Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Instant Gold membership for Visa Signature cardholders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Instant Gold membership for Visa Signature cardholders

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm almost certain I used my Chase/BA Signature Visa, but it's been a couple of weeks so I couldn't bet on that.

I think there's a way to check. I tried entering my Chase Visa number at the original site for this promotion found in the first post of this thread. I got a message rejecting my attempt as an "invalid card." I know the card is valid as a Sig card so I then entered another Visa Sig number I have and was allowed to proceed to the next step, which was entering my HHonors account number. I stopped there and didn't enter the number.

I think that means that so long as you attempt to enter a proper Sig number, if you get rejected, it means the card is already entered. If you enter a number and are allowed to proceed, you know that's not the card you used previously.

What I don't know is whether you can register several Sig cards so that you can use each of them to pay for rooms and maintain status. I suspect that once you start using one card, you should continue to use that card for all three stays to qualify, however.
I really like your thought process. I think I'll stick with using the Hyatt VISA for the next 2 stays, and then I have the email above to fall back on if there's a problem. It sure would be nice, in a promo like this, to have either Hilton or VISA have a clue. That being the case, though, reps from both companies have been unfailingly nice about it all.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm almost certain I used my Chase/BA Signature Visa, but it's been a couple of weeks so I couldn't bet on that.

I think there's a way to check. I tried entering my Chase Visa number at the original site for this promotion found in the first post of this thread. I got a message rejecting my attempt as an "invalid card." I know the card is valid as a Sig card so I then entered another Visa Sig number I have and was allowed to proceed to the next step, which was entering my HHonors account number. I stopped there and didn't enter the number.

I think that means that so long as you attempt to enter a proper Sig number, if you get rejected, it means the card is already entered. If you enter a number and are allowed to proceed, you know that's not the card you used previously.

What I don't know is whether you can register several Sig cards so that you can use each of them to pay for rooms and maintain status. I suspect that once you start using one card, you should continue to use that card for all three stays to qualify, however.
I'm having the same issue, but my results differed. I thought I had used my Sapphire card to register for the promotion. I just attempted to reregister this card and got past the first step (i.e. valid visa signature card). When I entered my HHonors # and pin, I got a "You've already registered" message, along with information about making sure to complete my 3 stays by 8/31/11. When I attempted different Visa signature card, I got past the first step (i.e. valid visa signature card), but when I entered my Hhonors # and pin, I got an error message (white page + error message). I then repeated the process with my Sapphire card and got the "you've already registered" once again. I think this is telling me that I registered my Sapphire card and can only register one card.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:08 am

forgive my ignorance, but where does it say that you need to use the visa signature card that you signed up with? don't think hilton will monitor that.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by crazypalooza
forgive my ignorance, but where does it say that you need to use the visa signature card that you signed up with? don't think hilton will monitor that.
I second this. There is no way HH will be able to match the card registered with the cards actually used.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by crazypalooza
forgive my ignorance, but where does it say that you need to use the visa signature card that you signed up with?.
+1. I think as far as we use a Visa Signature card, we should be fine.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
the way i read it, you don't even have to use the visa signature card for your stay, it doesn't say that anywhere in the T&C unless I'm missing something....I think you just have to have the card to be eligible and register.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:06 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by AUDirt
I'm sure other people have already shared this but I'll go ahead and (possibly) repeat them.

I'm legitimately gold from my stays in 2010 but I'm trying to reduce my travel this year. It would have been nice if Hilton would have re-upped me to Feb 2013 with this offer as I'm not 100% sure I'll reach the threshold this year.

As it is, the 5000 bonus points are nice. But gold until 2013 would have been nicer.
Not sure it doesn't apply to you so long as you do the three stays through 8/31. Here's a direct quote from the T&Cs: "Hilton HHonors Members with Blue or Silver status or Gold members not currently participating in another fast track offer will receive HHonors Gold Elite status at the time of registration valid through August 31, 2011. By completing three qualifying stays at any participating hotel and resort in the Hilton Worldwide portfolio by August 31, 2011, Member will retain HHonors Gold Elite status through March 31, 2013. Thereafter, standard requirements must be met to maintain HHonors Gold Elite status."

You're not automatically extended unless you do the three stays, but I don't see that Hilton has excluded current, previously qualified Golds from taking advantage of this offer, so long as you meet the three-stay requirement.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:13 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ianturner
the way i read it, you don't even have to use the visa signature card for your stay, it doesn't say that anywhere in the T&C unless I'm missing something....I think you just have to have the card to be eligible and register.
I know I read somewhere (and not necessarily in the T&Cs, maybe just in this thread) that the payment had to be through the Visa Sig you registered, but you are absolutely correct that the T&Cs don't mention this requirement--registration with the Visa Sig card is all that's necessary. I'll still use my Chase/BA Visa just to be sure. It would be good if we had additional confirmation. Better safe than sorry, in other words.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
It does, and this has been confirmed several times in this thread via T&C as well as responses from HH reps.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 5:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox
It does, and this has been confirmed several times in this thread via T&C as well as responses from HH reps.
please quote it then, as i can not find it
Old Jul 15, 2011, 5:18 am

Programs: Anything CC gives me
please quote it then, as i can not find it
Wow...seriously? Did you even do a search on the thread? Or read any of it? Post 96, page 7. Or promotion FAQ page paragraph one.

You want it hand delivered to you next?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 5:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SK AAR
I second this. There is no way HH will be able to match the card registered with the cards actually used.
There are ways that it could be done. Whether or not it will be done, that's another matter.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:17 pm

I realized that I had heard about condition for using the Visa Sig card used to sign up for the payment for the three qualifying stays on a radio commercial in the DC area when I was back up here today and again heard the commercial. As we've seen, the T&Cs aren't as explicit on this as they should be, but I'm not sure what the advantage is to testing the waters other than attempting to meet the spend needed for another credit card.

As there generally is in life, there are a couple of choices here. You can pay for your stays with the Visa Sig you used to sign up for the promotion--and know that you should get credit for the stays. Or you can take the risk of using some other card, maybe even a non-Visa Sig or an Amex or a Chase, and then seeing if Hilton notices. And if they notice, trying to win the argument with a CSR or manager.

I don't have any concerns about the folks who take on this challenge for themselves, but I think we should be aware that there are some folks who lurk and simply take the advice here who might get dinged going for the more adventurous approach.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by booyaa
Wow...seriously? Did you even do a search on the thread? Or read any of it? Post 96, page 7. Or promotion FAQ page paragraph one.

You want it hand delivered to you next?
+1, numerous times.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Maybe this had been answered before, but are Point Stretcher stays considered "qualifying stays" if you pay for incidentals with yr Visa Signt. card?

Last edited by SK AAR; Jul 17, 2011 at 10:42 pm Reason: 2nd Q already answered

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.