Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Ireland {IRL}

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Ireland {IRL}

Old Apr 6, 00, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Arrow DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Ireland {IRL}

I'm planning a trip to Dublin in late May and thought I'd utilize my newly established Gold (for whatever thats worth) status. It seems there are now 2 Hiltons in the city. A Conrad Hilton International and a supposedly newer Dublin Hilton (formerly Stakis?). Does anyone have an opinion as to which would be a better choice?
Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 00, 11:37 am
BSL

Actually, you might not want to stay in a Hilton in Dublin. Even though I have 200K+ of HHonors points I think that if you are going for pleasure and it it not too expensive, stay in Shelbourne Hotel (it is now a member of the Meridien chain) We stayed in the Georgian part but went to the Shelbourne for afternoon tea and had a marvelous time. Take a look at www.shelbourne.ie the Irish constitution was drafted here.
Also if you are traveling into the country I can give you a reports on two castles. I stayed at Kilkea Castle est. 1180 (I proposed there) has a golf course but did not play. Also stayed at Kinnitty Castle (www.kinnittycastle.com) we made the mistake of getting there late and missing the opportunity to ride horses or participate in any of the other activities. Highly suggest the bar in the basement went down for a pint and happened upon spontaneous singing and Irish dancing WOW!

BSL
If you need more let me know.

[email protected]
Old Apr 6, 00, 11:56 am

Of the two Hilton properties the Conrad is much nicer.

However, I would tend to agree that if I am unlucky enough to have to visit Dublin - it really isn't a place I like - there are better hotels and the Shelbourne is one of them, another is the Merrion.

Nick
Old Apr 8, 00, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Thanks for the info, I've stayed at the Merrion before, and while beautiful it is a little more pricey than I was willing to spend. Currently I've got a reservation at the Fitzwilliam--my husband is coming with me and he likes 'newer' places. I was just thinking about the Hiltons for the points, but I just may forgo it this time.
Old Oct 3, 00, 1:52 am

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
Dublin Hiltons - Any preference

Short notice this one, I have to go to Dublin tommorow, any recommendations as to which Hilton to stay in.

Jon
Old Oct 3, 00, 7:32 am

The Conrad is very nice. (Also very expensive.)
Old Oct 3, 00, 7:47 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/2.992MM And holding - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Plat
I've stayed at the Conrad International on Earlsfort Terrace.
I thought it was a great location if you want to see the central Dublin sights.
Nice property as well.
Old Oct 3, 00, 10:41 am
In Memoriam

Jongar,
I stayed a few nights at the Hilton on the Grand Canal (former Stakis Hotel) two weeks ago. You can check out the trip report http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/001239.html . It's a nice property but a good 20/25 minute walk to Central Dublin. The canal is not exactly as grand as the name suggests. It's basically a drainage ditch now. The hotel has a decent restrauant (had the breakfast buffet that was included in my rate) and a sports bar. The rooms are large for European standards and mine had an office set up with free internet. I did have to have the housekeeping staff find me a keyboard and mouse. I never did get the mouse. The elevators are the coolest part of the hotel since they are very distinctive. They are very long and narrow. There is also a debit refreshment center on each floor where you use your room key as a debit card. The problem I had with the hotel was that I booked it on the Hilton website but they had no record of it. It was a real pain at check-in and check-out. However, the staff is friendly. There a pub next door called the Barge and a better pub called the Bleeding Horse not too far away. The Conrad, which I walked by once, looks much more deluxe and has a better location. Actually, I would suggest staying closer the the center of Dublin than the 2 Hiltons. The Temple Bar section is very hip. The Morgan and The Clarence (which is owned by U2) are very nice hotels in Temple Bar. Other very nice hotels near the Centre include The Merrion, the Fritzwilliam, the Sherlborne (historically famous and now a Le Meridian) and the Gresham (just north of the Liffey). Let me know if you have any other questions. Dublin is a fantastic place but beware, the traffic is crazy.
Old Oct 4, 00, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Conrad would be my choice if price were no object. Spent a week there shortly after it opened. It was very good modern competion to the classic Shelbourne, and as noted, well located to the heart of the city. Just a short walk to most places, yet away from the bustle. Let us know where you've ended up.
Old Nov 6, 01, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 3MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
In Dublin...Hilton or Conrad ???

I'm planning to go to Dublin for a weekend in January. Can't decide between the Hilton or the Conrad (it will be $70/night more for Conrad). Does anyone have any recommendations? I will be Diamond next year, so wondering perhaps where I'll get the best treatment and/or upgrades?

Thanks,
Gene
Old Nov 6, 01, 3:06 pm
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Gene,

When are you planning to go ? I'll be in the Conrad from 25th Jan to 27th.

They are both pretty close to one another, with the Conrad being nearer St. Stephens Green and Grafton St - the main shopping St in Dublin.
The Conrad certainly "shows better" and the rooms in my experience in the Conrad will be a better standard by quite a way.
However, as a Diamond you would almost certainly get an upgrade to an Executive Room in the Hilton. (this property was formerly a Stakis).
Neither location has an Exec Lounge so the room would be more important a consideration in that case.
I have found the Conrad to have a better level of service and marginally better attitude, as I've found the Hilton sometimes can have less competent (experience of Hhonors especially) people.
Not sure what upgrades there are available at the Conrad - maybe some of the newly refurbished rooms ?
Hope this might be of help.
John P.
Old Feb 16, 02, 2:06 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Bump.

Anyone else have information or updates? Thanks!
Old Feb 16, 02, 8:14 pm

Location: new brunswick, new jersey and farmington, conn. USA
i'm a lowly gold and a pretty big fan of the Conrad, if only because it's a much nicer property, and i don't really care about upgrades in tight international markets like Dublin.

plus, i believe the rooms are nicer in the Conrad, with the big honkin' caveat that i've stayed at the Hilton all of once and the Conrad enough times that i had staff members who knew me by name in the late 90s. i'm biased. but it's worth the $70 more, IMHO.
Old May 8, 02, 12:05 pm

Hilton Dublin vs Conrad Dublin

I have never been to these properties...

Would appreciate feedback on them... also chances of being upgraded to executive floor?

At the moment showing nothing less than 150E for Hilton and 205E for Conrad.

thanks
Old May 8, 02, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
You can do a search on Dublin here and find lots of info. I've stayed at the Conrad and it was very nice. I understand they have renovated since then and it's even better.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: