Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Seeking Best Property Advice: Myrtle Beach & DC

Old Mar 7, 2011, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC

Diamond member looking to cash in some points this June. Hertz has their usual great promo of $5/day rentals orginating in FL, so taking my 11-year old from FL to NYC...

During this trip, I plan on stays in both Myrtle Beach and DC. Looking for beach R&R in Myrtle Beach, and convenient location to sightsee in DC.

Appreciate any guidance on best hotels in each location, especially given travel with my kid and Diamond status in terms of upgrades.

Leaning towards Hilton Myrtle Beach resort (though Embassey Suites a strong option) and HGI downtown DC on 14th Street.

Thanks
Old Mar 8, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
The HGI on 14th Street is a fantastic location for sightseeing; you can walk easily to the White House among other spots, and there is a subway station right across the street. Some of the rooms are a little small as the hotel is in one of the older buildings downtown. If you'd like a little more space there is a relatively new (less than 4 years) Embassy Suites on K Street around 10th or 11th NW which might work well for you. It is the same basic neighborhood as the 14th Street HGI, you;d have about a 3-block walk to one subway line and about 6 blocks to another line, so easy to get around from here.

That particular neighborhood is a little spotty after dark so I would avoid using the little park as a cut-through from the subway if staying at the ES. The choices for dining are better in the daytime than the evening, as this is primarily a business district that clears out after 7pm or so; however, you would be very close to several neighborhoods with lots of evening choices, particularly Chinatown (which has about 2 actual Chinese restaurants left). Cabs within the city are cheap; a $6 ride from either hotel would have you in DuPont Circle or the U Street Corridor, a few more $ to get to Georgetown or Adams Morgan.

Keep in mind that parking in the city is quite expensive; I believe the HGI is close to $35 a day if not more. If budget is more important than convenience, some of the suburban Hiltons may be a little more affordable. You'd want one that offers shuttle service to the metro--- Hilton Alexandria Mark Center is one. Hilton Alexandria Old Town does too (I am fairly sure) and is in a really neat historic neighborhood, cobblestone streets, lots of shops and restaurants, but definitely not as convenient as the in-town properties.

Sadly I have not been to Myrtle Beach in ages so I can't help there.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & CP, Delta Diamond, HH Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by transporter99
Diamond member looking to cash in some points this June. Hertz has their usual great promo of $5/day rentals orginating in FL, so taking my 11-year old from FL to NYC...

During this trip, I plan on stays in both Myrtle Beach and DC. Looking for beach R&R in Myrtle Beach, and convenient location to sightsee in DC.

Appreciate any guidance on best hotels in each location, especially given travel with my kid and Diamond status in terms of upgrades.

Leaning towards Hilton Myrtle Beach resort (though Embassey Suites a strong option) and HGI downtown DC on 14th Street.

Thanks

The Embassy Suites Myrtle beach is in the same complex that covers Hilton resort. It is decent and has a big water park, and it is right on the beach.

But that is not my recommendation. Check into Royale Palms condos which are a Hilton property and connected via a walkway to the Hilton Myrtle Beach. The Royale Palms condos are fantastic and HUGE. Not sure what kind of budget you're looking at or if you are using points, but this is the first place I would look if I were you. I'm actually using my remaining Q3FN certs from last year for a stay at Royale Palms in June.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.