Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Helsinki Kalastajatorppa {FIN}

Hilton Helsinki Kalastajatorppa {FIN}

Old Jun 7, 11, 10:04 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Posts: 2,174
Arrow Hilton Helsinki Kalastajatorppa {FIN}

Hilton Helsinki Kalastajatorppa boasts strong ratings on TripAdvisor, but there's not much information available here on FlyerTalk.

Does anyone have any recent experiences to share? What amenities can I expect as a Diamond VIP? I'd also welcome any advice on room selection, nearby activities, transportation from the airport, etc.

Last edited by MS02113; Jun 7, 11 at 10:21 pm Reason: airport transportation inquiry
MS02113 is offline  
Old Jun 7, 11, 10:36 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Baltic Sea
Programs: AY, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Posts: 5,817
Originally Posted by MS02113 View Post
Hilton Helsinki Kalastajatorppa boasts strong ratings on TripAdvisor, but there's not much information available here on FlyerTalk.

Does anyone have any recent experiences to share? What amenities can I expect as a Diamond VIP? I'd also welcome any advice on room selection, nearby activities, transportation from the airport, etc.
The search engine should not have any difficulties in finding "Kalastajatorppa"...
tsastor is offline  
Old Jun 8, 11, 8:08 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 42,032
Was just there in May- nice property, but odd how its all connected below with a series of tunnels. As a Gold, ended up with a smallish room, but nice, Ocean View. They have a buffet breakfast, with several Finnish delicacies such as pickled fish, lox, and rye bread. Mmm. Smallish pool, but they do have the obligatory sauna- dang the locals enjoy the heat. As public transportation, its a bit far from the central train station, involving a 30-40 minute [can't recall] tram ride, and a 5 minute walk up a hill. So not very convenient for doing stuff 'in the city' but a nice location to relax. Let me know if you have any other questions.
beckoa is online now  
Old Jun 8, 11, 8:12 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: JFK/LGA
Programs: AA Plt Pro/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Posts: 5,210
As stated it is a little outside of the center on the sea. Very pleasant in the summer, but desolate in the winter.
pauleeepaul is online now  
Old Jun 8, 11, 11:08 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Posts: 2,174
Originally Posted by tsastor View Post
The search engine should not have any difficulties in finding "Kalastajatorppa"...
...but the results it returns were all posted several years ago. I'm looking for more recent experiences. Plus, there was no dedicated thread for this property.

Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Was just there in May- nice property, but odd how its all connected below with a series of tunnels. As a Gold, ended up with a smallish room, but nice, Ocean View. They have a buffet breakfast, with several Finnish delicacies such as pickled fish, lox, and rye bread. Mmm. Smallish pool, but they do have the obligatory sauna- dang the locals enjoy the heat. As public transportation, its a bit far from the central train station, involving a 30-40 minute [can't recall] tram ride, and a 5 minute walk up a hill. So not very convenient for doing stuff 'in the city' but a nice location to relax. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks for the information. I'm of Finnish descent, so the breakfast offerings and hot sauna sound great.

There'll be two children (ages 7 and 9) in my party, so I hope the nearby Seurasaari open air museum can entertain them for an afternoon. I've read elsewhere that the hotel offers bicycles for guest use. Can you confirm?

Also, how is the beach? I imagine that the water is freezing, but it may be good for a dip after the sauna?
MS02113 is offline  
Old Jun 8, 11, 11:32 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Milan
Programs: BA Gold (CCR), Cartafreccia, HH Diamond, Esselunga Fidaty Gold
Posts: 388
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Was just there in May- nice property, but odd how its all connected below with a series of tunnels. As a Gold, ended up with a smallish room, but nice, Ocean View. They have a buffet breakfast, with several Finnish delicacies such as pickled fish, lox, and rye bread. Mmm. Smallish pool, but they do have the obligatory sauna- dang the locals enjoy the heat. As public transportation, its a bit far from the central train station, involving a 30-40 minute [can't recall] tram ride, and a 5 minute walk up a hill. So not very convenient for doing stuff 'in the city' but a nice location to relax. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Are you sure you were in Helsinki?
Aldebaran is offline  
Old Jun 8, 11, 11:52 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Helsinki
Programs: BAEC Gold, TK E, HHonors Gold
Posts: 225
Originally Posted by MS02113 View Post
There'll be two children (ages 7 and 9) in my party, so I hope the nearby Seurasaari open air museum can entertain them for an afternoon. I've read elsewhere that the hotel offers bicycles for guest use. Can you confirm?

Also, how is the beach? I imagine that the water is freezing, but it may be good for a dip after the sauna?
Seurasaari is definetely great for kids but also for adults. Beatiful island full of old Finnish buildings. There are tame squarrels, little birds, swans and wild ducks all around to wathch and maybe feed. Also sheeps might graze there. I live quite nearby and visit there often.

