Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Points and Money Rewards: The Definitive Thread

Points and Money Rewards: The Definitive Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 26, 17, 1:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
For detailed info on Points & Money Rewards award nights, see Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED March 2015]

For the Hilton Honors Points & Money Rewards FAQ, please see here.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 8, 11, 3:29 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
That's a contention you've made in several threads. Beta work is common in programming. If this rollout is limited by geography or specific properties this is actually a very sensible way to introduce it. Very few people staying with Hilton on any given night show the same keen anxiety over unadvertised features of the web site.
Do I not have the right to voice my dissatisfaction?

And sure, I agree with you. The majority of people in the general public wouldn't pull a hair over this. But do you contend that FTers fall into the category of the "general public"? Have you read the many recent posts with complaints that now it's proved impossilbe to book ANY reward reservation and have you seen all the posts mentioning how less than useful phone CSRs are right now? Based on everything I've been reading here lately what seems out of place are posts in defense of Hilton.com - but everyone IS entitled to their opinion.
Old Apr 8, 11, 6:00 pm

Programs: AC MM SE; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
Question Hilton cash and points

In the SPG section (where i mainly participate) there is talk about Hilton moving to a cash and points option and a referance to details http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...-on-their-way/

why is there no discussion of this here?
Old Apr 8, 11, 6:19 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...y-rewards.html
Old Apr 9, 11, 8:42 pm

The Hilton website has a demo video that I found helpful. http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/...ndemo/index.do
Old Apr 10, 11, 9:06 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by amanuensis View Post
The Hilton website has a demo video that I found helpful. http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/...ndemo/index.do
Notice the number of points for a premium room! The demo shows that the grossly inflated numbers are not a programming anomaly. Hilton really thinks people are going to spend up to 6-7 times the number of points for a standard room in order to confirm a premium room.

I suspect the uptake on this feature will be very low.
Old Apr 11, 11, 4:20 am

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Plat)
Originally Posted by Guava View Post
I think your experience is more typical of an European HH Diamond member. However, Suite upgrade happen more often in North America. I found it hard to get Suite upgrade in Europe even though they tend to treat Diamond member with greater respect and more additional benefits. In North America, Suite upgrade are surprisingly frequent. Even taking my last 10 stays into account, excluding Hampton Inns, which typically do not carry Suites, I'd say the probability is about 50-50. And when there is a Suite upgrade, it's usually very good Suites, far better than the so called Standard Suite from SPG hotels.
I wonder if your stays tend to be of different lengths in the U.S. and Europe? In my experience, I can often get suite upgrades for one-night stays in the U.S., but this varies a lot by property, and is much harder on longer stays.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by travelinfoo View Post
With the advent of CC Diamonds and NOR-1 upgrades, IME, the number and quality of complementary upgrades have already noticeably decreased overseas. Adding another, easier means of getting an upgrade, guaranteed-no less, is going to decrease the inventory for complementary upgrades even further. Though if ppl redeem points for upgrades you can't get, e.g., suites, that shouldn't affect the ER pool. However, if lower status or no status ppl use points for ER upgrades, that does decrease the available pool for complementary Diamond upgrades.
You are probably right, *sigh*. But what is an ER upgrade? "Executive Rounge"?
Old Apr 11, 11, 6:40 am
Aman Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by anabolism View Post

You are probably right, *sigh*. But what is an ER upgrade? "Executive Rounge"?
I am guessing Executive room

FDW
Old Apr 11, 11, 8:21 am

has anyone found

any hotels that are actually offering " points and money "

so far i can't find any
Old Apr 11, 11, 9:15 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC,LifeMiles
Originally Posted by bharv View Post
any hotels that are actually offering " points and money "

so far i can't find any
Me neither! Does anyone actually know when this is to be launched in reality as opposed to proving the conceptual framework......
Old Apr 11, 11, 1:40 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Now, if they really want to come up to the level of Starwood points flexibility, will they let us use HH points like cash at checkout to pay for food or other expenses? Many Starwood properties accept points like cash. Example 700 SPG points = $10 off your final checkout bill. In some resorts, the buffet breakfast = x SPG points. I love that about Starwood and hope Hilton Honors starts doing that. If they do that, I'll be using my Amex HH Surpass card for everything.
Old Apr 12, 11, 10:15 am

Programs: OVER ENTITLED United 1K 2MM HHonors Diamond ICH Club Platinum Marriott Gold
Confirmed outrageous points with DD

I'm going to the Seychelles for my honeymoon. The price difference between an Oceanfront villa and an Hillside villa is ~120 USD. The difference in points is ~200,000 per night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Online it said I could purchase those points for my 6 night stay for something like $25,000. Ummm no.

I called the DD and they confirmed that the extra cost in points was per night and not divided by 6 nights. Why even have the program? Is anyone that stupid? I would rather bribe the front desk guy with a few hundred dollars than shell out and extra 1.2 million point to look at an ocean for 6 days. Hell for that number of points I could stay at the resort looking at the hillside for a month or more.
Old Apr 12, 11, 11:05 am

It is appearing to me that this program is directed towards cash poor but point rich business travelers who stay with Hilton so much for their job that they earn points faster than they can find something to spend them on. If that person wants to have a special vacation with the spouse s/he might be willing to spend whatever points it takes to make that vacation special but not be willing to spend actual cash.
Old Apr 12, 11, 11:34 am

Programs: OVER ENTITLED United 1K 2MM HHonors Diamond ICH Club Platinum Marriott Gold
It is appearing to me that this program is directed towards cash poor but point rich business travelers who stay with Hilton so much for their job that they earn points faster than they can find something to spend them on. If that person wants to have a special vacation with the spouse s/he might be willing to spend whatever points it takes to make that vacation special but not be willing to spend actual cash.
I agree that is the aim, but WHATEVER points necessary? In my example the room worth 320 Euros is 50k per night and the room worth 380 Euros is worth 240k per night. Not logical. If the "upgraded" room cost 5 times as much, ok, but it isn't. What's next, only 200,000 points for breakfast, or 50,000 points for a bottle of water?
Old Apr 12, 11, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by sailanacra View Post
I agree that is the aim, but WHATEVER points necessary? In my example the room worth 320 Euros is 50k per night and the room worth 380 Euros is worth 240k per night. Not logical. If the "upgraded" room cost 5 times as much, ok, but it isn't. What's next, only 200,000 points for breakfast, or 50,000 points for a bottle of water?
I get what you are saying, but look on the bright side. The only people who would have enough points to afford the offer would be those who stay so frequently for their job that they are Gold or Diamond. Golds or Diamonds using points to upgrade to a suite increases the pool of free upgrades available to everyone else since suites were never (at least officially) in the pool of free upgrades available and the person staying in the suite on points might have been the person who instead got a free room upgrade instead of you. And instead you got that free upgrade.
Old Apr 12, 11, 12:28 pm

I get what you are saying, but look on the bright side. The only people who would have enough points to afford the offer would be those who stay so frequently for their job that they are Gold or Diamond. Golds or Diamonds using points to upgrade to a suite increases the pool of free upgrades available to everyone else since suites were never (at least officially) in the pool of free upgrades available and the person staying in the suite on points might have been the person who instead got a free room upgrade instead of you. And instead you got that free upgrade.
Perhaps...except in my case it isn't a suite...it's just a room that faces the other direction. The rooms are exactly the same in every other respect. I'm going to take my chances and play the pity role as it is a honeymoon...or I'll bribe.

Search this Thread