the SPG Platinum Challenge.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
You should do the SPG Platinum Challenge.
I may have to do that.

I'm happy with the other AU properties - but the one in Melbourne doesn't have a pool, and the new 4 Points docklands will...
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by shillard
That's pretty poor.

This place really has gone downhill - I used to say regularly (2-3 stays, 4-6 nights a month) for a few years and haven't stayed there since late 2015.

I burned some points for my wife and I to spend the night just after Christmas so she could do some CBD shopping for a full day.

- Reward stay but upgraded to an "executive room" (cough) - not a suite.
- Lounge food was pathetic. Miserable dried pizza.
- Lounge bar has gone from bad to worse. If I can self-serve at OOL, BNE, ADL, MEL, etc why not SYD? Complete WOFTAM to have two staff members tied up and guests lining up.
- Glass breakfast was about the best thing - but I eat a light breakfast and my wife just had eggs & mushrooms.
- Room service prices are through the roof for what you get. We went out for Thai instead. Compared to the pricing (and generosity of serves) at the BNE and ADL Hiltons, this is a complete rip-off.

I was also slugged something like $80 for valet parking. I work in Sydney so I know parking isn't cheap - but seriously?

Definitely enough to make you think about switching to another brand in SYD. I must be close to 100 stays at this hotel (I got a 75 stay gift sometime mid-2015), the trend line is definitely down.
parking is available on public holidays for very cheap through pre-booking. It is also available at other spots and a short walk. Points are a bad spend for this hotel, especially when it's full.

you can't expect a complimentary upgrade around xmas period with Amex offer unless you're the top member as hotel is 99% occupancy.

lounge bar might have a line but only ever had to wait couple mins max. The staff there are very skilled at mixing drinks compared to you doing it yourself. The selection is great.

lounge food is excellent on the same nights you were there. Hot food cycled multiple options (pizza was only one of them on the side) with the mains changing once they ran out and a neverending prawn gate!

also, extremely cheap rate on these dates. Executive lounge staff are also always at the top of their game.
​​​​​​
I think we are staying at different hotels lol.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by mingzie
parking is available on public holidays for very cheap through pre-booking. It is also available at other spots and a short walk. Points are a bad spend for this hotel, especially when it's full.

you can't expect a complimentary upgrade around xmas period with Amex offer unless you're the top member as hotel is 99% occupancy.

lounge bar might have a line but only ever had to wait couple mins max. The staff there are very skilled at mixing drinks compared to you doing it yourself. The selection is great.

lounge food is excellent on the same nights you were there. Hot food cycled multiple options (pizza was only one of them on the side) with the mains changing once they ran out and a neverending prawn gate!

also, extremely cheap rate on these dates. Executive lounge staff are also always at the top of their game.
​​​​​​
I think we are staying at different hotels lol.
I think the price has alot to do with it. I try to pay no more than $200 and I am very pleased with the benefits I receive. But if I was to pay $350+ I would hope to receive atleast a relax. room otherwise the value is not there for me.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Originally Posted by ozztraveller
I think the price has alot to do with it. I try to pay no more than $200 and I am very pleased with the benefits I receive. But if I was to pay $350+ I would hope to receive atleast a relax. room otherwise the value is not there for me.
Have been looking to stay at Hilton Sydney recently and certainly not seeing anything under $200. Are you booking last minute?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by earlyriser
Have been looking to stay at Hilton Sydney recently and certainly not seeing anything under $200. Are you booking last minute?
Yes, prices tend to drop from a week out on certain days. Its hard to get more than 2 days in a row below $200 but it happens over christmas and through winter. After 4 years of staying here you tend to see a pattern regarding prices. Sundays are the cheapest with the occasional monday or friday. Prices will be better early in the day as inventory sells the price tends to increase over the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.