Sea water temperature is about +16 centigrades at the moment and warming up quickly. So definetely not colder than in San Diego at summer for example. The beach is small but enough for kids at your ages. I know because tried it on age of your kids, yeah, nearly 30 years ago but still
Anselmi is offline  
Old Jun 8, 11, 1:18 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Posts: 1,856
When are you going?
It is on point stretcher list, so maybe a good value redemption.
ORD-TGU is offline  
Old Jun 8, 11, 1:56 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Posts: 2,174
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU View Post
When are you going?
It is on point stretcher list, so maybe a good value redemption.
I see that the hotel offers Point Stretcher rates for the full month of July, but I'll be visiting in late June. Still, as a category 5 property, the regular redemption rates aren't too painful. I might pass through Helsinki again on the tail end of my trip, so perhaps I can take advantage of the reduced rates then.
MS02113 is offline  
Old Jun 8, 11, 11:05 pm
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 42,032
Originally Posted by MS02113 View Post
Thanks for the information. I'm of Finnish descent, so the breakfast offerings and hot sauna sound great.

There'll be two children (ages 7 and 9) in my party, so I hope the nearby Seurasaari open air museum can entertain them for an afternoon. I've read elsewhere that the hotel offers bicycles for guest use. Can you confirm?

Also, how is the beach? I imagine that the water is freezing, but it may be good for a dip after the sauna?
Did put my foot in the water- was early May so I didn't venture in further- but could be nice after the sauna. I think some of the finns were jumping between the sauna and the pool though. No idea on bicycles- and didn't have enough time to check out the area sadly, but should work well.
beckoa is online now  
Old Jun 9, 11, 2:07 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Baltic Sea
Programs: AY, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Posts: 5,817
Originally Posted by MS02113 View Post
...but the results it returns were all posted several years ago. I'm looking for more recent experiences. Plus, there was no dedicated thread for this property.
...
Also, how is the beach? I imagine that the water is freezing, but it may be good for a dip after the sauna?
There was a dedicated thread, still listed in the Hilton Family Hotel Master Thread, but it seems to be deleted or the link doesn't work. Anyway I understand now why you ask.

The hotel itself hasn't changed much in the last five years, I was there last time in May as well. My gold amenities are always two bottles of water () and some chocolates. When I was diamond I got a bottle of wine as well. There is no lounge in this property (which is the main drawback), but it is still my favorite hotel in Finland and one of the best Hiltons IMO.

The previous posters are right, although you don't have to use the tunnels, of course, if you can stand a little bit of fresh air. Also, the way up to the hotel from the tram is really not that steep.

You asked about the beach. The one by the saunas is small but ok. Before last year there was a small pier but for some reason they took it away. The beach and inside pool should be ok for you and your children (as long as they can swim, of course).

Last edited by tsastor; Jun 10, 11 at 1:43 pm Reason: Realized the children are probably proficient swimmers.
tsastor is offline  
Old Jun 10, 11, 1:16 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Asia/Europe
Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Posts: 7,236
Originally Posted by MS02113 View Post
Hilton Helsinki Kalastajatorppa boasts strong ratings on TripAdvisor, but there's not much information available here on FlyerTalk.

Does anyone have any recent experiences to share? What amenities can I expect as a Diamond VIP? I'd also welcome any advice on room selection, nearby activities, transportation from the airport, etc.
I have travelled there with one of my bosses who is a HH Diamond VIP and he and his family were upgraded to one of their suites from a points redemption executive room.
mosburger is offline  
Old Sep 12, 11, 6:54 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier PLT, Hilton Honors, Diamond, Priority Club - Platinum, SPG Platinum
Posts: 52
Hilton Helsinki Kalastajatorppa - Negative Experience

Not impressed with this hotel. Booked combination of Honors Points and Cash as I had to get two rooms. Pretty much the standard if you are travelling with kids in Europe. Read the reviews on Trip Advisor thought it was going to be a really good hotel. After reviewing my credit card statements they double charged me on my meals. I emailed them to correct this and they wouldn't respond. I have a Chase Presidential card from Continental and I called them to dispute the charge.. Wow, the next day I got an email from this hotel stating they double charged and would credit me back. No apology or anything. Was not impressed, but very impressed with Chase!

Would not stay here again.. service was quite lousy, didn't feel I was afforded any Diamond priveldges at all..
Timelord is offline  
Old Sep 12, 11, 7:39 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,192
Diamond benefits are specified and vary by brand. What were you expecting? What was not delivered?
3Cforme is offline  
Old Sep 13, 11, 7:04 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: LHR
Programs: UA Million Miler, Hilton HHonors Gold
Posts: 1,062
Well, my TripAdvisor review from a couple months ago was pretty negative, but I agree that I was fooled by the mostly positive reviews. You arrived convinced that it's going to be something quite special (private beach, large sauna complex, rural location within spitting distance of the city, etc) but it doesn't measure up at all.

The city centre Hilton Helsinki Strand is tired and old but I much preferred it to Kalastajatorppa.
Karter is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: