Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton New York Fashion District {US-NY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton New York Fashion District {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by wendySFO
Forgot to mentioned, since the rooms are pretty much the same, upgrade is "higher floor" per the agent I spoke with.

She also stressed need to have the correct MyWay choice to get breakfast coupons. Not bad for a new Hilton that employees knows the HHonors program :-) I had experience before checkin at newly branded Hilton and front desk person insisted only Silver member get breakfast.
I am staing at the LV hilton this weekend and just changed myway to the 1K bonus points since all diamonds get breakfast at that property anyway (that's the only property I every use the bonus points as my way for unless I am doing a park and fly and have an early morning flight and know I won't be able to eat at the property) so I'll have to remember to switch it back after this stay if they won't switch it at th property.

That is great a new employee knows the program. That is pretty sad that a hilton employee thinks only silver gets breakfast. I guess it worked out great for their silver guests staying there though
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Noticed this travelzoo deal I snagged today for a 3 nights stay in early June and Fri. & Sat. at $219 while Sun. was $159. ^

http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/new-york/1013082/
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Just had a stay here. Here are my observations:

26th St at night was quite calm and quiet, since it's not a main thoroughfare.
Rooms XX05- XX11 face the street and have king beds and, on the higher floors, an Empire State Bldg. view. There is not a lot of extra room other than for the bed and a small desk. I had problems with the HVAC, which is an individual unit mounted in the wall under the window. It may have been because we were in between hot during the day and cool at night, but in Cool mode we couldn't get it to shut off regardless of the temp. we set it at and it just about froze us out. Putting it in Heat mode turned it off but then we were sweating. The other negative was the small bathroom , the glass-enclosed shower in particular. It is quite long but narrow- I had to take a shower standing sideways facing the shower head.
The hotel has an unusual way of handling breakfasts for Diamonds. There is a menu divided into groups from which you can pick one or two items, but it isn't stingy. For example, you can get either pancakes or French toast plus bacon or sausage, etc, plus juice. Or you can pick two different baked goods or pastries. Or you can choose to use the continental buffet which has mostly carbs- breads, pastries, cereals and yogurts, etc. To the restaurant's credit, the main breakfast entrees were quite good. Ditto for the evening offerings, especially a salad which included 3 nicely seasoned lamb chops. I didn't get up to the roof top bar because it was a little nippy at night.
The lobby has a vibe like the "W's" or the Trafalgar Hilton- greys and metallic accents with pink fluorescent lights. They offer mini cupcakes by Baked by Melissa, but each one is about the diameter of a quarter- you'd have to grab about 10 of them to equal an average sized cupcake. The Front Desk staff seemed to be very friendly and attentive. There is a concierge but i didn't use her services so I can't comment on that. Overall I had a nice stay but in general I still prefer the Millenium Hilton Hilton and perhaps the Waldorf=Astoria over this hotel. If anyone has a question about something I didn't touch on, I'd be happy to answer it if I can.
Old May 1, 2011, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I stayed there this weekend.

I arrived just before 11 and no wait at check in. I had a nice young man named Lenny check me in. You have to use your room key to get to your floor in the elevator (and it will only get you to your floor so that can be an issue if you have friends on other floors staying there) Key card got me to my floor but wouldn't open the room. Went back down and had another clerk but Lenny was there and remembered my name and room number and got me another card and told me if it didn't work again to just call on the house phone and he would send someone up.

I was hungry and didn't feel like leaving the hotel and ate at rare their restaurant, and it was very good but overpriced but that is a new york hotel restaurant for you. The bartender Raggo was great and the hamburger along with the drink he recommended we both very good and I would recommend the parmasagn fries as well.

Breakfast was a voucher with a special menu and you could chose one hot entree and one side as well as a drink. The room services prices had juice at $6 and most of the entree at $16 to $20. The dinner menu was the same as the actual menu downstairs so I assume those are the same prices for breakfast so a good value. They also had a continental choice and they had a small contential buffet but I didn't if you could use the voucher on that.

