Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Ireland {IRL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Ireland {IRL}

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2003, 9:48 am

What great information!
Thank you so much.

Now we anxiously await a report about the Hilton! Again, our deepest gratitude for the rapid, thorough response.
Old May 15, 2003, 1:15 pm

Hhonorman,

Would you mind posting the email address of the GM for the Conrad Dublin? Or rather, can I email you to get the email address?

We have a 2 night stay coming up there in July and I would like to email the GM to determine what, if any, benefits a lowly HHonors Gold will receive there.

Thanks!
Old May 15, 2003, 2:38 pm

The e-mail address I used successfully for this hotel is

[email protected]

I hope you have good results. Make sure to print out a copy of their response (if it is favorable) and bring it with you. As stated above, even when I had a letter stating that I would get free breakfast, I still had to argue with the receptionist to get this hotel to provide this benefit. If the hotel flat out tells you in writing that they will not provide the benefits listed in the hhonors terms and conditions, you may want to forward a copy of the hotel's reply to Hilton.

[This message has been edited by hhonorman (edited 05-15-2003).]
Old May 16, 2003, 5:37 pm

I stayed at the Hilton Dublin about a year ago and was then a lowly silver, so I can't tell you about if they honor the benefits or not.

Anyway, the hotel itself is very nice and new. It is slightly out of the town centre but is a very manageable 10 min walk down to town. Location wise, it is in front of a canal and in a quiet part of town. If you are looking for some place quiet, this is it.

The staff there are very warm and friendly, doorman and concierge were always around and when they weren't, the front office staff took over. If you're planning some sightseeing, then be prepared to take a short 7 min walk downtown to the nearest pickup location.

Roomswise, the hotel had very nice rooms and I would consider this hotel second best after the Caledonian Hilton in Edinburgh. The beds were comfortable and the pillows just nice. The room was somewhat modern with nice light wood and metal interior and the bathroom was a good size.

As for meals, the restaurant downstairs has a mean BBQ and the local Irish cuisine wasn't too shabby either.

Overall, a nice hotel albeit a little out of town but if you can live with the walking down to town each day, this is a good choice.

Hope this helps... Have a good time!

------------------
Travelling makes the world smaller and friendlier.
Old May 18, 2003, 5:27 am

Did the Conrad have the "trademark" stuffed animal amenity (normally a teddy bear, but in one case a duck)?
Old May 18, 2003, 4:13 pm

No stuffed animals or duckies at the Conrad Dublin.
Old May 19, 2003, 1:41 pm

I have always enjoyed staying at the Conrad Dublin. I like the location, the even basic rooms are decent.

However I have never received free breakfast or the stuffed bear.
Old May 19, 2003, 2:35 pm

When inquiring about the free breakfast and receiving a NO, what do you do?

Shall I print the HHonors guidebook and bring it along for guidance?

Seriously, that's one of the main reasons I choose Hilton over other chains... becuase we are (per the rules) entitled to breakfast or lounge access once inthe VIP program.

Shall I put up a fight... or roll over and take it?

Old May 19, 2003, 3:33 pm

You may try writing to the hotel directly, as I did, and make a polite inquiry about what type of hhonors benefits you can expect to receive as a Gold or Diamond or whatever the case may be. Assuming they reply in a timely fashion and tell you you'll get breakfast, as they did to me, then you can print out their reply and take it with you. When the receptionist tells you "no breakfast" you can say that you have written confirmation that says otherwise. It was a pain in the butt, but it worked for me. Hope it works for you.

Hilton, if you are reading this, WE HATE to have to argue with front desk staff for benefits we're SUPPOSED to receive.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 9:06 am

Trip Report - Conrad Dublin & Mount Juliet Conrad (LONG)

This is my first trip report, apologies for the length. Mr. Wahoo and I just returned from our 10 day vacation through Hiltons in Ireland and the UK. Burning 100,000 Continental miles and 270,000 HiltonHhonors points – we thoroughly enjoyed our stay through Ireland, Edinburgh & London. I will post my trip report on the Edinburgh Hilton Grosvenor and the London Hilton on Park Lane on another thread, in case this gets too long.

