Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Reading (UK) {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2021, 8:01 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Introduction Booked this property due to getting a reasonable rate and using it as a base to explore the southwest area of England for a 4 night stay. The hotel seems to be one of the newer hotel and fairly modern. They were at the tail end of the refurbishment of the F&B (Oxbo Restaurant) during my stay. Location The property is located just outside of Reading town centre and close to the M4. The hotel area seems to be a fairly new mix of residential area and industrial/company area. There's a few small shops around the area, but nothing much else. Without your own car, it might not be the most convenient location. Currently parking seems complimentary, hopefully this is kept as it is especially due to the location. There's 2 large retail park close by with the usual chains. Check In Arrived quite late in the evening to a rather empty lobby area. Was checked in quite fast - although for the first time in the UK, my ID document had to be copied. Not sure if this was due to corona as I did not ask. I did ask about the additional benefits as a Diamond member, but was informed it was just what was as per the HHonors site - no replacement for no lounge for example any welcome drink chits, etc. The associate tried to make the whole thing much better than it was but saying you get a nice Nespresso in the upgraded deluxe room and complimentary breakfast and complimentary use of the LivingWell fitness pool/sauna. Since it's hotel management that decides these items, did not make any fuss about it and accepted it with a smile. Room The room was located on the highest floor of the hotel (3rd floor or 2nd floor - depending on how the 1st/Ground floor is defined) facing the major road. I was initially a bit worried about this (I felt that I should have been informed of this during check-in), but luckily the noise isolation from external traffic was acceptable - it was only when cars/motorcycles revving their engine that would be audible in the room (includ sirens).The room was not too bad - sufficiently spacious and the usual UK Hilton type of furnishing - but much more modern compared to previous UK Hiltons that I've stayed. Climate control in the room was efficient and fan noise was minimal even at high fan speed. Wifi was also good and stable (option to login with your room number or code given at check-in - both options seems comparable). It was also a 1-login activation for the whole stay.The TV seems to have been replaced (?) as it was quite new and quite large (47"?) with the usual mix of local and international channels. Too bad they did not upgrade it for the use with the TV connectivity for streaming functionality. Hopefully this will be something the hotel will improve on in current times.The bathroom size was ok - and it was here that you could see that the hotel is not that new - but still very welll maintained. There's no walk-in shower but the usual bathtub and shower with a glass protection. Luckily this was sufficient to not wet too much the floor after a shower. The mirror was fog free - which was a nice touch.There was the usual tea/coffee making facilities and in this deluxe room, a Nespresso machine (only 2 capsules provided and replaced every day). A mini fridge was present - although it was clearly it needed unfrosting as the whole freezer section was engulfed in ice. (reported this to the front desk during check-out).Strangely at the working desk, they had a US type plug type but none for European plug type ( effect of Brexit?) - however there was something not working right with this series of plug on the desk as it seems the connections were not good - crackling sound could be heard and it does not work always). Only 1 of the 3-pin plug seemed reliable for use. Other than that, no other charging points at the bedside tables nor around the room. Bed quality was ok - matress was still firm but not too hard. Maybe the pillows could be improved - it was quite flat. In general sleep quality was ok. Breakfast The breakfast is at their Oxbo restaurant, which the breakfast area seems to be the first part that was open after the refurbishment. Breakfast selection was good - your typical UK Hilton options - mix of cold and hot items. Made to order eggs seems to be an option - but this was not really promoted. Quality of the breakfast in general was good.Service during breakfast was a mix bag - there were some really good servers, but also some that did not really want to be there. On one day, ordered eggs from sadly the did not want to be there server and nothing came nor any apology even when this particular server saw us leave. Luckily for the other days, the good and hardworking server was there and no issues. (He was really good at picking up your used plates/bowls). Overall All in all for the price I paid, it was a satisfactory stay despite no further recognition of elite members. I will for certain return if service level and value for money is at current level.
Thanks for coming back with a very detailed and interesting review of this property, I’ve not stayed at this one yet but I hope to one day soon......cheers.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 8:10 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Good report, thanks for posting. The hotel decor doesn't look to have changed in the slightest since I first stayed there (10+ years ago I'd guess). Rooms identical. The only change is the re-branded restaurant. The management has always done the minimum for elites as far as I recall, although they may have once upon a time dished out the occasional drinks voucher. I haven't stayed in years & based upon this review probably would chose another option in town when I need to be in/near Reading as this is a tad too far to the town centre to be convenient.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: Ihg diamond ambassador hilton gold
Lived across the road from this place and had parents stay, but tomorrow will be my first stay here.

Booked queen guest room an hour ago as gold for £86 but checked app and now in King Deluxe.

Will let you know how it goes
wizla likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by richardhall99
Lived across the road from this place and had parents stay, but tomorrow will be my first stay here.

Booked queen guest room an hour ago as gold for £86 but checked app and now in King Deluxe.

Will let you know how it goes
Brilliant, I have a stay booked here too for July 28th so would be interested in your report….cheers.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by wizla
Brilliant, I have a stay booked here too for July 28th so would be interested in your report….cheers.
Arrived a hour or so ago and headed straight to my room after parking the car in the underground parking. App says parking is free and will find out tomorrow

Passed through the reception without stopping as had digital key. The reception was modern, and airy with a buzz from the busy Oxbo restaurant.

Room was upgraded from Queen to king deluxe. Nicely appointed with views of the road, recycling centre and warehousing. A little noise from the road, but nothing crazy.

Will have a swim tomorrow and breakfast.

