Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

High Speed Internet Access at Hilton Honors Properties: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2000, 9:55 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Hilton Hotels Corporation and eKiosk.com Corporation have announced a three-year agreement to deploy high-speed public area Internet eKiosks(TM) in Hilton(R) and Doubletree(R) hotels throughout North America. "eKiosks are high-speed internet access stations. They provide a new way for guests to communicate with the world when visiting our hotels, and could quickly become as important as the pay phone," said Robert Dirks, senior vice president -- marketing for Hilton Hotels Corporation. "This important service epitomizes Hilton's dedication to providing our guests with user-friendly, leading-edge technology and tools to help them be more efficient and connected while traveling away from office and home."

An eKiosk is a complete video-capable, Internet communications center, where travelers can stay connected, even when their laptop computer isn't. eKiosks provide users with direct access to the Internet through a broadband T1 or DSL connection that lets users surf the Internet or check e-mails at speeds up to 50 times faster than a regular phone modem. A user-friendly interface guides guests through a wide and growing variety of available Internet services. A large "session clock" helps users track the duration of their kiosk usage. Users may exit the Internet and end their session charges at any time.

The Hilton Chicago and the Palmer House Hilton recently completed a successful test pilot program of eKiosks, which began last summer.
http://dowjones.wsj.com/archive/gx.c...er=display-d2h

Old May 9, 2000, 10:01 am

Programs: a little here, a little there
I was pleased to find a high-speed internet connection in my room (business/exec floor of Tokyo/Osaka - can't remember which) on my last Hilton visit in Japan. Took one minute to change a setting on my laptop's browser, then just plug in (I had an Ethernet card with me). No charges whatsoever!
Old May 13, 2000, 10:18 am
In Memoriam

Where are these supposed to go? I stayed in a West Coast chain hotel recently that had one of these e-kiosks. But it was right in the lobby in a high traffic area with the screen facing all the traffic so there was no privacy whatsoever. Someone who was attending my meeetings was on it and I actually saw a complete stranger stop and interrupt and take up his time asking him about what was he doing, what did it cost, etc. No thanks.
Old Oct 29, 2001, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
Hilton Garden Inn-Internet Access

I stayed at the Hilton Garden located in Tulsa last week and it had free broadband access if you have your own ethernet card and cat 5 patch cable.

Is this true of all Hilton Garden Inns or is this a fluke?
Old Oct 29, 2001, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was a nice fluke. The majoritity of HGI (or most HH properities) do not have it. Of those having it, it is about $10 noon to noon.

MisterNice
Old Oct 29, 2001, 9:49 pm

Location: Coppell, Tx AA EXP, AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
MisterNice -

My experience has been just the opposite of yours. Most HGI do have the access, at $10 as you say, and most Hilton HOTELS/DT/ES do NOT have it. That internet access line is one of the reasons I like HGI so much.

Agree with you also, "free" internet service at an HGI is really a fluke.

Bonzaiflyer - I will try and get to Tulsa ASAP to see if I have the same luck as you, doubt it though. Gotta love free internet!

ps - I have booked the Wyndham in Costa Mesa for 11-Nov for a few nights partially on the basis that they are supposed to have FREE INTERNET access.

dAAvid -

[This message has been edited by AA SLF to fix the "bold" (edited 10-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by AA SLF (edited 10-29-2001).]
Old Oct 31, 2001, 3:50 pm

Well, it was late when I checked in but I do remember the desk clerk saying "free if you have your own cat5 cable". I used it and didn't see any charge on my bill for it.

I'll be back there on 11/5 and again on 11/15 so we'll see if this was a promo or what.
Old Oct 31, 2001, 5:51 pm

Hilton uses a variety of in-room ISP's.
CAIS seem[ed] to be the dominant provider,
but they're out of business.

Mobilestar [wireless] was installed at 130+
Hiltons, AA clubs and 500+ StarBucks. They
are very close to being out of business -
laid-off much of their sales/mktg/support
staffs ... but the network is still working
[and still billing!].

I've had mixed experiences with WayPort. To
few to make any judgements.

-doug
Old Nov 2, 2001, 12:41 pm
EPS

Programs: UA 1P; HHonors Silver
It looks like CAIS is now Ardent Communications?

http://ardentcomm.com/mu/hotel.htm
Old Nov 2, 2001, 12:46 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AA SLF:

ps - I have booked the Wyndham in Costa Mesa for 11-Nov for a few nights partially on the basis that they are supposed to have FREE INTERNET access.
</font>
High speed internet access at Wyhdhams is usually free if you are a Wyndham ByRequest member. You should sign up on the Wyndham guest site before going and make sure to sign up for a password/PIN, because when you log on to the network at the hotel you enter your Member number and password/PIN to get the free access. Pretty sweet deal!
Old Nov 2, 2001, 12:48 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
The HGI north of Charlotte had CAT 5 plugs, but it didn't do anything when I plugged in ... at least they're planning for it though.

The Homewood Suites in Charlotte by the Coliseum has complimentary high speed access (is that usual at HS, that's the only one I've ever stayed at and was very impressed with it in general).
Old Nov 3, 2001, 6:34 am
Original Member

Beckles -

I've stayed in HW Suites in SAT, Plano, Overland Park, KS, & Chesterfield, MO, and none have had the hi-speed internet access.
I'd say Charlotte HW Suites is not the norm, but what else is new about Charlotte?

Old Nov 4, 2001, 7:36 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I just checked into the HGI in Duluth, GA (Johns Creek) and asked the desk clerk about high speed access charges. Having stayed here many times this year, I knew there was service.

Wrong! The service provider went "belly-up" last month, and the hotel no longer has high speed access. While I really enjoy this property and staff, their dial up lines stink (currently 28.8K).
Old Nov 5, 2001, 5:51 pm

Well, I just checked into the HGI at Tulsa airport and they still have free hight speed internet access in the room. Just bring your own cat5 patch cable.
Old Nov 18, 2001, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
High Speed Internet Access @ Hiltons Temporarily Not Available?

First time I recently heard the front desk say we no longer have it due to the provider no longer being in business I thought ok it is just an excuse.

However, several properties have now consistently said the same thing.... "We use to have Cais as our provider and they just folded".

After checking:

http://www.cais.com

You automatically get forwarded to Ardent Communications.

A quick check at their PR page does confirm Chapter 11 but a restructure, not a complete folding.

http://ardentcomm.com/news/news_01-10-11.htm

So does anyone know what is going on? Or when Hilton will select a new provider.

One would think that they could still use the existing wiring that was done in many of their hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.