Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Reply

Old Mar 24, 19, 10:53 am
  #361  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,034
Originally Posted by mattya9 View Post
Great information about Hilton Sydney! I just booked a 5 night stay here in May and am looking forward to it. Question though... As a newly minted Diamond, after I made the reservation, I clicked on the “request upgrade” in the app but it said nothing was available. After digging around a bit on FT, this seems to be a fairly normal occurrence and it seems I’ll just have to inquire upon check in. Can someone confirm this strategy is the correct one? Secondly, I know YMMV when it comes to upgrades (city, hotel, day of stay, season, etc), but given this specific hotel, and for those of you (Diamonds) that have stayed here before, what has been your experience with getting suite upgrades here? Our reservation is a Monday through Friday night reservation, if that helps. Thank you in advance!

OPS
What type of room did you book? If you booked the lowest class of room, highly doubtful that you’ll get an upgrade to a suite.

Usually, the front desk will let you know about your upgrade when you check in.
FLYMSY is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 11:34 am
  #362  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Programs: Delta DM, AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 299
Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post


What type of room did you book? If you booked the lowest class of room, highly doubtful that you’ll get an upgrade to a suite.

Usually, the front desk will let you know about your upgrade when you check in.
Booked the base room with a king bed as it was cheapest.
mattya9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 12:54 pm
  #363  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,034
Originally Posted by mattya9 View Post


Booked the base room with a king bed as it was cheapest.
Then, temper your expectation of a major room upgrade. On the bright side, you still have lounge access and breakfast in the lounge or restaurant. The staff is very pleasant and you’re in a great location. Enjoy your stay.
mattya9 likes this.
FLYMSY is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 4:35 pm
  #364  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Programs: Delta DM, AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 299
Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post


Then, temper your expectation of a major room upgrade. On the bright side, you still have lounge access and breakfast in the lounge or restaurant. The staff is very pleasant and you’re in a great location. Enjoy your stay.
Good to know. For future stays, is your chance of an upgrade to a suite better if you book a more expensive room from the start and stay less nights?
mattya9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 4:44 pm
  #365  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: No. California
Programs: UA MP HH
Posts: 1,075
Originally Posted by mattya9 View Post


Good to know. For future stays, is your chance of an upgrade to a suite better if you book a more expensive room from the start and stay less nights?
I would say booking a higher level room probably improves your chance of getting an upgrade to a suite. The length of stay variable is difficult to predict.... depends on availability.
mattya9 likes this.
BlueZebra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 6:29 pm
  #366  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Posts: 7,107
In general, it's always easier for a hotel to upgrade a shorter stay than a longer one.
moa999 and mattya9 like this.
anabolism is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 19, 2:39 pm
  #367  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
Posts: 205
Originally Posted by mattya9 View Post
Great information about Hilton Sydney! I just booked a 5 night stay here in May and am looking forward to it. Question though... As a newly minted Diamond, after I made the reservation, I clicked on the “request upgrade” in the app but it said nothing was available. After digging around a bit on FT, this seems to be a fairly normal occurrence and it seems I’ll just have to inquire upon check in. Can someone confirm this strategy is the correct one? Secondly, I know YMMV when it comes to upgrades (city, hotel, day of stay, season, etc), but given this specific hotel, and for those of you (Diamonds) that have stayed here before, what has been your experience with getting suite upgrades here? Our reservation is a Monday through Friday night reservation, if that helps. Thank you in advance!

OPS
When booking with points or points and pay the upgrade option will not show.

As far as upgrade to a suite unfortunately this hotel has a large number of diamonds regularly staying so makes it near impossible for any upgrade past an exec room. If you are willing to pay extra you can negotiate a price as they will upsell.
mattya9 likes this.
ozztraveller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 19, 4:29 pm
  #368  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Programs: Delta DM, AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 299
Originally Posted by ozztraveller View Post
When booking with points or points and pay the upgrade option will not show.

