Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Malaysia {MYS}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Malaysia {MYS}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
Originally Posted by puchong
There are two HGIs in KL, one named North and the other South. Does anyone know whether consecutive night stays at one followed by the other are posted as separate stays or as one stay only?
They are 2 different hotels so obviously 2 separate stays (or more if you switch hotels every night).
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Interesting. The South one is yet to open (scheduled 1 Nov 2018).
Geographically it appears to be North-West from the current HGI, across the road in what presumably was Plaza Tar (at least that has the address number for 452 Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman North).
While close to each other an seemingly sharing gym facilities, as above id expect separate stays.

Combined with the DT KL and the Hilton PJ, definitely making KL good for mattress runs.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:51 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Two different properties on the same block. Opening has been delayed for quiet a bit for one of them and was hoping to get the opening bonus points with the miles and more promo guess that won't be possible now.
​​
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Comparison of 4 Hilton properties in Kuala Lumpur

Just finishing up staying multiple nights in KL and thought I'd share my thoughts and comparison. Ranked in order of my preference.

Check-in

1. Hilton KL - asked to be keyed to the EL where I checked in. I was sent an email in advance asking about needs and time of arrival. Did OLCI and selected their room choice thinking it would be ready on my 1400 arrival. It was not so I asked about a corner room and was given the corner on the top floor.

2. Hilton PJ - front desk check-in. Nothing special, short wait.

3. HGI North - front desk check-in. Only one person working and could have been a disaster as this is appears to primarily be a tour hotel. Was given an upgrade to corner room with view. Buses in front of hotel so difficult to park close. Only stairs to the lobby and then only stairs to the elevators. Seriously poor design given there is no bell service.

4. Doubletree KL - front desk check-in. Did OLCI and selected an upgraded suite which turned out to be a smoking suite. They wouldn't/couldn't assign another suite or terraces. Given exec room. Had to go to three different rooms to finally get one that had a working TV.

Room

1. Hilton KL - The corner rooms are sort of suite like. Nice design. Multi adaptor plugs. Nice bathroom. Quiet. Temp only goes down to 20C which could be a problem during higher temp/sunnier days. Medium soft bed. Very quiet.

2. Doubletree - Pretty standard, nothing exceptional. Second day was upgraded to a suite which was nicer. A bit sloppy on housekeeping.

3. Hilton PJ - Standard room. Bed hard as a rock and didn't sleep well as a result. Good housekeeping and always 4 bottles of water a day.

4. HGI - Corner room with tower view. Only one plug bedside that needs an adaptor. Very hot and smelly at check-in, full A/C brings it down but not completely and is noisy. Room is a "queen" but really is twin size and not adequate for two people, well, maybe for some. ;-)

Breakfast

1. Hilton KL - Good selection, adequate space, decent quality.

2. Hilton PJ - Similar but not quite as good as Hilton.

3. Doubletree - first morning was so crowded with tour groups there were lines at all stations and many dishes empty. Went to EL and ordered eggs over easy and after waiting 20+ minutes got two that could be used for skeet shooting. I started eating at 9:00 or later and was much better.

4. HGI - just crap.

EL

1. Hilton KL - Better quality of food but did get crowded and was 90% occupied when I arrived 10 minutes before F&B service. No self poor. Service for either very bad or very good. I routinely ignored for drink refills by the Malaysian staff (two that were working during my stay) and needed to go to the bar and asked which seemed to irritate them and resulted in a short pour. Didn't seem to have this problem with the European staff. Just an observation. Helpful staff during the day.

2. Hilton PJ - Adequate food and selection. 4 basic liquor self pour. Friendly staff. No children allowed during alcohol service.

3. Doubletree - Decent food. They put out a selection of 4 liquor bottles which all are empty and you have to order. Lounge was packed so had to stand next to the kitchen door to grab a server for a drink. Not really sure of the purpose behind this other than to reduce alcohol consumption.

4. HGI - No EL but was told about happy hour on the roof top of the South building. Went there and they only had one type of beer (28 ringgit) and many food selections not available. Left without ordering. The North has a restaurant but no lights on during dinner time (5-10pm). Given breakfast quality I wouldn't eat here.

