Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
Are there any recent updates on the renovations? Any idea when they’ll be completed? And will it be a huge improvement ‘cos after reading many reviews on Tripadvisor there seem to be a problem with housekeeping ( which I think has a lot to do with the old rooms)

I’m planning a trip to Sydney in October, and I can’t decide where to stay, Hilton or the new Curio as a diamond or even the Sofitel Darling Harbour.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Winniesbestfriend
Are there any recent updates on the renovations? Any idea when they’ll be completed? And will it be a huge improvement ‘cos after reading many reviews on Tripadvisor there seem to be a problem with housekeeping ( which I think has a lot to do with the old rooms)

I’m planning a trip to Sydney in October, and I can’t decide where to stay, Hilton or the new Curio as a diamond or even the Sofitel Darling Harbour.
I have not stayed at the Sofitel but obviously have seen it . I mean, it is a brand new modern Sofitel. So I would guess the usual expectations will apply.

I just did a one night stay at the Curio and it was solid as always. Good Diamond recognition, small upgrade, beautiful room.

The Hilton, if you go in not expecting a new room then you won't be disappointed. I suspect 'upgrades' will be to a renovated floor even if the room type doesn't change until everything is done. So you can probably assume that.
earlyriser likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
Aeolus posted in July that renovations had started on the 20th floor, and were planned to take 2 weeks a floor. Top floor appears to be 43, but I am not sure what floor rooms start on, maybe 20? So say 23 floors at 2 a week means completion scheduled for 46 weeks, So maybe June next year.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by rick253
Aeolus posted in July that renovations had started on the 20th floor, and were planned to take 2 weeks a floor. Top floor appears to be 43, but I am not sure what floor rooms start on, maybe 20? So say 23 floors at 2 a week means completion scheduled for 46 weeks, So maybe June next year.
A TripAdvisor reviewer recently said: "Woken early by workmen above our room at 0700."

So it sounds like there are going to be annoying disruptions at the hotel for a while.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:08 am

Renovation will keep going in Oct but they’re not doing the renovation sequentially from lowest to highest floor, they’ll move around a bit. I visit this hotel quite often and if you’re here on business, you won’t even know renovation is going on. I think the noise from the remaining tram line construction would be more annoying for guests on the lower floor but looking at the progress it’ll be well over by Oct. If you book the hotel, perhaps make a note in the special request section to avoid being close to the floor that is being renovated.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
Thanks for all your replies, very helpfull. Just out of interest, the tragic attack this afternoon in Sydney was that in the Curio area?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Winniesbestfriend
Thanks for all your replies, very helpfull. Just out of interest, the tragic attack this afternoon in Sydney was that in the Curio area?
It was right in between Curio and Hilton, happened in the corner of Clarence and King Street.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Hilton Sydney

Here for two nights paid stay as a Diamond. Booked lowest cat and upgraded to an executive room the night before the stay. Was offered a room on floor 36 right next to the executive lounge online, so I took it.

Arrived about 8pm from the airport by taxi at 46aud. Fast and friendly check in with good diamond recognition but no suite upgrade.

I was worried about the room condition given the reviews up thread. I must have been in a new room because there was nothing wrong with it. Also, I never heard any construction noise. The room is a little small as is the bathroom. There is an odd, small, uncomfortable designer sofa. The desk and chair are good. The view is quite good.

Breakfast downstair is really very good. Many items of high quality. Also the service for a breakfast buffet is excellent. We had our own friendly waiter. The restaurant is really classy with a great view.

The lounge is the best of the 5 Hiltons that we have stayed at over the last two weeks here in Australia. It is huge with views in three directions. At happy hour, there seemed to be at least six staff on duty. There were several excellent hot items that were quite substantial and very well cooked. There were also large steamed shrimp. There were about four salads and two desserts. Drinks were at a temporary bar with a bartender. More spirits were available than the other Hiltons. Very nice.

Again this thread has some concerns but we must have lucked out as we had no issues. Indeed, the place is really very nice and as a diamond, you are in for a treat. We will be back.
wheresmybagba and earlyriser like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
The shrimp they have there is always great. Worth the mess!
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Spent two nights there in room 37 a couple of weeks ago. We got in very early from the US, room was not ready but they gave us the option of dropping our bags or hanging in the Exec Lounge until it was ready. We spent a couple of hours in the EL, it was a real treat, especially considering the comparison to the EL at the Chicago Mag. Mile we'd been in the night before. Food was great, employees were wonderfully attentive. We had a city view room overlooking the Victoria Bldg, heard absolutely no noise during our stay.

While this is probably somewhere in the thread above, you can take the train from the airport for about $15 US, be sure to got off at the Town Hall station, that's about a block away from the hotel.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
I should have mentioned that my wife was with me which justified the taxi. Btw, she loved the hotel. She was also quite impressed by the massive gym and pool in the basement.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by pretzlaff
I should have mentioned that my wife was with me which justified the taxi. Btw, she loved the hotel. She was also quite impressed by the massive gym and pool in the basement.
The gym arrangement is really good. Its a full service membership gym that hotel guests have access to. Enjoyed it as well.
earlyriser likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by pretzlaff
My spouse and I always take the train both ways. I think it's a bit cheaper with an Opal card.

The pool is perhaps my favorite, being a true 25-meter pool with lap lines and lane dividers. Have to get lucky with timings though, or else it's either full of other swimmers or kids and babies splashing around and probably peeing or worse.
antebellum likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by worldiswide
The gym arrangement is really good. Its a full service membership gym that hotel guests have access to. Enjoyed it as well.
The steam room and sauna are my favs, especially in the colder seasons. For those who are interested in the newly renovated rooms, floor 20-22 are ready with a couple more floors to be released in the next 2 weeks.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by worldiswide
When I was there in April, there's seems like tons of "renovation work" going on at the basement level gym. I'm wondering is that over or still going?
(Photo from my visit)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.