Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Newark Penn Station {US-NJ} (formerly Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Newark Penn Station {US-NJ} (formerly Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 1999, 9:19 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Newark Penn Station {US-NJ} (formerly Hilton)

Had an interesting experience tonight at this property.

1. They charged me for parking. No mention of this on the web, nothing noted about it by my travel agent. No comping for Gold folks. It would have been cheaper to stay at the Airport Hilton (both room rate and free parking)

2. Checked in and asked for an upgraded room if available. Was told they only had one upgrade room but it was next to the elevator. Having had my share of elevator rooms, I declined the upgrade (one night, no big deal). However, I did ask if I could have access to the executive loungue for breakfast. I figured since the upgrade was available, I would have been entitled to it anyway. The check-in agent told me no, that I would have to pay $20 to have access to the loungue. Well, breakfast to me is not worth $20. It would have been nice to have received access since the only reason I declined the upgrade was due to the proximity to the elevator.

Thoughts on #2?

--Jim
Old Oct 12, 1999, 6:55 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Having stayed here before, I can confirm that this property is not one of Hilton's "gems"!

I'd have been somewhat tempted to take the upgrade or surely you could have argued that lounge access is reasonable in this situation with the manager or shift supervisor if you are so inclined. It's aggravating though! I recommend avoiding this place since the trains rumble through all night anyway. The Hilton Airport started out as a Vista and is better in my opinion. For a longer stay if you can do it, just go a few miles (~6) west to the Hilton at Short Hills. That place is a gem!
Old Oct 12, 1999, 7:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I stayed there last year with my neice and it was horrible. Snooty front desk staff and no services to speak of. Room service didn't open until 7:00 a.m. and our flight left at 6:30 a.m.
In the middle of the night, heard some people going through the hall laughing and carrying on and trying to open doors.
Never again.
Old Oct 12, 1999, 11:57 am
Commander Catcop

JIMBOLIGUY... I wish you had told me about that you were considering staying here.

FIRST: I would write HILTON a long letter about the experience you had. the least they can do is some type of "we're sorry voucher."

I went here for an event a few years ago and it was horrid then and from the reports is horrid now. This is the place business people go when they can't get into the airport properties.

Newark is becoming a better city. They need a better HILTON than this.

For my money: the Marriott by EWR or the SHeraton or the Hilton by the airprot.

There's also a Doubletree suites in my HOMETOWN of Jersey City. I have NOT stayed here yet but two business men friends of mine said it was fine.

If you ahve a car: go to the Hilton Short Hills and take a few hours to be pampered at the spa. In fact Hilton should give you a comp certificate to go to this spa because after your Gateway experience you need it!
Old Oct 12, 1999, 5:23 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Catman -- it was a last minute arrangement. In fact, I asked my Sec'y to put me in the Airport Hilton but it was not available. I usually book my own hotels, but ran out of time this time to do it. Next time, I will make sure I arrange my travel myself.

--Jim
Old Oct 13, 1999, 10:41 pm
Original Member

I am in agreement. The Gateway Hilton is a very mediocre hotel, in need of major renovation of both the physical facilities and the staff attitude. stayed there a few months ago, and got no recognition of being a Gold VIP. No upgraded room, and was treated fairly rudely by the front desk. Would only stay there if I have to, such as an early meeting there in Newark, but will explore alternatives next time.
Old Jun 12, 2000, 12:59 pm
Original Member

Hilton Newark Penn Station

The newyark gatway hilton if you cash in enougt points to stay three can you pay for upgrade to the conerierge floor and if so how munch

------------------
emmett w. smith jr.
Old Jun 12, 2000, 2:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I am looking forward to your own answer to your question, after you have asked hilton directly. thank you my friend from the very first days on FlyerTalk.

Old Jun 15, 2000, 1:03 pm
Original Member

I am looking for the anwser to that one I forgot to ask

------------------
emmett w. smith jr.
Old Jun 15, 2000, 1:06 pm

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
I have to admit I am at a loss
Old Jun 15, 2000, 1:07 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I dont know the answer to your question -- but I can tell you that I was not impressed with the Newark Gateway Hilton at all -- the airport location seems to be nicer.

--Jim
Old Jun 15, 2000, 1:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Yeah, not a great property. But, it's right across the street from the PATH station which is handy for getting to/fro downtown Manhattan. Plus, I was able to get a room for $75 on short notice.
Old Jun 17, 2000, 6:44 am
Commander Catcop

I have never been to newyark. What country is it in?

And you could get a rule book from HHonors and that could answer your question.

Old Jun 17, 2000, 10:52 pm

Newyark is NOT in New Jersey!!! IT'S NEWARK - ONLY ONE SYLLABLE!! (when said correctly)

BTW, call the hotel. I can almost guarantee no one here can give you a 100% accurate answer.
Old Jun 18, 2000, 7:43 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
where's nancy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.