Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by anabolism
If you plan on taking trains or busses or ferries around Sydney, you should get the Opal Travel app for your phone, which can tell you which train or bus or ferry to take from where you are to where you want to go. It will even tell you which platform or bus stop. Town Hall Station, which is half a block from the Hilton Sydney, has many platforms, so it's quite handy. You should also buy an Opal card, which makes it super easy to take trains, busses, and ferries: just tap the card to the reader. You can buy the cards at Woolworth's (which is right at Town Hall Station) or countless other places.
Thanks for this tip. Headed to Sydney again in December..had not heard of this app..i will add another app to the list if you are planning to do shopping and want your tax back quicker use tourist refund scheme app..saves time at the airport.

More on topic stayed here many times in every type of room from the awful small no place to put your luggage std rooms to the presidential suite..an unexpected upgrade for a one night stay..it is can inconsistent property in terms of rooms upgrades service etc but it's the only Hilton game in town. When the hotel was closed for refurbishment we had an award stay booked for new years eve that year. The hotel neglected to let us know they were closed see but Hilton found us another property in the cbd and paid for it so I consider that a great service recovery on Hilton's part. I do like the relaxation suite rooms ..right size and generally interesting views..
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by bj27
Just checked in here after an early morning arrival from the US. Previous stay was at the Sheraton on the Park with my parents over NYE period, and our experience there was terrible. I had actually booked at the Sheraton for this trip but then switched last minute to the Hilton after thinking about what a bad experience we had had.

I haven't actually been let into my room yet (I arrive around 7am so I totally understand), though front desk said should be ready within 1.5 hours and will text me when it's ready. Meanwhile she invited me to have breakfast in the lounge, upgraded me a Deluxe Room Plus (one category below the Relaxation Room), though I don't mind not having the extra space since I'm by myself. Letter of Diamond benefits was given to me as well as gym/shower access offered.

Lounge attendants and desk agent were friendly. Overall a much nicer experience so far (and I haven't even been given a room yet) than at the Sheraton.

Don't know if I'll be checking out the evening offerings as I have dinner plans all nights here, but will report back either way.

Let me know if anyone has any questions while I'm here.
Just finished up my stay here and following up.

I was allocated a "Deluxe Room Plus" which is the same as any other guestroom, except on a high floor (I got allocated on the 43rd, top floor) and a complimentary 375ml bottle of wine (which I gave to friends ).

Breakfast at Glass is fine, nothing really to write home about. I think it's outrageously overpriced at $44AUD/head, especially since espresso coffee is $5 extra. I treated some friends to breakfast here (4 total, was planning to pay for the other 2 that were not comped with Diamond status), but the agent working the Glass hostess desk graciously comped all four of our breakfasts.

I only popped around the lounge during the evening once and it was SLAMMED busy. I can understand the complaints about the Hilton EL here, though I was not bothered since I'd already had had dinner. The offerings looked fine, nothing too outstanding though I did note there were poached prawns available.

The rooms are pretty small, though I wasn't bothered as I was just by myself. But this would definitely be a problem if you were more than one (or even 3).

I will also note that the shower in the bathroom is separated from the bedroom with a frosted glass panel so something to keep in mind if traveling with someone who is not as close.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay as preferred to the Sheraton on the Park (where we stayed previously on a NYE trip to Sydney).
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Breakfast at Glass is fine, nothing really to write home about. I think it's outrageously overpriced at $44AUD/head, especially since espresso coffee is $5 extra. I treated some friends to breakfast here (4 total, was planning to pay for the other 2 that were not comped with Diamond status), but the agent working the Glass hostess desk graciously comped all four of our breakfasts.
Completely agree with the breakfast - it's nothing special. I like the yogurt bar in the corner but everything else is pretty standard Hilton breakfast fare when it's served in a restaurant. Drip coffee is the same bland stuff you get across the entire chain.