Conrad Dublin

After reading the mixed reviews on previous flyertalk postings, I didn’t have huge expectations of this hotel. We flew into the Dublin airport through LGW on Ryan Air and took the AirCoach from the airport to the center of Dublin. A round trip (a return in their speak) cost us 10 Euros a person and dropped us off right near the Conrad Dublin. If you’re looking to take the AirCoach, it’s a big blue bus right out the baggage claim area and says AirCoach in big letters. It leaves the airport every 15 minutes and is as frequent on the return. The only trouble was the traffic getting into Dublin and then having to sit on the bus while it made the numerous stops before getting to our stop at Lower Leeson Street. The driver directed us to hotel once we got off.

Initial impressions of the hotel were average. As I had expected from previous posts, no one came outside of the hotel to help us with our luggage even as I was dragging my wheeled bag up the four or five steps into the hotel, nor did anyone hold the door open for us upon entering the hotel. The hotel is very modern looking and decorated as a modern, business-oriented hotel. At check-in, the front desk agent informed us that our room was ready and that we had been upgraded to a “family room” on the 3rd floor. Everything was running smoothly until I inquired about how we should handle breakfast. I asked whether we would be getting coupons or whether we should just sign for the breakfasts and add it to our room. The rather indignant clerk informed us that since we had gotten an upgrade that breakfast would not be provided. I had read from many previous posts that they have told this to other flyertalkers. The agent went in the back briefly to check on that rule and came back to say that it was either the breakfast or the upgrade. At this point, I presented the clerk with an email I had received back from Lisa O’Dowd, the reservations manager at the Conrad Dublin, stating that our GOLD VIP status entitled both Mr. Wahoo and I to breakfast. The agent continued to insist that since the email from Ms. O’Dowd stated that a “superior” room had been reserved for us but that we were receiving a “family” room, we would receive an upgrade instead of breakfast. Well, of course I had to pull out my copy of the Hilton Hhonors benefits and present to the agent that GOLD VIP benefits did not state an either or policy but rather a policy of both an upgrade and breakfast. After some reviewing of the terms that I handed to the agent, she finally relented and stated that since Ms. O’Dowd’s email stated we would get breakfast, we would get the coupons.

After an exasperating check-in, no one offered to help us with our bags and the agent oh-so kindly informed us that there was a ramp behind us for which we could use to drag our own bags up to our room. The room was rather large for European standards, modernly decorated with modern furnishings and fixtures. The bathroom was a shower/tub combo but was rather large. There isn’t much of a view anywhere from the hotel, so the lack of view from our room didn’t bother us much. As I suspected, I saw many other rooms on our floor during housekeeping hours and it appeared as if all the rooms were similar to ours. I doubt we received any sort of upgrade in room type at all. The room was well decorated, large and very comfortable. Great place to relax after a long walking day through Dublin.

The hotel is more oriented for the business traveler rather than the tourist. The location is not terrible but is not centrally located in the heart of the tourist areas in Dublin. The Conrad is on the southeast corner of St. Stephen’s Green and was about a 7-10 minute walk through the Green to Grafton Street and the other trendy areas of Dublin. We did not mind the location as Dublin is a VERY walkable city and nothing is really that far away. Breakfast was a buffet breakfast consisting of a Full Irish Breakfast – the standard breakfast fares of Ireland. However, the service at breakfast was horrible – I had to ask for tea after having servers walk past our table 3 or 4 times without even acknowledging our existence. I’ve never encountered such bad service at what is suppose to be one a high-end hotel. I’ve stayed at my shares of Four Seasons and Ritz Carltons and this Conrad just cannot compare in terms of service. It appears that they try to be a high-end hotel, offering such things as turn down service, free shoe-shines, etc., but what makes a top hotel great is IMHO the service of the staff.

Anyway, our stay was rather superb or subpar. It cost us 60,000 points for 2 nights under the old system and it was well worth the points. As I mentioned earlier, location is not ideal but was fine for everything we wanted to do. Checkout was equally unimpressive and again no one offered to help with our bags. However, the nice older gentleman doorman (who’s picture is featured on the website and on many of the brochures) was very attentive and helpful in giving us directions back toward the AirCoach.

Mount Juliet Conrad

In one word – AWESOME!!! We left Dublin and drove southeast to county Kilkenny where the Mount Juliet is located. It took about 2 ½ - b/c Irish “highways” are just not what you think of in the U.S. and most of the time we were driving on local, single-lane roads. Always add extra time for driving in Ireland b/c of the roads and potential traffic.

Once we got to the Mount Juliet, everything in the world was fine. It is a beautiful, tranquil and well-appointed country estate. If you enjoy this kind of vacation and want to see the Irish countryside while staying at a large, wonderful place with as many or as few activities as you want, this is the place. Mr. Wahoo and I can’t say enough good things about it.

We arrived and had to figure out where reception was as there are 3 areas where you can stay at the Mount Juliet. You can stay in the main house, which is featured on the website, where I believe the 32 rooms are all different. Or you can stay in the Rose Garden Lodges which are suited for longer stay guests as they are more like time-shares with kitchens. We stayed at the Hunter’s Yard which was formerly the stable house, but now has 16 rooms to stay in. Because this was an award stay (100K points for 3 nights in a premium – I believe it’s a category 5 now), I’m not sure what they would have given us if I didn’t ask to stay in the Hunter’s Yard. I believe the main house offers more sumptuous accommodations but the Hunter’s Yard was a better location for our use of the spa & gym facilities, the golfing facilities, the more casual restaurant Kendals and the 2 pubs at the estate. Our room at the Hunter’s Yard had a king bed and a small balcony where we kept the doors open most of the time for the fresh air. The room furnishings were fine and the bathroom, although slightly small was fine. We received a very nice note from the GM welcoming us, a box of Irish chocolates, a bowl of fruit and small bottles of sparkling & still water (which were replenished every day during cleaning).

The receptionist was quite friendly, helpful and welcoming. No argument about breakfast as he said it was included in the rate and we did not need any coupons. I’m not sure if this was b/c we were there at high season and all rates included the full Irish breakfast. We had a choice of either having breakfast at the casual restaurant near the Hunter’s Yard or in the fine-dining restaurant (Lady Helen’s) in the main house. We tried both and both were excellent. Both had hot and cold offering and options to choose from the kitchen menu in case the buffet offerings were not to your liking. We also had dinner in Kendals twice – and were very pleasantly surprised at the quality of cuisine. There was a variety of offerings on the menu and both our meals there were terrific. My 3 course pre-fixe meal for 26 euros (which changes daily depending on the menu) was outstanding and probably the best deal for the quality of the meal.

The estate has numerous activities to entertain guests. We thoroughly used the gym and pool facilities as well as the golfing range, putting greens and golf course. This place is a golfer’s dream – we played the Jack Nicklaus designed course which hosted the American Express championship last year where Tiger Woods won. Of course we didn’t play from the tees that the pro’s did (reaching over 7,200 yards). There were also many other activities which we didn’t do such as horse riding, tennis, clay pigeon shooting, archery, and angling (fishing for those of us who don’t know better). If you are a rider, it appears that the 1500-acre estate is at your disposal. We saw many riders galloping through the estate as we were playing golf and during walks around. Seemed like a great place to ride a horse, if I only knew how!

The hunter’s yard offered 2 casual pubs to relax in any time of the day. We were in the pubs a lot, whether it was for afternoon tea or for an after dinner pint or drink. It was such a warm and welcoming environment. Even in August, which I assume is peak season – the estate never seemed crowded or overly-busy. The staff was friendly, helpful and great in every way. I can’t say enough good things about this place and I know I’m leaving out a lot for the sake of length.

If you have questions about either place, please let me know! I can’t write down all my thoughts in just one report. We didn’t want to leave the Mount Juliet and Mr. Wahoo was already planning our return trip as soon as drove out of the estate.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 9:56 am
Suspended

I agree that the Mount Juliet is one of the best Hiltons anywhere. I had an excellent reward stay there in Oct 2002.
We very lucky to be upgraded to the main house and got a upstairs corner room/suite looking directly (uphill) to the 4th tee.

Two incidents which left me very impressed with the service at this property was
a) one night we returned too late to have dinner but shortly after the dining room had closed( you have to elect to have dinner in the main house Lady Helens in advance) However one of the staff took upon himself to confiscate from the kitchen two left-over entrees and dessert for us at no cost.
b) As you can/will see the property has had a long tradition in Ireland and British horse-racing ( which happens to be one of my great loves) and is still an important and working thoroughbred stud-farm. One night after dinner I got talking with the head of Chiron's Irish medical team (the large US pharmacetical company which has a large medical research department in Ireland) and the discussion inevitably turned to turned to racing of which he is also a big fan.
As the evening progressed he decided to introduce me to his favorite single malt whiskies (at his expense of-course) Net effect we were the only patrons in the bar until 200am with the server/bartender providing drinks cheerfully with no signs of being put off by being kept up 3 our so hours after closing time.
mike
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
Wow! We're spending the first 3 nights of our honeymoon at the Mt. Juliet in October.

Nice to know that they have horseback riding. Did you happen to notice if they allow you to take the horses out on your own, or are they guided rides with trail nags?

With all the good things I've heard about this place, I'm really looking forward to this stay.

How far is it to Waterford from the hotel?

How about the West side of the island? We are going to the ring of Kerry area for 2 days after we check out of Mt. Juliet.

Any other advice you have for a couple of honeymooners in Ireland would be great.

Thanks,
Mike
Old Aug 14, 2003, 11:19 am
Suspended

FyinI will try to answer some of your questions ( though I am not sure they were directed specifically at me)

Horse-back - Mt Juliet
I just happen have a 30 page color booklet I picked during my stay with some prices etc
a) Equestrian ” under the guidance of expert instructors programmes can be tailored to the needs of individual riders and groups ... choose between trail riding, lessons in dressage show jumping....or the exhilaration of one of the most picturesque cross country courses in Ireland.
Rate per hour : Trekking ( in euros) 45, Instructions 57, Pony and Trap 76

The property is a 30 miles from Waterford ( but you find by driving anywhere in Ireland that it will take an hour. One other item of note is if you are going through Waterford or anywhere west (and passing through Waterford) traffic is pretty slow between 700am and 1000am most mornings which complicated by the fact all traffic crosses a draw-bridge which is raised I believe
every morning at 900 am. So to get anywhere its imperative to get an early start since most sites requiring admission close at 500PM, plus you will be driving on the left, no free-ways and mostly single lane traffic at 20 mph or less

We did half the Ring-of Kerry (got as far as Kenmore and back) but from Mount Juliet it took all day (hence we were late for dinner in my post above)
Also drive the Ring anti-clockwise so you don’t get stuck behind the myriads of tour busses.

One book I would highly recommend is Ireland’s Best Driving Tours by Frommer it breaks up the island in to 24 drives half or one day circular trips it was invaluable for our trip.
E-mail me if you think I might be able to assist you more.

mike
Old Aug 14, 2003, 12:47 pm

FlyinMike - I'll try to add a little more to Milesilv's answer.

I'm not sure about taking the horses on your own as I am not a rider (although I wish I was just for this one stay). But we did see one guy out by himself riding along one of the paths near the tee box on the golf course. He was alone and I saw no guide in site. We saw another group of 3 woman riding through the parking lot near the main house but they didnt' seem to be getting any instruction or direction. You can email the Equestrian Manager and ask specific questions prior to your honeymoon. www.mountjuliet.ie - great resource of information. I also emailed the reservations manager before we left to confirm our room and where we wanted to stay. They were always prompt with their replies.

We went to Waterford during our 3 night stay there. It took about 45 minutes on a Saturday morning. There was no traffic but I guess that there would be more on a weekday. I would also recommend going to the town of Kilkenny while your at the Mount Juliet, only 10 miles away, it is a great Irish town with lots of pubs, restaurants and things to see. I recommend the tour of the Kilkenny Castle, very neat.

Sorry I can't comment on the western half of Ireland as we jetted off to Edinburgh and London for the second half of our trip (hilton hotels report to follow).

Have a terrific honeymoon and I hope you enjoy the Mount Juliet as much as we did. One last thing, I found the Mount Juliet to VERY reasonable in terms of food, drink & activities unlike some other resort locations.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
Thanks for the quick replies!

I do have the Fommer's Ireland's best driving tours book. That is what made us decide to go to the west for a couple of days. We're staying at a B&B in Kenmare after we leave the Mt. Juliet so we can see the ring of Kerry and hopefully the Dingle penninsula. We've also been TiVo-ing Rick Steve's series on Europe on PBS to get some more info as well. After dingle, we spend 2 days in Dublin, then it's off to Greece for a week!

It does sound like they may actually allow us to go on non-guided trail rides as well. It's just too much of a liability issue here in the US I guess. I don't ride much anymore, but I did grow up on a farm, so I know horses pretty well. My fiancee had a horse as a kid as well.

Just to be sure, I splurged and reserved a car with an auto trans (even though it's twice the price in Ireland). I've driven in England and Scottland before, and I only made the passengers scream on occasion, so I think I'm OK there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.