For those that don't know. You can walk to town centre along canal in 30 mins or catch a bus outside hotel and that will take ten mins tops. There is a small cafe called fidget and bob which is popular with locals in the piazza of houses 2 mins from hotel. Not much else around apart from football ground

​​​​​​

Old Apr 9, 2022, 1:06 am

Had swim at 7 when pool opened. Was nice and clean and had the place to myself until about 730 when some families started arriving. There was a sauna and steam room but didn't use. Lockers are £1 but risked it and out my phone with towel on a shelf by the pool.

​​​​​​Breakfast was served in the oxbo restaurant which gives off scandic vibes. No menu was offered for but waitress spoke me through options. I went for the ham and cheese Omlette which was nice. Also had buffet of usual items in the pic. Also porridge, beans mushrooms etc

Couldn't take that many photos at breakfast as there were some other groups in there but was pleased overall with good cooked, cold meats/fish and pastry selection.

Old Apr 9, 2022, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by richardhall99
Had swim at 7 when pool opened. Was nice and clean and had the place to myself until about 730 when some families started arriving. There was a sauna and steam room but didn't use. Lockers are £1 but risked it and out my phone with towel on a shelf by the pool.

​​​​​​Breakfast was served in the oxbo restaurant which gives off scandic vibes. No menu was offered for but waitress spoke me through options. I went for the ham and cheese Omlette which was nice. Also had buffet of usual items in the pic. Also porridge, beans mushrooms etc

Couldn't take that many photos at breakfast as there were some other groups in there but was pleased overall with good cooked, cold meats/fish and pastry selection.

Looks nice……. I look forward to my stay there soon, thanks again for the reporting, much appreciated.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 2:46 am

No worries.... Would stay again
Parking was free

​​​​​​
wizla likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:54 pm

I’m here tomorrow night ( Thursday) to break up a trip to Devon, booked Queen guest room and preupgraded to queen deluxe a few days back, today I open app to do OLCI and see I’ve been upgraded further to a king deluxe room so have completed OLCI to a room on top floor at the end as seems the best bet.
Should arrive early evening, may have dinner there / may not, will see.
Will do the usual live reporting for you lucky lucky folks......
Winniesbestfriend likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:26 pm

Arrived just now , free ample parking underneath hotel, reception quiet so got physical card, surly FD guy , no information, no breakfast times , etc….. he clearly didn’t want to be here.

ROOM - upgraded to king deluxe, top floor, it’s reasonably big, huge bed ( super king) comfy too….. two robes , air conditioning very effective, nespresso machine….all neat and tidy.

BATHROOM - fair size, shower over bath arrangement, two lots of toiletries , fluffy towels.

Plan is to eat in Bar/ restaurant tonight…..will report back!
MP001 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 3:19 pm

Arrived just now , free ample parking underneath hotel, reception quiet so got physical card, surly FD guy , no information, no breakfast times , etc….. he clearly didn’t want to be here.

ROOM - upgraded to king deluxe, top floor, it’s reasonably big, huge bed ( super king) comfy too….. two robes , air conditioning very effective, nespresso machine….all neat and tidy.

BATHROOM - fair size, shower over bath arrangement, two lots of toiletries , fluffy towels.

Plan is to eat in Bar/ restaurant tonight…..will report back!
DINNER - great food, great service….. we ate in the bar but the menu is the same as the restaurant, the restaurant looked nice .
It’s a warm evening so we planned to eat outside on the terrace ( this is a pleasant patio area to the side of the restaurant) but there was many wasps so we promptly moved inside.
I originally ordered the honey and mustard chicken but this wasn’t available so I settled for the oxbo burger, this was very nice, my lady had the pea and mint ravioli with chilli infused broccoli….. she said it was Devine.
Service was impeccable and I made sure I told the manager, credit where credit is due.

Now back in room about to retire, plan to get up early in the morning and use the spa before breakfast……will report back!
MP001 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 12:57 am

Up early, went to spa, it’s very nice, quite a small area but works well, 5 loungers, sauna and steam room.
Sauna nice, could have been a bit hotter, smallish pool , didn’t try steam room.
It was fairly quiet at 6-30 am ( opens 6am ) with just a few swimmers.
Now off to breakfast…..will report back!
Old Jul 29, 2022, 2:35 pm

Up early, went to spa, it’s very nice, quite a small area but works well, 5 loungers, sauna and steam room.
Sauna nice, could have been a bit hotter, smallish pool , didn’t try steam room.
It was fairly quiet at 6-30 am ( opens 6am ) with just a few swimmers.
Now off to breakfast…..will report back!
BREAKFAST - arrived 8-30am, reasonably quiet and shown to a table immediately…… this is a real nice set up, reminds me of Bankside somewhat, not quite as good but very similar.
Nice grapefruit juice and granola boats with Greek yogurt, I finished with some scrambled eggs on toast and it was all hot and tasty.
Coffee is self serve , I had a flat white but I feel it requires an extra shot ….I took this out onto the terrace to enjoy except the pesky wasps stopped play……back inside we go.

CHECK OUT - I done this online via the app and left key cards in room.

TIP - there is a short cut to the gym/spa via a lift at the far end of floor three.

CONCLUSION - Great stay, no issues, shower in room wasn’t particularly powerful but acceptable but that’s it, I will definitely use this one again if traveling to the south west.

ROOM NO - 321

NEXT PLANNED STAY - Hilton Puckrup Hall ( 5 / 8 / 22 )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.