Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Definitive “No-Show” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive “No-Show” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by artyam
Could I book a hotel, pre-pay, and receive points/credit for stay? I need one more stay for the year and can't physically go? Thanks so much!!!
What you are writing has nothing to do with pre/post-paid. You are writing about a phantom stay and we all know that there won't be any point's and/or night credit granted for that.

What you may do: Book a room under your name, add a second person there and have the second person to check-in. This may get you points and night credits!

I am currently in Warsaw. PM me if you want me to check-in for you.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:20 am

Programs: HH Diamond, VS Au, BA Mauve
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a query:

I have a cheap pre paid rate in a Hampton near London this weekend

My plans have changed, and I don't want to trek across london to stay here

I'm assuming that I can check in, and either:

1. Just walk straight out of the hotel
2. Check out immediately after

Thoughts?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by woggledog

Thoughts?
Welcome to FT!

I'd go for #1, then they'd have no way to know that you didn't spend the night. I've also seen suggestions that you unmake the bed.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: HH Diamond, VS Au, BA Mauve
Thanks DJK.

I did read 8 pages of this thread before posting the question :-) It's amazing how much hilton has changed since 2000. Back then No Shows posted points!

I have enough time to watch some TV :-)
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:21 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by woggledog

Thoughts?
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I would do the first one, make them think you actually stayed the night. If you check out and the resell your room or something the system may become confused when it's time to credit the points, etc.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Old thread, but saves starting a new one.

Got caught up in the BA fiasco yesterday so couldn't get to my destination to get to my hotel. Had checked in online for the stay.

Therefore, does this count as me being there or not?
The stay has vanished from the app (usually a day or two later before is disappears).

Added: Appears from the app that it's down as a late cancellation so not sure if the hotel cancelled it for me knowing fine I wouldn't be getting there.
Decent of them if they did.
Wasn't a pre-pay rate so no charge that I can see / no pre-authorisation on my credit card.

Last edited by xenole; May 28, 2017 at 1:03 am
Old May 28, 2017, 3:51 am
cjd

Originally Posted by xenole

Got caught up in the BA fiasco yesterday so couldn't get to my destination to get to my hotel. Had checked in online for the stay.

The stay has vanished from the app (usually a day or two later before is disappears).

Added: Appears from the app that it's down as a late cancellation so not sure if the hotel cancelled it for me knowing fine I wouldn't be getting there.
Wasn't a pre-pay rate so no charge that I can see / no pre-authorisation on my credit card.
i would definitely contact the hotel to explain your situation. Hopefully they'll not charge for the "no show" in the circumstances. Easier to try and sort out now than later if you get charged. If they do charge, you could always try and claim back from BA like thousands of others no doubt!
Old May 30, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by cjd
i would definitely contact the hotel to explain your situation. Hopefully they'll not charge for the "no show" in the circumstances. Easier to try and sort out now than later if you get charged. If they do charge, you could always try and claim back from BA like thousands of others no doubt!
Seem to have been charged now as an amount came off my card this morning.
Don't think BA will pay out as they refused my train fare home after my flight was cancelled.

It's not a great amount of money to lose, so I'm not going to really push it.

Is there any way of getting credit for this though?
I booked it, checked in online and even though I didn't turn up, have still ended up paying for it.
Old May 30, 2017, 1:58 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I booked it, checked in online and even though I didn't turn up, have still ended up paying for it.
It wasn't your fault that you didn't show, but it's the same when you miss a non-refundable flight, you don't get the miles / credits / avios / TPs. It's why mileage/TP runs and mattress runs exist.

Otherwise people who have no easier way to Hilton Gold could just book the cheapest 20 stays in the world they can find, and you could renew GGL by paying a few Ł00s while staying at home.
Old May 30, 2017, 4:43 pm
cjd

Don't think BA will pay out as they refused my train fare home after my flight was cancelled.

I would still try contacting the hotel. In previous instances such as cancellations due to snow storms, I have sometimes read of hotels not charging for no shows. They may give you a credit for a future stay. Wouldn't do any harm to try.
Old May 31, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: AC50k, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Club
Originally Posted by cjd
I would still try contacting the hotel. In previous instances such as cancellations due to snow storms, I have sometimes read of hotels not charging for no shows. They may give you a credit for a future stay. Wouldn't do any harm to try.
I have personally had similar experiences. The hotel may be willing to, but it's under no obligation to, cut you some slack under the circumstances. May depend on your status.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry

I'd give BA time before you claim any expenses and your EC 261 compensation. Given the volume, the airline is going to have to pay out quite a bit of money to a lot of people. Plus, check whether your credit card has built-in insurance.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:27 pm

+1, Flight was cancelled on 27th, did not know until arrived at LHR, could not get to the hotel at the end.
I have also selected my room and checked in online in the morning after seeing a nice upgrade.

The only different was that my booking was prepaid and I can see a pending authorisation amount on my credit card.

I called the hotel informing that I will not make it and the front desk told me to write to the reservation team who 'may' be able to refund the cost.

Unfortunately, the reservation team told me that they have strict policy and cannot wave the 'cancellation fees' Not quite sure about what they meant about the cancellation fees?
It sounded like they may have charged me for a no show fee on top of my pre-paid rate?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to raise this query, but I just booked a room at the Logan Airport Hilton in Boston. If I read the booking conditions right, I must cancel more than 72 hours ahead of arrival to avoid penalty.
The penalty seems to be one night's room rate charged to my credit card. But didn't I already pre-pay for the room with my Honors points? I can understand their keeping the points if I don't show up, but also charging me for a one night room rate seems like double jeopardy.

Am I understanding these cancellation penalties on a points booking correctly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.