Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 24, 15, 4:58 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Canarsie
Wiki Link
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on one of the desired years shown below:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Hawaiian Village® Beach Resort & Spa hotel property.

Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 27, 08, 10:59 am

I can join the choir, as I also have 6 nights as Diamond in February at the HHV. However, I'm concerned about the 'quality' of the rooms.

Having seen the photo shots on the i-Map on their website, even the Ali'i Tower (which should be the best of the best at the HHV) leaves me with an interpretation of old furnitures - acutually, it reminds me of a stay at a three star charter hotel (at Costa del Sol) I once had as an exchange student in Europe. Looking back, that was not good.

The pictures from i-Map does not correspond to the pictures of their accommodation on their website... Which is to trust? the i-Map pictures or the pictures on http://www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com...ions/index.asp

I will be travelling with 2 y.o we will be spending much time in the room. If possible, is the Rainbow Tower prefered in terms of view?

We may extend our stay in Honolulu a couple of days. I don't want to use more points than I already have. After having seen the rooms on i-Map I have thought of taking a couple of nights at the Hyatt Waikiki in stead of HHV... But again, the HHonors points are nice to have...
Old Jan 10, 09, 4:38 pm

Hilton Hawaiian Village in December/Christmas

Has anyone stayed at the HHV during Christmas week? Do they do anything special during that time at the hotel and how is the weather and ocean temp during that time?

Thanks much.
D.
Old Jan 10, 09, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Weather for many locations, but here Kailua-Kona specifically:

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...=018219&refer=

Contact for to inquie about Christmas programs:

http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com...ntact_form.cfm
Old Jan 10, 09, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
3Cforme, you're referenced the property on the Big Island, but the OP asked about the property on Oahu.
Old Jan 10, 09, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, Hawn Platinum, Hilton Diamond, PC Spire, IC Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Natl Exe Elite
Discoboy,

I don't know if the HHV does any special during Xmas week, but I can tell you that the water temp only varies by a few degrees year-round. I live in Hawaii and can tell you that people can easily swim all year without being cold. During the winter, some people use a t-shirt in the mornings when the air is a little cooler. Hope you come to Hawaii - we need more tourists. Aloha!
Old Jan 11, 09, 4:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by discoboy View Post
Has anyone stayed at the HHV during Christmas week? Do they do anything special during that time at the hotel and how is the weather and ocean temp during that time?

Thanks much.
D.
We just came back from the HHV. The weather was fine (only rained once) and rather warm if a bit windy... I found the ocean to be cold for my liking (but I have a very low tolerance of cold) but a lot of people were swimming.
I don't know about Christmas (we checked in on December 28) but nothing special was organized for Christmas. As far as I am aware the only "special" events were fixed menu dinners at the Bali and Village Steak & Seafood Village restaurants. We dined at the latter on the New Year's Eve and it was a major disappointment.
Old Jan 26, 09, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: WN AL+/CP, IHG AMB/Plat, HH/Mar Gold, UA Dirt
Bump...similar to last post above, I have 6 night award stay confirmed and am hoping for a decent room as a HH Gold (though the confirmation just says 2 double resort room). I am planning to buy 2 more nights on Oahu preceding the award nights.

Options include:
  1. Buy the lowest price room, hope I get the UG and keep the UG across both reservations
  2. Pay up for the first two nights (i.e pay for rainbow tower) and negotiate to keep the UG room for all nights
  3. Priceline 2 nights at HHV and hope for good fortune on room assignment
  4. Priceline 2 nights elsewhere nearby then move to HHV

Thoughts? I'm guessing I could keep whatever room I get on night 1 through the stay, but I'd like it to be a nice one. Would a direct phone call work better than email?
Old Feb 9, 09, 6:36 pm

Programs: NW Plat, DL 2 MM Flying Colonel, AA EXP MM, CO,NW,UA, MM, Hilton, Hyatt Diamond, QF Club Lifetime
HHV to Close Two Restaurants

Hilton Hawaiian Village closes two restaurants, shifts workers
Pacific Business News

The Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort & Spa will close its Village Steak & Seafood Restaurant and the Tapa Café on March 21.

Approximately 50 employees of the restaurant, in the Rainbow Tower, and cafe, in the Tapa Tower, will be transferred to other departments in the resort.

