Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton New York Fashion District {US-NY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton New York Fashion District {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:45 pm

stayed here last month - very solid. hhonors status was recognized immediately upon check-in, got the coupons, a nice note in the room. room was clean albeit small (but normal for NY standards)

but for the people who are concerned about food etc, this is an awesome, awesome location...it's a waste to eat in the hotel aside from a quick breakfast. within a 5-10 minute walk:

1. shake shack in madison square park
2. eataly and birreria
3. hill country + hill country fried chicken
4. koreatown
5. lots of fancy options: gramercy tavern, 11 madison park, craft
etc etc...
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:56 am
Suspended

thanks jamesteroh and japaik; seems like the property is a solid choice! my only concern is to get better rest after long flight arriving in JFK at 8pm
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:16 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Hilton New York Fashion District - Internet

Was hoping someone might have the generic internet code/password for July for this property. I am staying this weekend and was planning on taking advantage of my AT&T WiFi that comes with my home service but apparently this is the only Hilton property in New York City that does not have an AT&T hotspot. It's too late to cancel my reservation and I think paying upwards of $60 for internet is silly. Any help would be appreciated!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I gave up on Hilton for most of last year after the devaluation, but I came back to this property on a three-night weekend stay earlier this month as it was $103/night (!!) using the MVP rate - just too good to pass up. Plus, I had stayed here many times before and always had good experiences.

As a Diamond I was upgraded to a High Floor King (21st floor) having booked a Regular Queen. My father-in-law was also at the hotel; he's a HH Gold and booked and received a Regular King that was smaller than my room. He was told no upgrades were available. We were each given two full breakfast vouchers per person per day - I think that the breakfast is one of the strong suits for this hotel. Over the course of three days we tried several items on the menu and everything was good - good french toast, good eggs benedict, etc. The quality is much higher than your typical lounge breakfast, and in terms of quality far exceeds the Hilton NY (for example).

The High Floor King had a great view to downtown and a window that opened just a bit. Despite being right behind the elevator banks, I hardly heard any elevator noise and I'm pretty sensitive to that. The room is not large, but it was fine for two people and the bathroom was just fine.

The hotel is extremely convenient to Penn Station - if arriving by train, you can walk to the hotel in ten minutes. The area immediately around the hotel doesn't have much going on, but in just a few blocks you can be in Chelsea, Madison Square Park, Union Square, etc. I like the location.

The only issue I had was that the first night, the TV turned on by itself at 5AM. I thought it was just a fluke, but then the next night it also turned on by itself at 5AM. I couldn't find any kind of timer so I asked the front desk to address it. They said they sent someone to fix it, but the third night the TV once again came on at 5AM. Oh well, not a huge deal.

The staff here is friendly and I have stayed here many times over the last 2-3 years; even though I'm not crazy about HHonors right now, I would gladly return to this hotel.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by River in Sight
I gave up on Hilton for most of last year after the devaluation, but I came back to this property on a three-night weekend stay earlier this month as it was $103/night (!!) using the MVP rate - just too good to pass up. Plus, I had stayed here many times before and always had good experiences.

As a Diamond I was upgraded to a High Floor King (21st floor) having booked a Regular Queen. My father-in-law was also at the hotel; he's a HH Gold and booked and received a Regular King that was smaller than my room. He was told no upgrades were available. We were each given two full breakfast vouchers per person per day - I think that the breakfast is one of the strong suits for this hotel. Over the course of three days we tried several items on the menu and everything was good - good french toast, good eggs benedict, etc. The quality is much higher than your typical lounge breakfast, and in terms of quality far exceeds the Hilton NY (for example).

The High Floor King had a great view to downtown and a window that opened just a bit. Despite being right behind the elevator banks, I hardly heard any elevator noise and I'm pretty sensitive to that. The room is not large, but it was fine for two people and the bathroom was just fine.

The hotel is extremely convenient to Penn Station - if arriving by train, you can walk to the hotel in ten minutes. The area immediately around the hotel doesn't have much going on, but in just a few blocks you can be in Chelsea, Madison Square Park, Union Square, etc. I like the location.

The only issue I had was that the first night, the TV turned on by itself at 5AM. I thought it was just a fluke, but then the next night it also turned on by itself at 5AM. I couldn't find any kind of timer so I asked the front desk to address it. They said they sent someone to fix it, but the third night the TV once again came on at 5AM. Oh well, not a huge deal.

The staff here is friendly and I have stayed here many times over the last 2-3 years; even though I'm not crazy about HHonors right now, I would gladly return to this hotel.
I want to sincerely thank you for your review of this hotel. I have an upcoming trip planned with my mom and the rates are quite inexpensive for late February, even for winter. The location is fine with me and the breakfast sounds great. My only concern is the street noise/rooftop bar noise some reviews have mention. Did either of those bother you? It's crazy that I am even asking about noise. I have lived in Chicago for ten years and noise still bothers me.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
My only concern is the street noise/rooftop bar noise some reviews have mention.
Hi Andrea. You are certainly welcome. I am typically pretty sensitive to noise, but I did not have any noise issues at this hotel on this last stay and I can't recall issues on other stays. That said, I was facing south so I was not actually looking at the street - just rooftops. If you are worried about street noise, perhaps you could ask for a south-facing room. My in-laws did have a north facing room looking over the street, but when I asked them if they had any issues with street noise they also said "no". Hope that helps!

PS: If you book, my advice would be to keep checking for a cheaper rate. I initially booked at $127/nt, which I thought was a good deal, but checked again two days before checkin and it was down to $103/nt. Keep monitoring things and maybe you will also end up with an even better deal.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
agreed, no noise issues from me - - from the bar and/or the street below. Big fan of this property.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
free bottle of red wine for diamonds-new benefit?

