Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Old Mar 22, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on one of the desired years shown below:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort & Spa hotel property.

Please report any errors such as broken links, for example to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Old Apr 13, 2009, 8:48 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Yes, it used to be much much better.
This is the second time I'm aware of that the breakfast has cycled back to a "bad" offering.

It came back from bad to good a little over two years ago.

Looks like the cycle continues.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TrickyC
Moving forward, there is a new Diamond VIP Terrace (by the Bali restaurant) where a continental breakfast is offered. No opportunity to upgrade to warm breakfast. First days' offerings: coffee, juice, mini croissants and a single type of mini puff pastry. Two days later, fruit and hard boiled eggs have been added (an answer to the Great Protein Revolt of 2009?).
We were there this past week as well and got to experience the initial very pathetic rollout followed by the minor upgrade with fruit/eggs. They actually had a few donuts out on Friday. At least they didn't have the stones to try to charge me an extra $6 for my child.

But beyond that negative quibble, we had an outstanding week-long stay (paid stay). Location, the beach, the pools, shops, penguins, and an upgrade to a high-floor oceanfront (diamond head side) room in the Rainbow tower made the stay simply excellent.

I like the fact it is about 2-3 properties removed from the heart of the nouveau touristy section of Waikiki (the typical vuitton, apple, pf changs cookie-cutter stuff), which kept the beach crowds down relative to other sections of the downtown beach.

We were given 90 minutes in a "hospitality room" to use to freshen up several hours after we checked out, a nice amenity before catching a redeye flight back to the mainland (on UA of course). We were able to use parking in/out privileges after checkout as well until we finally left for the airport.

Last edited by uastarflyer; Apr 14, 2009 at 2:31 am
Old May 5, 2009, 6:33 pm

Programs: United Gold, BA Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Silver
Thumbs down Underwhelmed by Hilton Hawaiian Village

I just got back from a trip to HI. I spent a couple days in the Doubletree in HNL, went off to Big Island for a couple days, and came back to HNL for one last night, which was Hilton Hawaiian Village. We checked in later in the day (9:00PM). In the restroom, on the underside of the toilet seat was diarrhea splatter (size of about a nickle with run off down the seat --all of which dried), which was apparently not cleaned. I called the front desk and they offered to come clean the bathroom. I wanted a new room, preferably on the same floor. They came up about 20 minutes later with a key for another room. The only room on that floor was a jr. suite, which I sort of wondered why they didn't offer that upgrade to me as Diamond, I guess they'd rather keep an open room even though it was late in the day. Anyway, that room also was not very clean. There were large soap/water drops on the bathroom floor, there was easily visible soap grime in the soap dishes, and a large (still wet) wine stain on the carpet.

When checking out the next day, I mentioned the problem with the first room and they directed me to a manager who offered to pay for a taxi to the airport (big whoop). I didn't ask for anything and my fiery side of years ago would have demanded at least a 50 dollar compensation. In any event, the hotel is in a wonderful location but it apparently needs to be taken care better.
Old May 5, 2009, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Originally Posted by novaguy30
they directed me to a manager who offered to pay for a taxi to the airport (big whoop). I didn't ask for anything and my fiery side of years ago would have demanded at least a 50 dollar compensation. In any event, the hotel is in a wonderful location but it apparently needs to be taken care better.
Fyi, a taxi ride from Waikiki to HNL is going to be pretty close to $50. If it's commute time and/or you have a driver that has decided to take advantage of a tourist and get on the freeway during a commute, then you might be looking at $100.

The manager's offer was not something to scoff at.

Your other complaints are legitimate and I would have expected some points issued as compensation.

