Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This guide has been removed.
Print Wikipost

Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:37 pm

Officially, you would get breakfast because you are diamond, your parents would get breakfast because they are gold and your kids would get no breakfast. Unofficially, virtually every Hilton I have stayed in has given us breakfast for my wife and Me and all 4 kids. We always go down for breakfast together and I am always prepared to pay, but haven’t had to.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by manstein58
Looking for guidance. Poobahs at work yanked AMEX Platinum so i elected to put my 675,000 points with Hilton. Any recommendations on how best to maximize theiruse? TIA
Yikes, are we talking about 675,000 Amex MR points? If so, I would reconsider putting them to Hilton. There are lots of great sub offers for the Amex Hilton cards right now. You can rack up a ton of points quickly with them. I would transfer the MR points to airlines where you'll get better redemption value.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Damond, Amex
I got Hilton Diamond status by having Amex Aspire.

If I cancel the Aspire, when do I lose the Diamond status? Immediately? Or at the end of calendar year?
Old Feb 7, 2021, 2:51 am

Hi

I could not see a hilton newbie question thread.

The website seems to have changed since the last time i logged in. quite a while back. I now cannot find how to see my recent, and non-recent point activity. How do i see that?
Old Feb 7, 2021, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by momoflyingguy
Hi

I could not see a hilton newbie question thread.

The website seems to have changed since the last time i logged in. quite a while back. I now cannot find how to see my recent, and non-recent point activity. How do i see that?
The steps are
  • click your username at top right & select “Account” from the drop-down menu
  • on the Account page, click Activity at the top
  • check the box(es) for the activity type(s) you want displayed
Stupidly, Hilton displays activity in chrono order, so the items most people want to see—recent activity—are at the very end. Click “Last” to see the latest entries. (No, there’s no way to force reverse-chrono display.)
momoflyingguy likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by beltway
The steps are
  • click your username at top right & select “Account” from the drop-down menu
  • on the Account page, click Activity at the top
  • check the box(es) for the activity type(s) you want displayed
Stupidly, Hilton displays activity in chrono order, so the items most people want to see—recent activity—are at the very end. Click “Last” to see the latest entries. (No, there’s no way to force reverse-chrono display.)
Thank you.

I basically only earn HH points from the CC, and i used to be able to click 'all points activity' on the left. now i must click other activity instead./
Thank you.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 3:26 am

I just got Diamond via the Aspire and so far I am extremely underwhelmed. It seems like the only reason it matters is getting extra points. I'm never offered upgrades or even things like free water.

Do you have to ask for or demand your perks? Are there tricks to getting them? Or certain brands that are more likely to upgrade you?

Room upgrades sounded great but I've yet to get one...
Old Feb 8, 2021, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by cbc18
I just got Diamond via the Aspire and so far I am extremely underwhelmed. It seems like the only reason it matters is getting extra points. I'm never offered upgrades or even things like free water.

Do you have to ask for or demand your perks? Are there tricks to getting them? Or certain brands that are more likely to upgrade you?

Room upgrades sounded great but I've yet to get one...
what countries are you staying in? Which.hilton brands? There's a lot of variables. In general though, I'd say it's pretty normal to NOT get upgrades. Many people proactively ask at checkin. I don't bother since upgades mean almost nothing to me as a solo business traveler.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
what countries are you staying in? Which.hilton brands? There's a lot of variables. In general though, I'd say it's pretty normal to NOT get upgrades. Many people proactively ask at checkin. I don't bother since upgades mean almost nothing to me as a solo business traveler.
Thanks.

USA. So far Hampton Inn and Suites and Homewood Suites.

I'll try asking at check-in next time.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 6:33 pm

Thanks.

Space available upgrades are not defined benefit at either brand, but some may be nice and give you an upgrade. Generally, upgrades are only a defined benefit when staying at more full service type properties - Hilton, Conrad, Waldorf, Curio etc. You can check the MyWay benefits section on your app for the specific benefits for each brand.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 6:49 pm

Thanks.

Theres often no upgraded room types at these properties,, or if there is they are trivial. "Real" upgrades you'd need to be at DoubleTree or higher (Conrad, Hilton, etc)..
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:09 pm

Programs: Qatar Plat OW*E, HH Diamond, Hyatt Exp, Marriott Titanium
Not sure where to ask - but there isn't currently any Hilton promo right now, right?
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by GratefulSmile
Not sure where to ask - but there isn't currently any Hilton promo right now, right?
See this thread for the 1Q 2021 promo:
2021 First Quarter Promotion, 1/1 to 5/2/2021. 2000 pts/stay; 5000 pts per 5 nights
GratefulSmile likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 2:25 am

So if I book a 7 night stay at a particular Homewood Suites, I pay around 30k HH/night. If I book a 5 night stay, it wants to charge me 60k HH/night. Any way to book the 7 night and shorten it to 5 nights and get the lower rate? Modifying the reservation on the website reprices the whole thing. I can't just drop 2 nights. The crazy thing is it's cheaper to book 7 nights and dump the last 2 nights instead of booking 5 nights. Idiotic.

Apologies if this is a noob question. I'm new to redeeming with Hilton.

Edited to add: Revenue rates show the same stupid behavior fwiw. The fine print says the rate is dynamic and can reprice based on length of stay which will be confirmed at check in, so I suppose you can't check out early even though it's a flexible rate. I don't know if the reward rate is supposed to function the same way?

Last edited by abcx; Mar 7, 2021 at 2:35 am
Old Mar 7, 2021, 8:29 am

Never seen that happen. May not be a way to get the system to price under a week at the cheaper rate. Could try your luck calling but I presume this pricing is intentional, even if it appears illogical.
I'd book whatevers cheapest then just leave when you need to. At a Homewood suites leave room key card in the room and just walk out. No need to check out early / officially shorten stay.
Check out via the app on final day if you like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.