As far as upgrade to a suite unfortunately this hotel has a large number of diamonds regularly staying so makes it near impossible for any upgrade past an exec room. If you are willing to pay extra you can negotiate a price as they will upsell.
Good to know. Should I still inquire about an upgrade when checking in? As my dad always says "The answer is always 'no' until you ask", right?

OPS
turtlemichael likes this.
mattya9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 19, 5:46 pm
  #369  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Posts: 7,107
Originally Posted by mattya9 View Post
Good to know. Should I still inquire about an upgrade when checking in? As my dad always says "The answer is always 'no' until you ask", right?
Actually, my experience has more often been that the answer was "Yes" from the time the hotel did their room allocations, something typically done either the evening before or the morning of (that is, most hotels review the list of guests arriving either the next day or the same day, and allocate specific rooms to each reservation). Typically, elite members are upgraded, as are frequent guests of the specific hotel. It's not unusual for the latter to get better upgrades than the former. It doesn't hurt to politely ask at the desk when you check in, of course, as there may be further upgrades that might be available, or you may have a preference for a specific type of room or location.
mattya9 likes this.
anabolism is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 19, 6:27 pm
  #370  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Posts: 6,371
Originally Posted by anabolism View Post
Actually, my experience has more often been that the answer was "Yes" from the time the hotel did their room allocations, something typically done either the evening before or the morning of (that is, most hotels review the list of guests arriving either the next day or the same day, and allocate specific rooms to each reservation). Typically, elite members are upgraded, as are frequent guests of the specific hotel. It's not unusual for the latter to get better upgrades than the former. It doesn't hurt to politely ask at the desk when you check in, of course, as there may be further upgrades that might be available, or you may have a preference for a specific type of room or location.
+1. When I haven't been "pre-upgraded" to arrival, I've often had success asking politely at the desk. All the best!
mattya9 likes this.
kirkwoodj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 19, 10:30 pm
  #371  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: New York / Hawaii
Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Posts: 4,044
I had a very nice stay at the Curio last week that was a handful of blocks away from the Hilton. I had a very good stay, so those looking for Hhonors options in Sydney may want to explore options beyond the Hilton.
Weatherboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 19, 2:31 am
  #372  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Posts: 4,810
Originally Posted by Weatherboy View Post
I had a very nice stay at the Curio last week that was a handful of blocks away from the Hilton. I had a very good stay, so those looking for Hhonors options in Sydney may want to explore options beyond the Hilton.
How does it compare as far as standard rooms, breakfast etc. are concerned? My understanding is that it doesn't have an Exec. Lounge. Do they hold any type of snacks and drinks event during happy hour?
teemuflyer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 19, 7:59 pm
  #373  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Posts: 6,371
Originally Posted by teemuflyer View Post
How does it compare as far as standard rooms, breakfast etc. are concerned? My understanding is that it doesn't have an Exec. Lounge. Do they hold any type of snacks and drinks event during happy hour?
Have received 2 drink vouchers as a Diamond on several stays. Breakfast is covered, has changed over time, not worth getting into details as was always adequate. No wardrobe, just a pole sticking out of wall, fine for short stay, not if you have stuff to hang up for biz trip.
Staff quite good. see more on Curio thread.
teemuflyer likes this.
kirkwoodj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 19, 10:15 pm
  #374  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: New York / Hawaii
Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Posts: 4,044
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
Have received 2 drink vouchers as a Diamond on several stays. Breakfast is covered, has changed over time, not worth getting into details as was always adequate. No wardrobe, just a pole sticking out of wall, fine for short stay, not if you have stuff to hang up for biz trip.
Staff quite good. see more on Curio thread.
Ditto. I'm out and about in the evenings and usually miss the PM lounge offeeing, so I didn't miss it. But from location in town, for me the Curio was better than the Hilton.
Weatherboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 19, 2:01 pm
  #375  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: I'm From Here
Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Posts: 3,809
Between the Hilton and the Curio, I just pick the one with the better rate

Both are good, different vibe for sure
lcohen999 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread