Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Ireland {IRL}

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Ireland {IRL}

Old Mar 20, 2007, 2:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
The Hilton Dublin is not a bad hotel and the staff are very good. Not a good place to stay in the summer though as there is no AC and the location is noisy so sleeping with the windows open is not a good option.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 2:59 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
No aircon ?!? The rooms are 200 euros for a fully flex rate for gods sake, even advance purchase is 140 euro ++. I've seen residences / auberges and such that dont have aircon, just a portable or ceiling fan. But anything four or five star does have good AC. First trip to dublin though - most of my trips around europe are to France and Switzerland.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by hserus
No aircon ?!? The rooms are 200 euros for a fully flex rate for gods sake, even advance purchase is 140 euro ++. I've seen residences / auberges and such that dont have aircon, just a portable or ceiling fan. But anything four or five star does have good AC. First trip to dublin though - most of my trips around europe are to France and Switzerland.
I have witnessed many puzzled American tourists having heated discussions at reception over this. To be honest it's not uncommon for UK and Eire hotels not to have AC even though we are having very hot summers - just stupid IMO.

Last summer I saw a very angry woman complaining because her daughter had very bad asthma. She made such a stink that they moved her to the Conrad for the same rate.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP
Did you consider the Conrad?

About 10 notches above the Holiday Inn, oh, I meant Hilton.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:48 am

And about 150% costlier than the Hilton.

How's this new kilmainham property, and does it, at least, have a working aircon? Or as its 20..25 EUR cheaper than the Hilton Dublin, am I to assume that it too doesnt have anything of that sort?

If it comes to a choice between rooms without aircon I might just as well pick the cheaper property. Or just go stay at a B&B for a fraction of the rate.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:57 am

Oh by the way - how far is the Kilmainham from the Jury's Doyle / Upper Leeson St - Looks like about a mile or so from the hilton website.. walkable, or is there a direct bus of some sort?
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
How's this new kilmainham property, and does it, at least, have a working aircon ?
As you've seen on the website, it doesn't open until next month

Oh by the way - how far is the Kilmainham from the Jury's Doyle / Upper Leeson St - Looks like about a mile or so from the hilton website.. walkable, or is there a direct bus of some sort?
It's about four miles, the location on the website is totally inaccurate. There is no direct bus, you would have to change in the city centre.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:50 am

Well, I thought it was an existing property of some kind that got rebranded as a Hilton, rather than a brand new hotel. If it is 4 miles, how much would that be by cab, and how long would it take in typical morning / evening Dublin traffic?

thanks
srs
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:11 am

Well, I thought it was an existing property of some kind that got rebranded as a Hilton, rather than a brand new hotel. If it is 4 miles, how much would that be by cab, and how long would it take in typical morning / evening Dublin traffic?

thanks
srs
You know, I might be a local, but I honestly can't remember the last time I took a cab, so I've no idea
Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:48 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, BA Executive Blue, IHG Platinum Elite,Kimpton.

thanks
srs

Personally think it is too far . As mentioned no direct bus and to be honest bus service in Dublin is poor.

As for taking a taxi, you would be looking at approx 12 Euro. You would be in the traffic both moring and evening and would say you are looking at 20-40 mins.

The hilton on the canal is much closer and so would make more sense as you can walk in 5 mins. Though note standard would not be up to say Hilton Cardiff.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I was not impressed by the Conrad when I was there for the FT Dublin Do in 2006. It was something like 210 Euro for a weekend night, so I used a Cat 5 award instead. Virtually no Diamond recognition, the rooms were well appointed but very small, service was meh except for the bellmen.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I was not impressed by the Conrad when I was there for the FT Dublin Do in 2006. It was something like 210 Euro for a weekend night, so I used a Cat 5 award instead. Virtually no Diamond recognition, the rooms were well appointed but very small, service was meh except for the bellmen.
I stayed there 3 times and each and every time I was upgraded to a Jr. Suite, (rooms # x27) with wine and chocolates and breakfast coupon. I love the Dublin Conrad.

No lounge is the only serious negative about this place. The service in the lobby bar can use some improvement. The location is great.

btw, I never paid a penny for the room as all 3 times were award bookings.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:09 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
You know, I might be a local, but I honestly can't remember the last time I took a cab, so I've no idea
Be nice, the people that use cabs are propping up your celtic tiger.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 3:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LuckyTarget
I stayed there 3 times and each and every time I was upgraded to a Jr. Suite, (rooms # x27) with wine and chocolates and breakfast coupon. I love the Dublin Conrad.

No lounge is the only serious negative about this place. The service in the lobby bar can use some improvement. The location is great.

btw, I never paid a penny for the room as all 3 times were award bookings.

Wow your handle is right you are a lucky b8gger

I've stayed there a few times at rack rate and at our corporate rate and never had a suite As Diamond I have had the complimentary breakfast but sometimes had to ask

The lounge bar is dreadful and if it's quiet they close very early. Overall I have found the staff OK but the only Irish accent you hear is when you talk to the bellman.

Taxis in Dublin IME can be very expensive and they take their own sweet time. I often travel to one customer from the Conrad and I don't think I've ever been taken the same route so journey time and cost has varied tremendously
Old Mar 21, 2007, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by NWA747SNN
Be nice, the people that use cabs are propping up your celtic tiger.
There was nothing meant by the comment, I just haven't taken a taxi in years. If I'm not on foot, which is normal for me, I drive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.