“The decline in visitor counts, rising costs and severe economic conditions have precipitated this action,” said Jerry Gibson, senior vice president of Hilton Hawaii and managing director of the Hilton Hawaiian Village, in a statement to PBN. “We are committed to offering help to our team members during this transition and our goal is to place as many as possible thr

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif....html?ana=e_du
Old Feb 9, 09, 6:51 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM, 1K; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Too bad, we've enjoyed both of these.
So, no more evening entertainment at the Tapa Cafe? Or will the entertainment/bar area still be in use? Hope so.
Old Feb 9, 09, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
They closed them back in August during one of my stays. Did they re-open them and now officially close them?
Old Feb 10, 09, 8:41 am

Programs: DL FO 1.4MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Too bad, we've enjoyed both of these.
So, no more evening entertainment at the Tapa Cafe? Or will the entertainment/bar area still be in use? Hope so.
I used to have breakfast a lot at Tapa, as I think they opened earlier than Rainbow. On my last stay there, I had to be enroute to work at 6:00 a.m.

David
Old Feb 10, 09, 3:02 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver
Wow. When we stayed there in July, they had closed the Golden Dragon and moved Village Steak and Seafood into it's location, which I thought was a great move (I always like the food at Village, but not the location).

So that's 4 Hilton restaurants in the past two years (Village, Tapa Cafe, Golden Dragon and Pasta Festival). Have their been any closures in the Rainbow Bazaar?
Old Feb 16, 09, 5:13 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
Bump...similar to last post above, I have 6 night award stay confirmed and am hoping for a decent room as a HH Gold (though the confirmation just says 2 double resort room). I am planning to buy 2 more nights on Oahu preceding the award nights.

Options include:
  1. Buy the lowest price room, hope I get the UG and keep the UG across both reservations
  2. Pay up for the first two nights (i.e pay for rainbow tower) and negotiate to keep the UG room for all nights
  3. Priceline 2 nights at HHV and hope for good fortune on room assignment
  4. Priceline 2 nights elsewhere nearby then move to HHV

Thoughts? I'm guessing I could keep whatever room I get on night 1 through the stay, but I'd like it to be a nice one. Would a direct phone call work better than email?
I haven't followed this thread in a while, but will be at HHV the last week in Feb, which is next week.

If others will be there and would like to meet a fellow FTer, please PM.

My family stayed there 2 years ago. We were UGed to an executive double and given the choice of changing to a room in the Rainbow Towers. We kept the exec double.

Breakfast 2 years ago was the full breakfast for all four of us. Looks like the breakfast is more spartan now.

Looking forward to a week in Hawaii.

I asked if we could move to Rainbow last time and they said yes, but the room was too small for 4 of us.

This is my (dated) experience.

The other good deal is SPG points and cash at the Sheraton which is more centrally located, but louder. Like $50 and 3000 points. I was UGed as a Gold last month (their lowest level).

I wouldn't pay for Rainbow and hope it carries over. That's the one I'd eliminate. Either they'll have room for you there or they won't. Things might have changed since I was there though with regard to UGs.
Old Feb 17, 09, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: WN AL+/CP, IHG AMB/Plat, HH/Mar Gold, UA Dirt
Originally Posted by Bikeguy View Post
I wouldn't pay for Rainbow and hope it carries over. That's the one I'd eliminate. Either they'll have room for you there or they won't. Things might have changed since I was there though with regard to UGs.
Thanks for your feedback. I decided to buy the standard room rate for the first nights to avoid shuffling hotels, and then called and told them to link the reservations together for a longer stay - they put my room/tower request in the notes.

I noticed they have an e-standby upgrade offer at $59/night. I think I'll just let it ride instead....
Old Feb 20, 09, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
We just checked into this property last night. We'd decided to try a "standby" paid upgrade and were congratulated at check-in on making the upgrade and being assigned to a garden-view room in the Ali'i Tower.

The room itself was dark and even dingy and looked out on one of the other towers, with the tops of a few palm trees if you go out on the small balcony and look down for the "garden view." Yes, there's a lounge and the chicken skewers and spring rolls were tasty there last night, but the $8 gin and tonics were no particular bargain. We generally don't use hotel fitness facilities as we like to walk outdoors so that's not a deal-breaker to us. YMMV.

We talked to the front desk this morning about checking out a day early and explained our dissatisfaction - we just don't see we got much of anything for Diamond status and the extra payment.

He cheerfully "downgraded" us to the Rainbow Tower - $40 a night cheaper and we're sitting out on our spacious balcony of a bright and cheery room on the 23rd floor with a fantastic view of Diamond Head waiting for the Friday night fireworks. Slightly smaller tub and no bathtubs but the room actually "feels" larger.

I gather we're no longer allowed to use the Ali'i Tower lounge - odd that we're entitled to lounge access in foreign Hiltons but not here - but we're much happier where we are, in a spacious and bright room with a million-dollar view.

"Before" and "after" pictures here from our travel blog.

Cheers,
Fredd

Search this Thread