Cost

1. HGI - $35/nt

2. Hilton PJ - $50/nt

3. Doubletree - $60/nt

4. Hilton KL - $70/nt.

IMO, the quality and service has deteriorated a lot but the prices are better. Would not stay at the HGI again or the PJ due to hard bed.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Thanks for the write-up. I have a booking at the PJ Hilton next month, so the relative comparisons are interesting. Did the PJ Hilton bother to upgrade you? The tripadvisor reviews filtered by "diamond" are all over the place. Some mention suite upgrades and others mention nothing at all. I am debating whether to do a "my custom upgrade" for US$38/nt from the standard room* to the King Deluxe Suite.

*base rate of US$70 including taxes/fees
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Its funny, I found the EL lounge more enjoyable at PJ than I did at KL Hilton

I did not get an upgrade while I was at PJ but did every time at KL

The gym at PJ is older and has that feel, the one at KL is newer but far more crowded.

I did not like the main breakfast at the restaurant at KL and stayed up at the lounge. Never tried the restaurant breakfast at PJ.

Neither is a good walking hotel to explore if you want something to eat. Grab is great for that, though.

I have not tried the DT personally. The FT reviews have been less than stellar.

Good review though, if I am back in KL next year, I will have to branch out to the other ones. The one at KL Sentral is just so convenient
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Amelorn
Some mention suite upgrades and others mention nothing at all. I am debating whether to do a "my custom upgrade" for US$38/nt from the standard room* to the King Deluxe Suite.

*base rate of US$70 including taxes/fees
I had always been upgraded at the PJ in the past but not this time. Technically Deluxe plus to the Deluxe plus executive is an upgrade but really is only the matter of a higher floor. If hard beds matter it might be worth calling the hotel to see if there are other choices.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
For the HGI I found it passable at the rates they charge for a short 1-nighter or so. I don't bother eating there and use nothing but the room. I asked for a room away from major tour group guests and it worked for the times I stayed.

I actually suggested to the GM to consider making North part all tour group and South one all individual guests if that works out, but of course no guarantees. For my longer KL stays I stay at the Inter-Continental as the DT is just awful these days.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I had a stay at the HGI North last month. Experienced none of the issues reported here. I was upgraded to a corner room on the 12 floor with view of Petronas Towers. Very nice and fairly large room with and large bathroom (good shower). For the low rates at this property, it was a steal IMO. But I agree; breakfast was very medicore - however, the little Indian girl working the breakfast shifts was very friendly/talkative and seemed to greet and treat everyone well.

I didn't notice any large tour groups during my stay (4 nights). I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again; especially considering the rates you pay.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Wow, consider yourself lucky. During my last two stays at HGI Noth (just before South opened) there were 2 busses once and 4 busses the second time offloading tour groups. Reception was chaos and I was lucky to just have beaten the ensuing pile up around the front desk accompanied by the usual noise levels that happen when such large groups communicate across the entire open space .
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR

I didn't notice any large tour groups during my stay (4 nights).
I could have been mistaken but the large bus in front of the hotel and the 25 Chinese repacking their bags on the steps to the elevator making it impassable made me think it was a tour group finishing a shopping spree but I've never been that observant.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
This might be old news, but first for me: now that both the KL HGIs are open, I'm seeing them for 8k points/night vs. 18k for the HGI North some time back.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:22 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold

5 new hilton properties announced...

The last one is HGI Johor Bahru

Nice additions..
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by SuloL
This might be old news, but first for me: now that both the KL HGIs are open, I'm seeing them for 8k points/night vs. 18k for the HGI North some time back.
Why would you pay 8k points for a room when the rate is around MYR 100++?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:15 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cln
5 new hilton properties announced...

The last one is HGI Johor Bahru

Nice additions..
Wish they'd had the Conrad available on my recent trip. The Hilton PJ was fine--but I'd like to have collected another bear.

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Why would you pay 8k points for a room when the rate is around MYR 100++?
Exactly. My stay involved the Conrad in Singapore (paid points, as the rooms were $450+ SGD on the dates I wanted), and the Hilton PJ (paid $$ as it was MYR-350-ish, or well within what I'd pay for a Hampton Inn in the US). I'd never waste points on a 100 Ringitt rate! That's $22-ish... horrid value for points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.