Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This guide has been removed.
Print Wikipost

Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serpens
Is there any problem with making a second award booking and then canceling the first? I do this with cash bookings if the price goes down, but I wonder if a points booking would have different limitations or checking to prevent such.
As long as you have the necessary points in hand (or are willing to risk availability disappearing/prices going up between cancelling one award & the points reappearing in your account), there's no problem. I did this for a European stay last fall & likewise shaved points off an upcoming stay in San Francisco.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by beltway
As long as you have the necessary points in hand (or are willing to risk availability disappearing/prices going up between cancelling one award & the points reappearing in your account), there's no problem. I did this for a European stay last fall & likewise shaved points off an upcoming stay in San Francisco.
Thanks, beltway. I used to save points for a fifth-night-free stay, and that could have made it a challenge to have all the required points necessary to make the new reservation and then cancel the old. With the new, less favorable fifth-night-free terms, I expect more one or two night stays on points, and it will be less of an issue.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:09 am

Under the current rules, on Points & Money bookings, does the Money part earn points? I suspect that for a booking I'm considering, separate bookings of a night on points and a paid night would be better, but I'm curious about that matter.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rove312
Under the current rules, on Points & Money bookings, does the Money part earn points? I suspect that for a booking I'm considering, separate bookings of a night on points and a paid night would be better, but I'm curious about that matter.
Per the Hilton Honors T&C:
Members will earn Points for combined Points and money Reward Stays on any money spent on eligible folio charges at Waldorf Astoria® Hotels & Resorts Hotels, Conrad® Hotels and Resorts, Canopy™ by Hilton, Hilton Hotels and Resorts, Curio - A Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton™, Tapestry Collection by Hilton™, Embassy Suites™, Hilton Garden Inn® and Hilton Grand Vacations®. Members will earn Points for incidental charges only for full Points Reward Stays at Waldorf Astoria® Hotels & Resorts Hotels, Conrad® Hotels and Resorts, Canopy™ by Hilton, Hilton Hotels and Resorts, Curio - A Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton™, Tapestry Collection by Hilton™, Embassy Suites™, Hilton Garden Inn® and Hilton Grand Vacations®. Members will not earn Points for incidental charges during any Reward Stay at a Hampton by Hilton™, Tru by Hilton™, Home2 Suites by Hilton® or Homewood Suites by Hilton® hotel.
FYI, @HonorsRepresentative stated in February 2017 that "If you book a Points & Money rate when the new functionality goes live later this month, the money portion will qualify to earn Hilton Honors Base Points. You'll also qualify to earn Bonus Points through eligible promotions...."

Last edited by beltway; Jun 15, 2018 at 10:16 am
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:01 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Question

Anyone have an update on the topic below? This sticky topic is a year and a half old and I just had an experience today of a lowly Hampton Inn which appears to be doing capacity controls on points redemptions. I called Hilton directly and they could not convert my pay only with cash reservation to a pay only with miles reservation, claiming that the property had exceeded the number of rooms they wish to make available for points stays, for the night in question.

Originally Posted by beltway

A note about blackout dates and capacity controls

According to the HHonors terms and conditions (item #4 ),

Unfortunately, beginning in the fall of 2011 Hilton allowed several properties -- including some of the most desirable desinations -- to effectively violate the "no capacity controls" rule. With the addition of Premium Room Rewards, certain Hilton hotels and resorts redesignated many of their standard rooms as premium rooms, and are charging exorbitant amounts (in some cases, double or triple the points) for these rooms. Members also report that some hotels have standard rooms available for cash purchase, but that these same rooms cannot be obtained using reward points.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I am planning to book a few award stays for early October.
​​​We are travelling with Mrs. Ukdoctors parents and I have a dilemma .

​​​​​​We need 2 rooms but all the points are in my account . Both me and Mrs.Ukdoctor are Hilton Gold.

From what I can see the Hilton Gold benefits are given to the Gold member and and additional guest in the same room.

Is there any way of ensuring that both rooms get gold benefits ?

One plan was to transfer the points to Mrs. ukdoctors account and then book one room in my name and the other in her name . However is this really necessary?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
I am planning to book a few award stays for early October.
​​​We are travelling with Mrs. Ukdoctors parents and I have a dilemma .

​​​​​​We need 2 rooms but all the points are in my account . Both me and Mrs.Ukdoctor are Hilton Gold.

From what I can see the Hilton Gold benefits are given to the Gold member and and additional guest in the same room.

Is there any way of ensuring that both rooms get gold benefits ?

One plan was to transfer the points to Mrs. ukdoctors account and then book one room in my name and the other in her name . However is this really necessary?
by strict reading of the terms, it would be necessary. In practical experience, it have very rarely been necessary for us. We always need at least two and sometimes three rooms and, with the exception of the doubletree Beijing we have always gotten benefits on all rooms regardless of where the points came from. We are both diamonds.
ukdoctor likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Although I’ve been collecting for a while, some of the basics of this program elude me. Is it like IHG Rewards, where reward bookings with points can be cancelled and refunded if done at least 24 hours before the planned stay? At IHG, it would appear that all reward nights bookings can be refunded, unless specified by the hotel during busy times, e.g. a fair.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Concerto
Although I’ve been collecting for a while, some of the basics of this program elude me. Is it like IHG Rewards, where reward bookings with points can be cancelled and refunded if done at least 24 hours before the planned stay? At IHG, it would appear that all reward nights bookings can be refunded, unless specified by the hotel during busy times, e.g. a fair.
From the T&C:
9. All Reward Stay reservations must be guaranteed with a credit card. Some hotels may require a deposit in lieu of a credit card guarantee. Deposits cannot be waived for Reward Stay reservations. No-shows or cancellations of Reward Stay reservations outside of the timeframe set by the hotel's individual cancellation policy will be charged one night's room and tax at the hotel's Best Available Rate for that date. General cancellation policy: cancel 48 hours prior to arrival to avoid cancellation penalties. Additional cancellation policies are established by each individual hotel and may differ from the general cancellation policy; in that case, the hotel's individual cancellation policy applies.
Discussion: New Hilton Cancellation Policy
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Right, thanks. Got to be a bit careful here then.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:28 am

Hi,
Would it be possible to combine a points stay (incl. 5th-night free benefit) with a free weekend night award certificate, if said weekend falls in between of the points stay?

This might be a very basic question, but I am new to the Hilton Honors program and haven't been able to figure this out.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mister P.
Hi,
Would it be possible to combine a points stay (incl. 5th-night free benefit) with a free weekend night award certificate, if said weekend falls in between of the points stay?

This might be a very basic question, but I am new to the Hilton Honors program and haven't been able to figure this out.
5NF benefit applies only to a single points reservation of 5+ consecutive nights. From the program T&C:
Applies only to five consecutive nights within the same full Points Standard Room Reward stay at the same property, up to 20 nights

Last edited by beltway; Sep 8, 2018 at 7:43 am
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:38 am

Ok, thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
I had an odd experience with reservations today. I called to book two nights, one using 60K points and the other using a reward certificate. I was told that when using the reward certificate, I would be deducted 60K points, which would be returned at check-in. As I only had 90K points, I said that this would be impossible. The agent then calmly said that was fine, and went ahead and made the reservation.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:26 am

I am having a strange experience trying to book a 5th night free stay.
When I look at the nights individually I see standard award space of 33K, 50K, 34K, 33K, 33K. Averaging these out my cost with 5th night free should be ~146K.
But when I book 5 nights straight, the pricing per night changes and I get a total price of 169K effectively wiping out the 5th night free.
Any advice? Call HH?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.