Wiki Posts
Search

Checking in/out on the same day

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Checking in/out on the same day

I'm looking at making a HGI reservation for 6/29-7/3. Since I wasn't initially sure which dates I wanted, I had been playing around with different date ranges and found that the rates drop significantly on 7/1. If I try and make the reservation for the whole period, the rate is $180 for the first 2 nights and $170 for the next 2. If I split the reservation in two, I can get $180 for the first 2 nights and $115 for the next 2.

Any problems with doing this? Would the hotel void my reservations for some reason?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:50 pm

It's generally frown upon by corporate, but I've had no issues doing that. Just let the front desk person know at checkin and you'll be fine. They keep you in the same room, but you'll have two bills.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 3:05 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
See this thread for some previous discussion about it

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...y-pricing.html

Some have had success at having them combine the two different reservations to make it less of a hassle for you
Old Jun 16, 2011, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I do this all the time when booking a stay of more than a couple of days. Checking rates for individual nights and combination of nights might get you a sizable reduction in your bill. Just make sure they are all for the same room type and they should be able to link your reservations to the same room for the duration. I make a point to specifically ask if I need to come down to close out one rez and open the next. Most times I'm told no. If anything goes wrong, be armed with your confirmations and they will make the necessary adjustments.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Just make sure they are all for the same room type...
I'm actually thinking of changing the room type. The first two nights are for my wife and kids and I don't join them until the last 2 nights, at which point I plan on changing the room type to a Jr. Suite from a regular room. Both reservations would be under my wife's name since she's the only one with any HHonors points (currently HH Gold via the Visa promo). Incidentally, if we can get this to count as two stays somehow, the last 2 night stay would be her 3rd stay for the Visa promo. However, she will likely have another stay prior to the end of the promo period anyways, so that's not a motivation for having 2 reservations; saving $$ is.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by mangoMan
I'm actually thinking of changing the room type. The first two nights are for my wife and kids and I don't join them until the last 2 nights, at which point I plan on changing the room type to a Jr. Suite from a regular room. Both reservations would be under my wife's name since she's the only one with any HHonors points (currently HH Gold via the Visa promo). Incidentally, if we can get this to count as two stays somehow, the last 2 night stay would be her 3rd stay for the Visa promo. However, she will likely have another stay prior to the end of the promo period anyways, so that's not a motivation for having 2 reservations; saving $$ is.
Unfortunately, if the 2 reservations are under the same HHonors #, even if you change room types, they will still only count as 1 stay. You can get 2 stays if one is under her number and the second under your number. But obviously, your stay won't count towards her promo's stay requirement.

I always check on various combos of nights. I have noticed if 1 night is more expensive, the entire stay is more expensive than booking individual nights or weekends/weeknights separately. There should be no problem. I just let the FD know so I won;t have to move rooms. I almost always have to go to the FD to check out/check in at the end of each reservation though. Not a big deal, just paperwork.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 4:52 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The only way to get it to count as two stays is to stay someplace else for a night. Any back to back stays will be counted as one stay even if you check in and out again. Per the terms and conditions

A "stay" is defined as the total number of consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, whether or not a guest checks out and checks back in again.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 6:51 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by mangoMan
Just make sure the front desk knpws you want to change to the bigger room for the last two nights. You may get lucky and they'll give your wife the bigger room for the entire time. But be prepared to change. No way to get this to count as two stays.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 3:03 am

Programs: NZ *Gold
Your wife could end up roomless for a few hours if you switch from a standard room to a junior suite too, if the hotel won't or can't exercise some flexibility. Check out is usually around 12 noon, and check in around 2 or 3 p.m. Suite upgrades are not a benefit of HHonors, although some properties do provide these on occasion.

Sorry, edited to add an afterthought. I'm not familiar with HGIs (and you've not named the one you're looking to book). But most junior suites have one king size bed. You say "your wife and kids" (plural) and then you are joining them. I think for comfort I would be looking at a room with 2 double beds for the whole of the stay. As a gold member your wife may be more successful in getting an upgrade to the best double/double room category.

Regards
R3dV

Last edited by RedVee; Jun 17, 2011 at 3:16 am
Old Jun 17, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond
I have the situation where I have to use a corporate rate to stay in policy for expense reporting. Some Hilton locations have a limited number of rooms at that rate. In addition, my arrival and departure dates have to be flexible as well.

I have had on occasion 3 (one night) reservations (i.e. Tuesday, Wed, Thursday) at a location. I then cancel one or more reservations as needed. I pack and unpack each day of my stay. Effectively, checking out each morning and either checking in or canceling my stay each afternoon.

On Wed. the client decides that Thursday's meetings are not needed. I am ready to head to either the next city or back to the airport and home.

Sounds like a pain and sometimes it can be -- but I usually am able to stay in a nicer property at the corporate rate. I try to avoid stays at Hampton Inn when there is a Hilton available.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Several times I have made different bookings for consecutive nights because it was a cheaper option.
The problem is that all the times only the points of the 1st booking/nights got posted, and I had to ask for a retro-claim, but always was dealt rapidly by HH representatives.
To try to avoid having to retro-claim, when checking in I always ask to have everything under one folio, but I have never succeed.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by RedVee
Sorry, edited to add an afterthought. I'm not familiar with HGIs (and you've not named the one you're looking to book). But most junior suites have one king size bed. You say "your wife and kids" (plural) and then you are joining them. I think for comfort I would be looking at a room with 2 double beds for the whole of the stay. As a gold member your wife may be more successful in getting an upgrade to the best double/double room category.

Regards
R3dV
I stay 7/8 times per year at the HGI in Milano Malpensa and most of the times they upgrade me to a Jr Suite, even when I have the 750 bonus points option in My Way.
The Jr Suite at this property consists in one room with a king size bed and a small living room with a sofa-bed, good for 2 persons.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
One pretty good way to quickly check rates for each night of an extended stay is to use Expedia. Using keywords from the name of the hotel you can narrow down quickly and each night's rate will be displayed.

I do a lot of hotel-hopping and this feature helps me figure out an efficient pattern, and to see what the cheapest nights are in a given hotel.

Not 100% effective, but usually is. You normally have to mentally figure things like AAA rates.

And the British Hilton site Hilton.co.uk lets you sort by price in a given area, as does the new US Hilton beta site.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Jun 18, 2011 at 8:48 am
Old Jun 19, 2011, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, IC Amb and Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by saviox
Several times I have made different bookings for consecutive nights because it was a cheaper option.
The problem is that all the times only the points of the 1st booking/nights got posted, and I had to ask for a retro-claim, but always was dealt rapidly by HH representatives.
To try to avoid having to retro-claim, when checking in I always ask to have everything under one folio, but I have never succeed.
I had this in Prague a couple of weeks ago, 3 nights at higher rate and last night at lower rate. The hotel were really good and let me keep the exec room for the final night and also moved the 3 nights on to the final foilio. The only problem was that this then showed a 1 night for the Q2 promotion rather than the 4 stayed when it made it to my account. I mailed the hhonors desk and within 3 hours they had responded added the missing points and nights

Nice to report something resolved well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.