YMMV

MO
Old May 5, 2009, 9:00 pm

Programs: IC PLat Elite
thats to bad to hear..i was wanting to stay there in dec..hopefully i can get a clean room ha
Old May 5, 2009, 10:03 pm

Programs: United Gold, BA Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Silver
I wasn't going to take him up on the taxi offer b/c I had a rental car (which I told him), and had a late flight (like most out of HNL back to the mainland). He didn't make a counteroffer for anything else. Granted I could have asked for something, but I was going to leave it in his court. I just wanted people to know on here about my experience.
Old May 5, 2009, 10:19 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Call the Guest Assistance folks in Memphis. They are very good at following up on such things, ime.
Old May 6, 2009, 4:56 am

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
I stayed there one time in my HI travels - wasn't impressed just in general with the property and in terms of benefits (lack thereof) extended and haven't been back to the property since even though I go once/yr.
Old May 6, 2009, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by keith1569
thats to bad to hear..i was wanting to stay there in dec..hopefully i can get a clean room ha
I've been there three times since January and haven't encountered anything close to what the OP described.
Old May 18, 2009, 10:49 am

Thumbs up Hilton Hawaiian Village free upgrades

What do I need to do to get a free upgrade at the Hilton Hawaiian Village next month, June 2009. I will be staying there with a booking thru Priceline and wonder how to get an Oceanview upgrade for free
Old May 18, 2009, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Maybe check in wearing a hula skirt and several layers of leis around your neck while carrying a bucket of Mai Tais to show that you are a local.

Seriously,

*Eligible Rate . . . Stays booked via "opaque" channels where the brand is unknown at the time of purchase are not Eligible Stays for the purpose of earning points, miles or stay credit toward VIP tier status, or the receipt of VIP tier benefits such as upgraded accommodations / amenities or access to health clubs. No point or stay credit, airline frequent flyer mileage credit or credit toward tier status will be awarded for "no show" situations . . .
Perhaps you will get lucky and get an oceanview room, there are lots of them in the hotel, but I would not expect one.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by lvioral9
What do I need to do to get a free upgrade at the Hilton Hawaiian Village next month, June 2009. I will be staying there with a booking thru Priceline and wonder how to get an Oceanview upgrade for free
Are you even an HHonors elite? If not, then assume the combination of no HH status + priceline = "garden view" room. However, the HHV offers paid upgrades (based on availability) at check in.
Old May 19, 2009, 12:57 am

Programs: Membership has its benefits, or so I am told.
to stay or not to stay...

that is the question. I have read almost the entire 110 page thread, for the HHV, as well as most of the Hawaii thread, and have have watched the breakfast and amenities come and go at the HHV, and now i am wondering ig it is worth the 120K points to stay. Is ANY HNL property worth the points? I am merely Gold, and will be spending my birthday weekend in Honolulu (after 3 weeks on the Big Island), but now, maybe I oughta think about using Hyatt points?? I don't do family stuff..just me, alone, mainly walking and swimming in the ocean....I'll take the bus around, and just want a nice, clean place to camp...the hospitality suite is a nice idea, but so many negative reports...som one more time, whaddya think??
Old May 19, 2009, 2:37 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
Originally Posted by ITravelThereforeIam
that is the question. I have read almost the entire 110 page thread, for the HHV, as well as most of the Hawaii thread, and have have watched the breakfast and amenities come and go at the HHV, and now i am wondering ig it is worth the 120K points to stay. Is ANY HNL property worth the points? I am merely Gold, and will be spending my birthday weekend in Honolulu (after 3 weeks on the Big Island), but now, maybe I oughta think about using Hyatt points?? I don't do family stuff..just me, alone, mainly walking and swimming in the ocean....I'll take the bus around, and just want a nice, clean place to camp...the hospitality suite is a nice idea, but so many negative reports...som one more time, whaddya think??
might want to go with the embassy suites beach walk.
Old May 19, 2009, 5:27 am

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by ITravelThereforeIam
mainly walking and swimming in the ocean....I'll take the bus around, and just want a nice, clean place to camp...the hospitality suite is a nice idea, but so many negative reports...som one more time, whaddya think??
I'd stay near Diamond Head or even further NE, as the east side of the island has the most beautiful scenery, IMHO. There are some dynamite trails with elevation changes and great views and the beaches are less populated on the east side.

As the breakfast buffet is a joke now, the only thing you'll gain if elite is a good view.

If that isn't important to you, I'd Priceline something and use the 120K at a killer Hilton hotel.

40K for Conrad Tokyo versus 40K for HHV. The decision is not remotely close.

Use your points for expensive hotels or GLONs. A 3 day stay at HHV doesn't qualify.

If you have SPG, I think one of the best deals in HNL is the Sheraton on points and cash. IIRC, something like $60 and 3K points? Make sure to ask for the side away from the market.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.