Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao {CHN}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2016, 10:28 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note.

In order to keep the discussion of how best to get to this specific Hilton Hotel in one forum, I have moved the cross-posted discussion in the China forum into this active thread in the Hilton forum, subject to oversight rights of the Hilton forum moderators. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator and therefore acting as Moderator for the China forum.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Oct 7, 2016 at 10:35 pm
Old Oct 8, 2016, 3:45 am
Suspended

So I'm pretty unhappy with this hotel. They probably would have 10-20 more nights from me this year, but I'm upset at their service levels. I still go back and stay there because i'm in Shanghai all the time, but I've been mixing up between Sheraton, Renaissance & this Hilton. I want to give Hilton 100% but refuse because I'm so unhappy with them. Here's my issues:

I need a fappiao for all my stays. i've had issues 3 times getting fappiaos. either the exec desk doesn't have them, or the front desk also doesn't have them (I was once told its locked until 8am), I've been late to work because it took so long for them to figure out how to make one. I've had to leave twice without one and they fedexed it to me which is a pain pain pain.

I preselected a room, said what time I was coming, showed up 3 hours later (7pm) and that room wasn't ready so they put me in a different room that i didn't like as much and there was no bowl of fruit (i know i'm not owed it but i usually get it in the room)

Last time was the worst. i was trapped in the building for 20 mins and was late to a meeting and missed my uber. the elevators in the exec tower were broken. so when i tried to leave, there was no way out. i used the lobby phone by the elevator to call but nobody understood me. i forgot they call them "lifts" in china but still, c'mon - it's a US based hotel chain, they should understand elevator. So i walked down the fire stairs. Get to the 3rd floor (lobby floor in exec tower) and the door is LOCKED. I can't get out. so now i'm trapped in the fire stairs. what kind of idiot hotel LOCKS the fire stairs? doesn't that defeat the purpose. so i walk back up and luckily that door is open, get back on the phone, and they seem to understand but don't know what to do. they put me on hold, find a manager, still don't know what to do. so i'm waiting and they say they'll send someone. wait wait wait. nothing. my brain turns on and i find the service elevator. i just started pushing random doors and walls in the hallway until i found the "employee only" section (yes, i should have done that 20 mins ago but i wasn't thinking as i was in a panic being late to work and all and sweating before going to the office). and then i get out. VERY upset. they called me later to apologize. i asked how they knew it was me and they avoided the question until i finally grilled them (i should be a detective) and found they were watching me on the security tape and then watched me go back to my room later and that's how they triangulated. moderately creepy but it's china, i can live. at any rate, i'm very upset w them. i told them so. it was nice of them to call, but i don't think i've ever been offered compensation in a hilton in china. and it's fine, i dont' need it. but they really should learn their customer service business. they probably lost $2000+ in revenue from me this year because the lack of service recovery. marriott thanks them (and starwood but guess its' the same)
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:05 am

On their website it says

"Free bus service to Shanghai center (Non-working days)"
http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/chi...HHI/index.html

Does anyone have a clue about timetable, where they drop-off etc.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
A one night stay as a Diamond over Shanghai F1. Took Didi (Chinese Uber) from HGI Hongqiao and given a room at 10am.
Was about CNY960 (US$155) so not worth points.

Minimal upgrade given from Guestroom to Deluxe in Tower 2 (basically a higher floor).
Diamond letter included which still had 1-set pressing. Afternoon tea 3.30-5.30 and Canapes/Drinks 6.00-8.00.

Letter also noted breakfast only at EL, with upgrade to restaurant for CNY80 on weekends/ public holidays.

Gym (massive and good quality equipment on Level 3 between Towers 2/3) and indoor pool connects to EL in Tower 3 with a few level changes.

Came to EL at 5.15 and they'd already closed out afternoon tea. Canapes/drinks started 6.00.

Pretty poor canapes/drinks for a flagship Hilton. One very bland beef/ mushroom dish, average cheese, a salad, a few sandwiches and some heated dim sum / spring rolls. Self serve low shelf spirits, Tsingtao beer and sweet South African wines.

​​​​​​Breakfast was better in the lounge and quiet on Sun morning with egg and noodle shelf and decent range of fruit salad
salad.

There is a hidden convenience store (Family Mart) nearby, just head out towards the Vine restuarabt, down the tree-lined path then right.