I will say one hostess did make the distinction between the continental breakfast and the full breakfast which isn't something I've seen at other Hilton properties.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by triplefives
Completely agree with the breakfast - it's nothing special. I like the yogurt bar in the corner but everything else is pretty standard Hilton breakfast fare when it's served in a restaurant. Drip coffee is the same bland stuff you get across the entire chain.

I will say one hostess did make the distinction between the continental breakfast and the full breakfast which isn't something I've seen at other Hilton properties.
Funny you mention the drip. I thought it was overly bland, moreso than when I've had it elsewhere (IIRC the coffee the Hilton Madrid Airport serves has been one of my best "Hilton roasts" unless I was in a honeymoon state of mind).

I like the yogurt bar too, but it's nothing that you wouldn't be able to assemble yourself without a specialized yogurt bar.

They did have a coconut chia seed pudding which was well received by all members of my party.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
They did have a coconut chia seed pudding which was well received by all members of my party.
Ditto!!! Although, for anyone paying with cash, it is definitely not worth the 42 AUD just to eat chia seeds.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I too will add my views of the breakfast as a semi frequent visitor to the hotel - IMHO it's nothing compared to what it was ~5 years ago. Yes it's a nice breakfast and yes it's great as a Diamond benefit but there is no way in the world it's worth the $42 to get in if you're having to pay yourself.

If you are faced with paying $42 you may as well walk to a nearby cafe (which there are plenty) and get yourself broakfast and coffee for half that.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by triplefives
Ditto!!! Although, for anyone paying with cash, it is definitely not worth the 42 AUD just to eat chia seeds.
No definitely not... Now if they would just put the chia seed pudding in the EL then I wouldn't even need to go downstairs
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
As a hotel guest breakfast in Glass is an extra $29 per person, the $42 is for walk ins off the street. I have found the food selection to change little from week to week but the quality is always top notch.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by ozztraveller
As a hotel guest breakfast in Glass is an extra $29 per person, the $42 is for walk ins off the street. I have found the food selection to change little from week to week but the quality is always top notch.
Front desk quoted me $32AUD with the "Diamond" discount if prepaid.

Then we showed up with 4 people and the hostess comped all 4 (even though Diamond only entitled us to 2 complimentary breakfasts). YMMV.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:22 pm

Front desk quoted me $32AUD with the "Diamond" discount if prepaid.

Then we showed up with 4 people and the hostess comped all 4 (even though Diamond only entitled us to 2 complimentary breakfasts). YMMV.
When booking it is $29 but I have not asked in ages what they charge when paying later. I would not be surprised if it is less to ask at Glass instead of the front desk, plus as you found out some staff can be very obliging. Was this on a Monday or Tuesday, as I find the hostess that works these days to be very helpful.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
So I just got one of those emails from Hilton that stalk you after you've searched a property. Today's email says, "Hilton Sydney is waiting for you.... Rates from $157"

Perhaps more of a tech / website question, but how can I find WHEN those dates and rates are available. Sounds downright reasonable compared to the actual $300 ish I'm getting for the days I'm looking for.

I'm going sometime in Aug.

TDM

Last edited by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant; Jul 24, 2017 at 10:12 am
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
So I just got one of those emails from Hilton that stalk you after you've searched a property. Today's email says, "Hilton Sydney is waiting for you.... Rates from $157"

Perhaps more of a tech / website question, but how can I find WHEN those dates and rates are available. Sounds downright reasonable compared to the actual $300 ish I'm getting for the days I'm looking for.

I'm going Aug 2-4.

TDM

Rates at that price would be Friday or sunday nights.Mid week is usually high due to corporate demand. Your best option is to book then check back regularly in case the price drops, especially getting close to your dates.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)

Isn't breakfast free when staying as a Gold? We have a 4 night points stay coming up and we have counted on the free Glass breakfast (if we do not get upgraded to the EL}

DD
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Yup. Otherwise go across the road to Woolies & get a box of cereal

Last edited by kirkwoodj; Jul 22, 2017 at 12:44 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant

I'm going Aug 2-4.

TDM
The lowest I have received is $159 but that was with an AMEX offer that, while booked through the Hilton website, did not receive a stay or points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.