Staying here right now with a friend who is gold in another room.

I was given a bottle of red wine and thanked for being a diamond at check in. He checked in right after me and was only given the two waters as a gold.

I wasnt in the mood for wine last night and gave it to my friend and it was a a cabernet and he said it was very good for a free wine.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 8:42 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Staying here right now
Me too. I also got the pink bag with water in it.

I like the hotel design and front desk staff are great but damn what a noisy place. Not bothered by the street noise but every giggle, fart, footstep, tap turning on, door closing, bag rustling I can hear. I will check later but I think my door is made of sponge cake or something, sounds as if people are in my room.

I am down the end of the corridor on 17th floor, I cannot imagine what it is like in a area with more footfall.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:26 pm

Breakfast Burger!

For me the Breakfast Burger with a side of fruit is the best free breakfast perk. As it is a high-end burger/steak joint I order mine Rare, just like the name of the restaurant and have never been disappointed. Not for everyone but quite delicious.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
My five night stay at this property started off on a negative note. After five nights at the DoubleTree Metropolitan I was breaking up my 10 nights in NYC with two nights in Atlantic City. I called the Hilton to see if they would store my bags for two days in advance of my arrival, while I went to AC. The gentleman I spoke to on the phone wasn't sure so he put me on hold and checked with a colleague. He then said it shouldn't be a problem, when I arrive speak with X. So I did. And it turns out "shouldn't be a problem" actually meant "We don't store bags more than one day. There'll be a $5 charge". Hmmm. Interestingly, the guy I spoke with on the phone, Gil, was standing out the front of the hotel when I arrived to drop off my bags. At that point I couldn't tell whether or not he was an employee; he had no badge and simply stood there as I got out of the cab and retrieved my bags. A poor concierge if ever there was one.

Anyway, when I returned two days later the check-in agent noted a remark on my reservation about the bags and the apparent $5 charge. I expressed my dissatisfaction about what had transpired, stating that when I called, in advance, the clear indication was that it would be fine. The check-in agent asked if I'd spoken with management. I said I'd asked to speak to concierge. It was strange to me that a routine request would need to go to management but it evolved that the concierge service is out-sourced, hence the issue. A duty manager overhead the conversation and assured me there would be no charge for the luggage storage.

Fortunately, that was the only bad point of the stay. I was otherwise very impressed. I was upgraded to a high floor king that reasonably spacious for an NYC and had a partial view of the Empire State Building. I asked for the fully-stocked automatic mini-bar to be removed so I could put in my own things in the fridge but was offered a min-fridge instead which was perfectly fine.

The gym was basic and not worth much. Wifi was decent. Housekeeping was great. It was one of the very few hotels I've ever stayed at that puts its money where its mouth is when it comes to green initiatives. I hung my used towels and they weren't replaced which is just the way it should be. There are two computers in the lobby for complimentary use which includes printing. The hotel is about three streets from the nearest subway which is worse than the DoubleTree Metropolitan but there are two wash 'n' fold laundries almost directly opposite the hotel, a Chipotle and BRG on one corner and a couple of bars on the same street. With the exception of the two concierge chaps, all staff I encountered were friendly, professional and eager to help.

Breakfast was in the restaurant which has quite a nice atmosphere. Continental was the only complimentary option but that included four hot items at the buffet: scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages and French toast which was more than adequate for me.

I arrived by taxi from the 42nd St bus station and left for JFK using a shuttle.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: QF SG
I like this hotel also but curiously was told that you can't leave bags overnight and paying for the service wasn't given as an option. I've never warned to the bellmen at this hotel. It might be the hats.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by danger
Breakfast was in the restaurant which has quite a nice atmosphere. Continental was the only complimentary option but that included four hot items at the buffet: scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages and French toast which was more than adequate for me.
I was just there this weekend. My breakfast benefit has been what it always is, the choice of items from a special menu or the buffet. Plenty of hot items on the menu, including eggs benedict. I wish they had more omlette choices out the rare burger omlette but still a great selection compared to a lot of US domestic Hilton breakfasts. I really like the fresh fruit side they give as a side when ordering off the menu.

Only real drawbacks to this hotel is street noise can be a problem at times and no upgraded rooms outside of getting on a higher floor. Never an issue getting a 2 p.m. (or even 4 p.m. on the couple times I have asked) checkout, but IMO, a 4 p.m. checkout should be given as a standard diamond benefit anyway
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I was just there this weekend. My breakfast benefit has been what it always is, the choice of items from a special menu or the buffet. Plenty of hot items on the menu, including eggs benedict. I wish they had more omlette choices out the rare burger omlette but still a great selection compared to a lot of US domestic Hilton breakfasts. I really like the fresh fruit side they give as a side when ordering off the menu.
My wife (gold) stayed there a couple weeks ago and was only given the buffet and not the other menu options I have received in the past. I'm glad to hear you still received the menu option since I usually have the Rare breakfast burger or the eggs Bennie as a diamond. Perhaps this is a change only for the gold's??? I hope they don't make the change for diamonds as well.

I have had the breakfast buffet as well, and the selection is pretty good.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
My wife (gold) stayed there a couple weeks ago and was only given the buffet and not the other menu options I have received in the past. I'm glad to hear you still received the menu option since I usually have the Rare breakfast burger or the eggs Bennie as a diamond. Perhaps this is a change only for the gold's??? I hope they don't make the change for diamonds as well.

I have had the breakfast buffet as well, and the selection is pretty good.
Could be. Saturday morning I told the hostess I had a voucher and she asked to see it and handed me a menu and said the server would be with me soon and then the server said I could order off that menu or have the buffet. Second morning I had the same hostess and server and she didn't ask to see the voucher but I'm pretty sure she remembered me and I know the server did since he asked if I wanted a diet coke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.