Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For ease of navigation, the Hilton Rewards FAQ is distributed across posts 1-10 in this thread. This wiki does not duplicate that content; instead, it provides an index to the various sections of the FAQ.
Print Wikipost

Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:25 am

Check what the first 4 nights would be if booked together. If that matches what your 5 night stay totaled, then there is no mistake, there is just a different price for 5 individual one night bookings than there is for a single five night booking.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AugustWest
I am having a strange experience trying to book a 5th night free stay.
When I look at the nights individually I see standard award space of 33K, 50K, 34K, 33K, 33K. Averaging these out my cost with 5th night free should be ~146K.
But when I book 5 nights straight, the pricing per night changes and I get a total price of 169K effectively wiping out the 5th night free.
Any advice? Call HH?
Delete

Last edited by flyerCO; Nov 2, 2018 at 2:35 pm
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:08 am
Original Poster

I am having a strange experience trying to book a 5th night free stay.
When I look at the nights individually I see standard award space of 33K, 50K, 34K, 33K, 33K. Averaging these out my cost with 5th night free should be ~146K.
But when I book 5 nights straight, the pricing per night changes and I get a total price of 169K effectively wiping out the 5th night free.
Any advice? Call HH?
Your price should be 150K. Hilton used to compute an average cost/night & then deduct that, but a year ago the policy changed so that the last night's cost--whatever it happens to be--drops out.

This is explained in post #3 :
Originally Posted by beltway
HHonors members with elite status -- Silver, Gold, Diamond -- qualify for a "Fifth Night Free" benefit on any single reward stay of five or more consecutive nights, up to four free nights on a stay of 20 consecutive nights. (Members may obtain elite status through hotel stays or by acquiring any of the Hilton-affiliated credit cards. For more information on the benefits of HHonors status and how to earn it, see the HHonors website and the FT threads listed in the FT Hilton FAQ.) Hilton's FT liaison has stated that Fifth Night Free will continue to be available in 2017 after hotel categories are abolished.

In cases where the number of points required per night varies (for example, when a stay includes peak and off-peak nights), the point value of the free night is determined by dividing the total point cost of all nights by the number of nights in the stay. Thus, for a six-night stay in which 3 nights cost 40K each and the other 3 nights cost 30K each, the value of the free night is 35K (210K/6). In this example, the total cost for the stay would be 175K (210K - 35K discount) the cost of the last night is reduced to zero (as of Oct. 1, 2017). As a result, the benefit of the free night can now vary greatly depending on the points rate (before discount) of the last night.

Elite members need not take any extra steps to receive the benefit. Any qualifying booking receives the discount automatically. Note also that the Fifth Night Free benefit applies only to standard rooms; see the discussion at the end of post #1 concerning capacity controls.

For more information about this benefit, see the HHonors FAQand the HHonors terms & conditions.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:57 am

Your price should be 150K. Hilton used to compute an average cost/night & then deduct that, but a year ago the policy changed so that the last night's cost--whatever it happens to be--drops out.

This is explained in post #3 :
Ok, so we agree that my cost should be lower than what they are showing. Advice on what to do about it?
Thank you
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Ok, so we agree that my cost should be lower than what they are showing. Advice on what to do about it?
Thank you
What is the rate is you try and book for just four nights.

Total for 5 nights at those rates would be 183k. 183k-146k equals 37k difference. 183k÷5 equals 36.6k. (Hilton always rounds up) 183k-37k equals 146k.

Last edited by flyerCO; Nov 2, 2018 at 2:04 pm
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Total for 5 nights at those rates would be 183k. 183k-146k equals 37k difference. 183k÷5 equals 36.6k or 150k÷4 equals 37.5k. (Not sure which they use)
Neither.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Neither.
Quite obvious that it is how it's calculating the amount of points to discount the free night. Also makes sense as a reasonable method. Have you called Hhonors or are just not liking the answer and saying no?

ETA -
Note a simple Google search for "Hilton fifth night free" returned the following result

Hilton 5th Night Free Calculation

I'm guessing someone read the terms last year incorrectly. The wording will pay 0 points for the fifth night could be read as they zero out the fifth night. It would be better written as the fifth night will be free.

Last edited by flyerCO; Nov 2, 2018 at 4:52 pm
Old Nov 3, 2018, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Quite obvious that it is how it's calculating the amount of points to discount the free night. Also makes sense as a reasonable method. Have you called Hhonors or are just not liking the answer and saying no?

ETA -
Note a simple Google search for "Hilton fifth night free" returned the following result

Hilton 5th Night Free Calculation

I'm guessing someone read the terms last year incorrectly. The wording will pay 0 points for the fifth night could be read as they zero out the fifth night. It would be better written as the fifth night will be free.
Hilton is notorious for leaving legacy pages with outdated policy online. This proves exactly nothing.

A statement from the HH liaison to FT, on the other hand: Latest Update to T&Cs: 5th Night Free

Last edited by beltway; Nov 3, 2018 at 12:12 am
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Hilton is notorious for leaving legacy pages with outdated policy online. This proves exactly nothing.

A statement from the HH liaison to FT, on the other hand: Latest Update to T&Cs: 5th Night Free
I just realized neither of us caught I was using 146k. Re-reading your post it's 169k and you thought it should be 146k.

AS for 169k, What is the rate if you try and book just the first four nights as a reward? This should be 169k also, if the fifth night is simply zeroed out.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:29 pm

Is redeeming points in Canadian HH properties generally a bad deal compared to the US?

I was just looking at redeeming for a night at the Hampton Inn in Chilliwack, BC. In Canadian dollars, the value per point is almost 0.005 Dollars, but calculated in USD, it is a paltry 0.0036 Dollars. It seems like they took the 0.5 cents/point value and use it whether it is Canadian or US Dollars. Or is this just a coincidence with bad redemption value at that property?

Last edited by sokolov; May 4, 2019 at 11:08 pm
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:48 pm

Hit with annual fee for hilton CC card? Is it possible to downgrade to no fee card and still get hilton miles?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Looking to book some HH point nights at some of the three Seychelles properties in August 2020. However, there is not standard award availability at EITHER of three properties. Seems that all three are playing award games and re-naming their standard rooms/suites in order to avoid standard award availability.

Last edited by mirror74; Sep 13, 2019 at 1:12 am Reason: Now available also for 8-2020. Seems that they load those standard award rates appx. 40 days later than standard paid rates.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Is it normal for a points booking to cost more for a 1 room 2 adults vs 1 room 1 adult when the room type is the same? It's only 1k points per night, but when the benefits list "second guest stays free"...
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Originally Posted by mirror74
Looking to book some HH point nights at some of the three Seychelles properties in August 2020. However, there is not standard award availability at EITHER of three properties. Seems that all three are playing award games and re-naming their standard rooms/suites in order to avoid standard award availability.

Also, seeing that the Hilton Copacabana Rio De Jeniero is also playing games with standard award availability where they literally have only premium rewards available any night throughout the schedule and their base room they list as a Oceanview room. If we complain to Hilton Honors about this will they do anything?

Last edited by Joe1690; Oct 28, 2019 at 3:06 am
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Joe1690
Also, seeing that the Hilton Copacabana Rio De Jeniero is also playing games with standard award availability where they literally have only premium rewards available any night throughout the schedule and their base room they list as a Oceanview room. If we complain to Hilton Honors about this will they do anything?
That is very doubtful. Save your time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.