Also right, right out of the hotel, along main road for 200m or so then across the overpass you are at Laowei St 101 (foreigner street) which has a range of 20+ restaurants/ bars/ sports bars.

Midway along that main road is also a bus stop with access to nearby stations (fare is CNY 2) - 700 to Shuicheng Rd Line 10 or 69 to Loushanguan Rd Line 2
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
If you ever hear "Hongqiao" in the name of a Shanghai business, you can bet your bottom dollar that it is reasonably close to Hongqiao Airport/Station. In the case of the hotel in question, we're talking about ~4 miles to T1 and ~6.5 miles to T2/station. You will also hear the same area referred to as "Gubei" and "Minhang" (the former describes the neighborhood; the latter refers to the legal district that encompasses the neighborhood).

While I probably wouldn't choose to stay in Gubei if I was visiting Shanghai for tourist purposes, I am a booster in the general sense (really good Korean/Japanese food, spas, trees). It is a nicer environment than anywhere in Pudong IMO.

BTW, many Shanghai residents detest the term "Puxi" because it didn't exist before LJZ was developed in the late 90s. I personally don't care; at the very least, it makes FT threads about SH easier to comprehend.
Just did a stay at this hotel and this is the first time I read this thread. Just an addition to this geographical discussion. The name Hongqiao did not originate from the airport. Like most airports in China, Hongqiao Airport is named after the closest major population centre, and in this case, it is Hongqiaozhen or Hongqiao township: https://goo.gl/maps/CLeVebDm8f72

In fact, when a local says Hongqiao they are probably referring to the township rather than the airport. Administratively, Gubei is part of the Hongqiao township, and so is the Hilton.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by moa999
Minimal upgrade given from Guestroom to Deluxe in Tower 2 (basically a higher floor).

​​​​​​Breakfast was better in the lounge and quiet on Sun morning with egg and noodle shelf and decent range of fruit salad
salad.
Just did a stay on points as a Diamond at this hotel. I think this hotel doesn't treat all Diamond guests in the same way. It has its own list of "old" Diamond guests vs. "new" Diamond guests. It seems to have something to do with whether you have stayed at this hotel before and possibly the frequency of your stay.

Anyway, "old" Diamond guests always gets an upgrade to Tower 3, but never a suite (at least not for me). I also went down to the breakfast restaurant as it is so much better than the lounge, and fully expecting to pay Y92 as it was a weekend. However, I didn't get charged so it appears that the weekend upcharge for the breakfast isn't always enforced.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by tauphi
Anyway, "old" Diamond guests always gets an upgrade to Tower 3, but never a suite (at least not for me). I also went down to the breakfast restaurant as it is so much better than the lounge, and fully expecting to pay Y92 as it was a weekend. However, I didn't get charged so it appears that the weekend upcharge for the breakfast isn't always enforced.
Had a third weekend stay and this time I paid cash instead of using points. This time I was charged for breakfast at the previously stated rate of Y92 per person.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Hilton Hongqiao Shanghai Sold Out—Diamond 48hr guarantee?

i tried to book 11-7 to 11-8 and hotel shows sold out. App says “call to book” so I called the diamond line and no luck even with 48 hr guarantee. Is this a real benefit?

i also emailed the hotel customer service manager and am waiting to see if she can help. I’m a regular at this hotel for what that is worth—probably 20-30 nights a year there.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:32 pm

I can't remember where I heard this, but think there's some occupancy threshold (like 101%) at which the hotel appears sold out to the general public, but available to Diamonds. Then there is another threshold (like 110%) at which the hotel is completely sold out.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
https://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/...Hour_Guarantee

This guarantee does not apply to a hotel when that hotel becomes overbooked on inventory by 10% or more (meaning, 110% or more of rooms are reserved). For certain hotels within the Hilton Portfolio, this guarantee does not apply when that hotel becomes overbooked on inventory by 2% or more (meaning, 102% or more of rooms are reserved). Consult with the individual hotel or view hotels with the 2% cap to determine whether the 2% limitation applies.
In the 2% cap list is the "Hilton Shanghai".

There are about 1000 more restrictions on the 48 hour guarantee in the link above.

Neil
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:24 pm

Hilton Shanghai and Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao are different hotels - although it seems the former is now closed.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
All good

i emailed the customer service contact I have saved from previous compliments and critiques and she was able to get me a room. She said likely no upgrade but we will see when I arrive. They’re usually pretty proactive if they can be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.