Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

basic questions re: Hilton "standard rooms"

Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:39 am
Original Poster

I am not a frequent traveler and do not know much about Hilton, but I am considering applying for the Hilton credit card with its bonus points. My question is about what a “standard room” is – since the rewards listed on the Hilton webpage state that the rooms are “standard” ones. (I have checked Hilton’s main website, FT’s Hilton sticky, and elsewhere, but could not find an answer.)

By going to several Hilton online properties (Las Vegas, Tucson, Seattle, Tokyo) I saw “guest room” listed (which seems to be a different term for “standard room”) and also "suites" and "executive rooms".

So, my questions are: Is a “guest room” what is meant by the term “standard room”? Do these guest rooms always/nearly always have the option for twin beds (instead of just one bed) – to accommodate two persons?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 12:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
A standard room is a basic room, which can have either two double beds or one bed. It will not usually be a suite or executive room, etc.

Usually the lowest price guest room is the standard room.

Hilton specifies standard room since they don't allow you to use rewards or suites or upgrades like some other chains do.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
A standard room is normally the lowest-price room the hotel offers. It might also be described as a Hilton bedroom, a guestroom, or something else. In the Hilton Orchard Road in Singapore, the standard room is called a deluxe room.

In most, but not all, cases, the standard room will offer the choice of a double/queen/king room or a twin/two double room, depending on the hotel. (Two doubles seems to be a popular room offering in North America, less so elsewhere.)
Old Mar 6, 2011, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Hilton doesn't define a standard room - nor does Starwood. This is a fairly big loophole in the breathless 'always able to redeem points for a standard room' feature of the loyalty programs. Classic, superior, deluxe - it's all a mystery as to what room descriptions (or even what subset of those) may, in fact, allow for redemption.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Oct 1, 2011 at 12:06 pm
Old Mar 6, 2011, 9:57 am
Suspended

Hilton AmEx Card

Originally Posted by muji
I am not a frequent traveler and do not know much about Hilton, but I am considering applying for the Hilton credit card with its bonus points. My question is about what a “standard room” is – since the rewards listed on the Hilton webpage state that the rooms are “standard” ones. (I have checked Hilton’s main website, FT’s Hilton sticky, and elsewhere, but could not find an answer.)

By going to several Hilton online properties (Las Vegas, Tucson, Seattle, Tokyo) I saw “guest room” listed (which seems to be a different term for “standard room”) and also "suites" and "executive rooms".

So, my questions are: Is a “guest room” what is meant by the term “standard room”? Do these guest rooms always/nearly always have the option for twin beds (instead of just one bed) – to accommodate two persons?
I am a Hilton customer and have had the Hilton AmEx card for about 7 years now. I like it for several reasons, including the fact that there is no annual fee. With that said, I usualy only use it for a Hilton stay for the extra points. I also have a DL AmEx card and once I get the 25K miies for the 10K MQMs, I switch to the Hilton card until midnight of December 31 when I return to the Hilton card.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 8:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Another similar term that means little but can be used by Hilton (and other chains) in bookings is "ROH" or "Run Of House" - meaning "whatever we assign to you". "Standard" is basically their basic basic room, usually the ROH as well.

As it turns out, as a Hilton HHonors member with status, many hotels go beyond a "standard" room when you use points for award stays - the Conrad Hong Kong gave me award rooms on the Executive Floor twice this year, once with a Victoria Harbour view, for example.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
You're entitled to your normal upgrade/MyWay privileges on a reward stay with HHonors.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.