Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Malaysia {MYS}

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Malaysia {MYS}

Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: SQ KF, A3 Gold, CI Dynasty, UA MileagePlus, ANA AMC, HH Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
The tax is implemented by the government, not Hilton.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by Srisarin
And this “big deal” is over a $2.35 tax
It is the principle that counts here, besides 2.35 per stay racks up to a big amount for Hilton.

Originally Posted by RCTP
The tax is implemented by the government, not Hilton.
Isn't that always the case with tax or do you have an example of a tax that is implemented by Hilton? I doubt it..

And on award stays tax should not be charged to the customer, a free night is a free night and not a free night excluding tax. That is the case all over the world.

Globalist
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Globalist
It is the principle that counts here, besides 2.35 per stay racks up to a big amount for Hilton.

Isn't that always the case with tax or do you have an example of a tax that is implemented by Hilton? I doubt it..

And on award stays tax should not be charged to the customer, a free night is a free night and not a free night excluding tax. That is the case all over the world.

Globalist
Exactly. In my case I frequently have award stays of 2-4 weeks at this or other Hilton Malyasia properities. Quickly adds up. Plus it's a principle. If this franchise gets away with it now, it wont be long till other properties are demanding the same treatment.

Also in my case Hilton Corporate had previous told them they can't charge any taxes/fees to the customer. However they've chosen to do so.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:07 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Only the $2.35 doesn’t stay with Hilton but passed on to Malaysian government so this, or any other Malaysian Hilton aren’t benefitting $0.01.

Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Only the $2.35 doesn’t stay with Hilton but passed on to Malaysian government so this, or any other Malaysian Hilton aren’t benefitting $0.01.
As is the case with any tax Hilton is liable for and does not get charged by Hilton. For example the tourist tax in the Netherlands. It gets added to normal stays as an addition but not on reward stays. It still has to be paid by Hilton but does not get charged to the customer.

The principle is still, a free night should be just that. A free night.

Globalist.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:30 am
Suspended

Guess on award stays you refuse resort fees too !?
Being that free ain’t free then

And if my geography is correct, the Netherlands isn’t part of Malaysia, and what they might do, or not do, in NL does not govern what they are doing in MYR

As is the case with any tax Hilton is liable for and does not get charged by Hilton. For example the tourist tax in the Netherlands. It gets added to normal stays as an addition but not on reward stays. It still has to be paid by Hilton but does not get charged to the customer.

The principle is still, a free night should be just that. A free night.

Globalist.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:37 am
Suspended

Hilton Corporate does not overrule Malaysian Law in Malaysia.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Exactly. In my case I frequently have award stays of 2-4 weeks at this or other Hilton Malyasia properities. Quickly adds up. Plus it's a principle. If this franchise gets away with it now, it wont be long till other properties are demanding the same treatment.

Also in my case Hilton Corporate had previous told them they can't charge any taxes/fees to the customer. However they've chosen to do so.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Hilton Corporate does not overrule Malaysian Law in Malaysia.
You've chosen to ignore the whole premise of conversation. NO one has said the fee doesn't apply. The fee does indeed apply. However the hotel is the one that must pay the fee on an award stay. Again for clarity, the customer isn't to be billed on an award stay. Instead the hotel is billed.
sebseb likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
I was under impression Hilton had told hotel they must cover any taxes/fees when on an award stay.
Your argument seems to turn on that point. While taxes etc are rarely charged on award stays is there ant definitive statement from Hilton that they cannot be?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by turtlemichael
Your argument seems to turn on that point. While taxes etc are rarely charged on award stays is there ant definitive statement from Hilton that they cannot be?
Per Honors Reservations the description for an all points award includes fact that all taxes and fees are included.

Also note the property is not even correctly including the tax when booking a cash reservation. The tax should be included by deafault and then removed if exempt by hotel. However they've decided to to leave the tax off and then suprise customers at hotel. They try to justify this by including in email confirmation (which you dont get if booking by phone or through third party) a statement in the announcements section about tax.

All together rather scummy business practice and in some jurisdictions violation of total sale price rules. All done to give false appearance of being 10MYR cheaper than really is.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:03 am
Suspended

and, per The ROYAL MALAYSIAN CUSTOMS DEPARTMENT General Guide on Tourism Tax revised as at 31 August 2017 is withdrawn and replaced by the General Guide on Tourism Tax dated as at 26 September 2017.

IMPOSITION AND RATE OF TOURISM TAX
11. TTx is a tax charged and levied on a tourist staying at any accommodation premises made available by an operator at the rate of tax fixed at RM 10.00 per room per night. It is the duty of the tourist to pay TTx* to the operator.

* TTx defined supra as Tourist Tax

but I'm sure some will think that Hilton rules provide a pretext for violating Malaysian law.

[QUOTE=flyerCO;28906864]Per Honors Reservations the description for an all points award includes fact that all taxes and fees are included.

Also note the property is not even correctly including the tax when booking a cash reservation. The tax should be included by deafault and then removed if exempt by hotel. However they've decided to to leave the tax off and then suprise customers at hotel. They try to justify this by including in email confirmation (which you dont get if booking by phone or through third party) a statement in the announcements section about tax.

QUOTE]
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Guess on award stays you refuse resort fees too !?
Being that free ain’t free then

And if my geography is correct, the Netherlands isn’t part of Malaysia, and what they might do, or not do, in NL does not govern what they are doing in MYR
The example of the Netherlands is a comparison how Hilton deals with taxes imposed on the organisation by a government and not charging to a customer. Just as is happening in Malaysia but Hilton seems to offload that charge to the customer anyway.

Resort fees are not a tax but a construct by Hilton to add a cost outside the normal room rate. That said there are many voices that feel this is also a gimmick for Hilton to charge on free nights.

Globalist
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

[QUOTE=Srisarin;28906930]and, per The ROYAL MALAYSIAN CUSTOMS DEPARTMENT General Guide on Tourism Tax revised as at 31 August 2017 is withdrawn and replaced by the General Guide on Tourism Tax dated as at 26 September 2017.

11. TTx is a tax charged and levied on a tourist staying at any accommodation premises made available by an operator at the rate of tax fixed at RM 10.00 per room per night. It is the duty of the tourist to pay TTx* to the operator.

but I'm sure some will think that Hilton rules provide a pretext for violating Malaysian law.

Per Honors Reservations the description for an all points award includes fact that all taxes and fees are included.

QUOTE]
You do realize the same is true of sales tax? Ie just because the vendor doesn't charge it doesn't mean it's not still due from customer.

In this case the hotel should be charging it, but should be paid by the hotel. Ie like the NL tourism tax is on award stays in NL.

Nothing in there says the hotel can't pay tge tax on behalf of customer.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Srisarin, there are dozens if not HUNDREDS of GOVERNMENT imposed taxes around the World that are covered by Hilton when redeeming a free hotel stay. No one is saying that your precious Malaysian law should be "violated", just that the Hilton in oh so beautiful Johor Bahru, should be taking care of it, as do any other Hiltons on Earth that also have such taxes.

and BTW, having stayed at many Hilton resorts around the World on award stays, no, I have never been charged a "resort fee" when on an award stay.
sebseb likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:37 pm
jxd

and, per The ROYAL MALAYSIAN CUSTOMS DEPARTMENT General Guide on Tourism Tax revised as at 31 August 2017 is withdrawn and replaced by the General Guide on Tourism Tax dated as at 26 September 2017.

Yeah, so taxes in other parts of the world aren't imposed by the government?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.