They did turndown service and I cant remember the last time a hilton property did that. No lounge which would have been nice. I also didnt check out the roof top bar

There were only 3 elevators but wasn't bad except for lasty night when they took one out of service for a private event. Not sure what kind of private event they would be having on a guest floor and there was a dedicated elevator already for the roof top bar. I felt an elevator shouldn't have been taken out of service when they only have 3 for all the guest floors as it is.

There was an envelope to leave a housekeeper tip in which I have never seen in a hilton property either.

Checkout wasn't as smooth. My room rate was suppose to have been $239 a night and I was charged $319 for one night and $350 for the other. I went to the front desk to get it corrected and they only had 3 people working and they did have an HH line but it was for all HH members. They really need an HH line for elites as slow as the line was moving. I was able to get the bill corrected after showing them the email and not sure what happened that I was charged so much more but someone else was also complaining they were overcharged so I would recommend looking over the bill closely before checking out.

I also did an OLCI and had a corner room and was given a non corner room. Was told they couldn't put me in a corner room friday but could move me saturday and I just chose to stay in the same room.

The room is not soundproof at all, and I think the rooms at the HGI chelsea are a lot quitter. Rooms are also very small and no fridge or microwave like the HGI, but they do have K-Cup brewers for coffee. I really like the toiletries they use.

Unless the room rate is cheaper than the HGI, I will just stay at the HGI in the future. Only real advantages to the Hilton are the restaurant (and there are plenty of places to eat at in the area) and a better breakfast.
Old May 23, 2011, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
A kind of wanna-be W. Nice modern hotel for a Hilton. Thankfully missing a lot of the cheesey Hilton-ness. However, the place can't handle the volume. Each day there were hordes of people hovering with luggage for something in the lobby - check out or their room.

Check-in at 3pm, at 2:30pm told room reserved was gonna be "an hour". Come back in an hour and offered an alternative room but said the other room was gonna be "an hour" as well. I'm sorry Sir was the response. They called 4 hours later with the other room - I was like, umm...no. At least they called I guess.

The corner rooms -at least the floor we were on were adjacent to the service closet - so, the housekeeping staff kept opening/slamming the door all morning. Nice touch...

The elevator situation is a pain like others have stated. If you are running later, want a quick exit/entrance, or just wanna head around the block for a coffee it can be a 10-20 minute experience one-way.

The rooms at the Doubletree (also somewhat new) on 29th are smaller, kinda of basic, but is a whole lot simpler of a place. I usually prefer places like the hilton Fashion District/W's, but it's a not worth it when its so complicated to be there. Edit: Also noticed at DT, if you get a South facing higher floor, very sunny rooms with nice views (the latter really depends on the exact room due to the water tanks...)

Yes, the Tribeca HI or HGI are much better than both. Location and neighborhood.

Last edited by blitzkriegs; May 25, 2011 at 4:54 pm
Old May 23, 2011, 9:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond.
FYI. I live on this street. The people who discuss the look of the hotel, this was not a hilton design. Hilton took over and have kept the look the same. Location wise, its pretty good and close to most things.
Old May 24, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Thanks for the reviews, guidance. I'm going to check it out in a few weeks. I'm still undecided as to my favorite HL NYC property. Tried several, and haven't been overwhelmed. The journey continues.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 5:11 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Was just there.
Quite nice.
As Diamond was given a corner room and free breakfast coupons and free internet.
No complaints.
Room is smallish, but it's fine. No, not because it's NYC. That's just bull. I've had spacious rooms in NYC. But really this one is just fine for two. The layout made it seem more spacious that it is.
Well-equipped and clean. Flat screen. WiFi. Wired interent. Ipod plug in. Walk in shower. Keruig coffee. Inroom safe. Efficient AC.
Very pleasant service as well.
All very good.
I will definitely be back.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Excellent, thanks choptliva. I'll be there tomorrow. Sounding good.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: CX Gold, United Gold, BA Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I am here now and made a bit of a fuss to improve my room. I went from a low-floor corner room (which had street noise and service door noises) to a 20th floor room behind the elevator which has zero street noise but some elevator humming. And the room is smaller than the corner one. Arghhh. Cannot win!

Overall the hotel is cute and the restaurant is excellent. The executive lounge is sorely missed though.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Silver
staying next week, received the below email

Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:15 AM
Subject: Hilton New York Fashion District

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxxx,

Our staff is waiting to exceed your expectations.

We thank you for choosing Hilton New York Fashion District for your upcoming visit to New York City on July 5th. Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can do for you prior to your arrival.

As a Diamond HHonors guest, it is our pleasure to provide you with the following complimentary services and amenities:

 High Speed Internet Access
 Personalized direct phone number to room
 Your choice of points or breakfast
 In-room water bottles
 Nightly turn-down
 Access to our 24-hr Fitness Center
 Premium concierge services

Our on-premise restaurant, Rare Bar and Grill with an upscale burger concept caters to breakfast, lunch, dinner, and room service.

Rare View, our superb rooftop bar and lounge offer specialty cocktails, a full bar, and wines by the glass beneath the brilliant Manhattan Skyline.

We look forward to your arrival!

Sincerely,
Elle

HILTON NEW YORK FASHION DISTRICT
Elle Lee l Guest Services Manager
152 W. 26th St. l New York l NY l 10001
W 917.606.1355 l F 917.606.1363
[email protected]
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Hi FTers,
Will arrive late at JFK at around 8.30pm. Quite new to this district of NYC and wonder what's the good way to get from JFK to this Hilton? If taking a cab, how much is that?

Also is an upgrade to higher floor worth it? Or choosing points should be a smarter choice?

Still struggling to pick it among a few properties like HGI on the 8th; 35th....any comments?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Freddy2010
Hi FTers,
Will arrive late at JFK at around 8.30pm. Quite new to this district of NYC and wonder what's the good way to get from JFK to this Hilton? If taking a cab, how much is that?

Also is an upgrade to higher floor worth it? Or choosing points should be a smarter choice?

Still struggling to pick it among a few properties like HGI on the 8th; 35th....any comments?

Many thanks in advance!
If you want the extra points, you will forfeit the breakfast. I thought the breakfast was pretty good there myself, but there are a lot of places to eat at in Chelsea in that area. I wouldn't pay extra for a higher floor since the room layout will be the same, and if there is a higher floor available they will probalby upgrade you anyway.

To get to the hotel I would recomend using Carmel Limo (www.carmellimo.com). I always use EWR or LGA and if I use LGA I use carmel and if I use EWR I take the train from penn station. IIRC, it's a lfat cab fare from and to JFK. From LGA, Carmel is usually the same price, or can be cheaper if traffic is moving slow since you aren't charged for waiting time, but the thing I like about Carmel is you just call them as soon as you get off the plane and usually the car is there when you walk out the door, where you can wait a while in the cab queue. You could also take one of the NYAS (www.nyas.com) buses to penn station and walk to the hotel. I'd avoid those super shuttle buses since they make a lot of stops.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Thanks jamesteroh!
If I take NYAS and arrive at penn station, is it an easy and clear walk to the hotel given it will be 10pm?
With HGI on 8th and 35th as other options, will u recommend the fashion district?
Thx!
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Freddy2010
Thanks jamesteroh!
If I take NYAS and arrive at penn station, is it an easy and clear walk to the hotel given it will be 10pm?
With HGI on 8th and 35th as other options, will u recommend the fashion district?
Thx!
It's a really easy walk. Just walk down 7th ave and turn left on 26th.

I have never stayed at the HGI on 35th but have stayed at the one on 8th and the one in Chelsea. The HGI on 8th is my preferred Hilton property in NYC (besides the DT in times square). If you are a theater fan the HGI on 8th is in the theater district, but if you like to shop the fashion district hilton is near Macy's. I don't mind walking, and the hotels are probably about a 15 to 20 minute walk from each other or an easy subway ride. In all honesty I would go with whichever one is cheapest.

If you go with NYAS and stay at the HGI on 8th, I would take the bus to the port authority station. If I was arriving at 10 pm at night and staying on 8th I would just use Carmel, since times square will probably be pretty congested then and a pain to walk through with luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.