Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Honors account information security data breach

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honors account information security data breach

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by cordelli
That's pretty funny. It is about as far from the reality of the relation between Epsilon and Hilton as one could possibly get.

Epsilon has access to way more than the email and first name. Way more.
But that wasn't where the breach occurred. It was the email database, not the account one. Unless you know different.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Hilton, Walgreens, and at least two other emails which I just deleted...
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
I got an email Best Buy but no one else. I heard Marriott was one of companies too.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:49 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
But that wasn't where the breach occurred. It was the email database, not the account one. Unless you know different.
I was not and will not comment on where the breach occured.

I was commenting on the post that said, quoting

The compromised data shouldn't include CC information. Epsilon is a mass-mailer service, they'll have email addresses and probably names (first only ?) so the worst that's likely to happen is you get a phishing or infected e-mail.

I hope Epsilon doesn't even have the capability of storing more data even if its clients are dumb enough to send it.
I simply said that Epsilon has considerably more information from HHonors members than just first name and e-mail address as was said in the post.

The concept of Epsilon not storing any additional data other than e-mail and first name for HHonors members is not at all based in reality, nor do clients like Hilton need to "send it" to them.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I simply said that Epsilon has considerably more information from HHonors members than just first name and e-mail address as was said in the post.
I assume they need more information in order to be able to target individuals based on some criteria with HHonors marketing messages.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 4:41 am

I have notified Hilton about the problem repeatedly. The 1st time on the 27th of September 2010. Emails, faxes, phonecalls. ZERO RESPONSE.

I KNOW it was Hilton because the barrage of filth and malicious emails (typically trying to get me to update Skype & Acrobat) started just before then.

How do I know it was Hilton? Because the unique email address I registered with them was

[email protected]

I am today contacting them, since the warning they have issued fails to address the scope of the malice. They have an obligation to fully warn recipients.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 5:53 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
I am looking for at least 100,000 point compensation
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:01 am

I was not and will not comment on where the breach occured.

The concept of Epsilon not storing any additional data other than e-mail and first name for HHonors members is not at all based in reality, nor do clients like Hilton need to "send it" to them.
I can't argue with you as I have no knowledge of Epsilon's architecture nor the nature of the hack.

It's possible they are lying and that personal data is compromised, but I can see no upside in trying to hide something that would inevitably become public. For now I'll accept the claim that simply names and email addresses are in the wild. That would be consistent with best practices in keeping the mailer function and server totally separate from other databases, and I would also not expect to find any cross-population of irrelevant data.

I could well be wrong.

ETA from infosecurity-magazine.com
As reported previously, marketing company Epsilon revealed late on Friday that its opt-in marketing email database - which it operates for a number of mainly US firms - had been breached.
bolding mine.

Last edited by Wally Bird; Apr 5, 2011 at 9:12 am
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by sk3
Interesting, in agreement with Wally Bird, I've noticed for sometime that logging in to Hilton is with an unsecured URL. I've had bookmarked HH's homepage and that's where I've always logged in:
http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/home_index.do

The page that notquiteaff linked I'd only see when I enter my account number incorrectly, and I would always just close out of that page. But I've now bookmarked notquiteaff's link and I'll be using that from now on.
Exactly. One should not have to 'know' an alternative URL in order to bypass the insecure transmission of account & PIN. If the home page has to be non-SSL for some reason then the login should be a link and those data entry fields removed.

I mean it's not like you don't have to enter the data again (and again) to get anywhere when you drill down .
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:19 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
While any further discussion is pointless, I do need to clear up that I never said or implied, nor do I believe, that Epsilon was lying, or that any other system than what they have publicly stated was compromised. I'm not even sure why that's part of the discussion, but it was never anything I said.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:57 pm

While any further discussion is pointless, I do need to clear up that I never said or implied, nor do I believe, that Epsilon was lying, or that any other system than what they have publicly stated was compromised. I'm not even sure why that's part of the discussion, but it was never anything I said.
And I never said or implied that you said or implied Epsilon was lying. OK ?

I maintained, based on the limited information available to the public, that it was a mailing list which was compromised and that such a database did not need to contain any personal data and such data (if supplied) should be discarded when entries are made.

I agree, further discussion does seem pointless unless anyone is keeping score of the 'points'.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by sunil
I do think the letter was a weak apology and probably the result of a legal review.
Where was the apology? Mine had zero apology, zero acceptance of responsibility.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: *A Gold
Got the same kinda mail from around 10 companies so far. I think epsilon is gone...
Old Apr 6, 2011, 8:53 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Here's a listing of the affected companies (which may grow)

http://www.securityweek.com/massive-...s-major-brands
Old Apr 6, 2011, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz Gold / Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Plat / Marriott Gold / IC RA / SPG Plat
got the same email from Marriott.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.